PDA

View Full Version : breathing symptoms?

Sandra
06-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Hello everyone, here's wishing you are all doing as good as possible with the problem we share.
i have a question about lung invlovement. It has only been in the last year that I have aquired a respirologist to fit in with the rest of my ologists...as i have been having breathing problems. I am quite short of breath at times, usually in relation to a flare and fatigue. Can anyone tell me if the fatigue it's self can cause the breathlessness?
I know i do have some more physiological issues too, as my respir. has spoken to me about something called shrinking lung. This apparently is were althought the lung is healthy and full able to function on it's own, the muscles that help the lung contract and release to get a full breath under exertion are not working so well.

When i am exerting like gardening or carrying loads of laundry up and down stairs etc that's when I become short of breath. There is quiet a feeling of tightness and stretching that is painful and my throat gets kind of sore ans raspy. i also find i get feeling hot especially my face and it becomes flushed. I don't particularly feel tired or out of shape as i am quite keen to bee active and enjoy it but can say that after a struggle breathing happens it can really wipe me out so that i am pretty much done for the day.
The final thing with breathing is how it affects my sleep at night, I really struggle with the breathing problem when I go to bed which I find very strange as one would think that if there was anywhere one could breath easy it would be while laying doen and relaxing. But no, it wakes me right up out of a sound sleep, and again i feel I have been holding my breath and feel flushed and hot. Is any of this sounding familiar with what any of you deal with? Thanks, Sandra

Angel Oliver
06-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi,

Im not sure about the 'shrinking lung' but someone here will be along soon.Everything you describe i have with Asthma.I too wake up as if ive stopped breathing.Dont let that scare you as the human body will start the breathing process once your brain wakes.....but i know it is scary at the time.I think its time to call the doctor.You should at the least be on Ventillin to help with the breathlessness.This needs looking at...call your Doctor for advice.
Hope i helped a little.
love
Amanda.xxxxxxxxx

mountaindreamer
06-03-2009, 08:36 PM
hi sandra,

unfortunately, it appears that shortness of breath is a definite part of lupus. i always feel like i am having to strain to take a full breath, but it is especially bad when in a flare.

i am not familiar with "shrinking lung", and i know we will learn more about it....thanks for introducing this topic, i know someone will be along who can educate us on this.

Margie26
06-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi Sandra,

There is an article about the shrinking lung that I found when I was searching the internet for more info on how Lupus can have impact on the lung.

I'm experiencing the problems you described.

I have also pain in my chest which is giving me a hard time specially when I lay down to sleep

Here is a great article about lung involvement and Lupus.

http://www.hss.edu/conditions_14280.asp