PDA

View Full Version : Just a slice of the pie...

DreaminDutch
06-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Greetings all! As I have posted elsewhere in the forum, I am traveling to Amsterdam next week, and I would love to somehow share my trip with all of you! It would be such a comfort to have some fellow "Lupsters" with me to share in the anxiety, worry and fear of traveling with our companion wolf. I am bringing my laptop so that I will be able to keep in touch. I've only just joined and you have all made me feel like I'm part of your special family already. Thanks for that. My husband and I, and a close friend, travel to Holland every year, and every year I get so anxious about how I will feel and cope, Just the thought of the 8hour plus plane ride is enough to make me sweat. And I wonder if any of you can relate to this, whenever I plane travel, my symptoms always seem to flare afterward. Between the physical exertion of traveling and lugging luggage, the time change, and the pain, wasting hours napping is a huge temptation! It's such a bummer being in my favorite place in the world and in incredible pain, hiding it so that I'm not a complainer, downer and trip ruiner, and trying to enjoy living my dream. And I somehow manage to do so. It's not easy, but I always seem to wring the most out of each visit as possible! I decided several years ago that lupus is just a slice of the pie that is me, there are many other slices to indulge and nurture. Sure I have my lil pity parties here and there, heck we deserve them!! But to base my whole pie on just the one slice, well, I may as well just pack it in. Oh, and by the way...I sure do love pie! Any pie. LOLOL!!!
Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.
Warm regards to all!

rob
06-05-2009, 05:07 AM
By all means, say hello during your trip! I've mentioned that my Mother's side of the family is from Holland, I would love to go there one day. I used to travel alot, since the SLE diagnosis I have not been on a major trip, as I have many of the same concerns that you do. I need to learn from your attitude and get a slice of that pie too. Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Rob

Angel Oliver
06-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Mmmm i heard pie......mmmmm.
Oh it'll fab to read up on your fab journey.You can be our eyes and we'll experience some great times ahead.Have a safe and extremely enjoyable trip.You deserve this!!
love
Amanda.xxxx

DrinkofWtr
06-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Traveling is hard on us lupies. I always suffer a lupus set back whenever I go on a trip. I hope you will have a safe and pain free trip. We will be anxiously awaiting to hear from you. Holland sounds like such a wonderful place to visit! Enjoy!

abbasgirl
06-06-2009, 07:58 AM
I think that's great and understand how hard it is to travel also. I'd love to travel to far off places. A two hour car ride puts me down for a week or more.

Hoping and praying you have a lovely and relaxing trip. Thanks for taking us with you.

mountaindreamer
06-07-2009, 09:34 PM
hi dreamindutch,

thank you so much for taking us along with you....i can't wait to hear about the joys of your trip. Traveling is definitely an aggravator of our disease, but oh well, you will be in Holland and Amsterdam, nothing can beat that....we will help you with the symptoms.

flying first class can reduce the effects of air travel on your body, but can be very expensive. Also, i always request extra pillows from the attendant, and it helps to prop them around me. Also, if you let the flight attendants know of your problem, maybe they can place you in a seat with more room so that you can stretch out.

Lugging luggage, time differences, etc. are things we can't do anything about, except hope that they don't cause you a lupus flare.

Again, thank you for thinking about us, will anxiously await your updates.