PDA

View Full Version : medication dependence

scarlet13
06-02-2009, 07:00 PM
I have kind of an odd question. I am a recovering alcoholic/addict. I have been clean and sober for 7 years and am very proud of this. But now I am facing a delima. I know that some of the symptoms that I am having now could likely be significantly helped by medications that could be addictive (such as muscle relaxers, anti-anxiety meds, or painkillers). I am afraid to take some of these but my symptoms keep getting worse and I don't know how much longer I can take the symptoms. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

mountaindreamer
06-02-2009, 08:27 PM
hi scarlett,

yours is a very valid question. I am on some very strong pain meds and have to be careful about dependency, etc. Have you tried Plaquenil? this is the standard treatment for lupus symptoms, and many people get sufficient relief from this med alone. I don't know of any reason that dependency would be a problem with plaquenil.

Can you be up front with your dr. about your concerns, and will he/she be compassionate with you? There might be some ways of working around your previous addictions so that you can continue on the healthy road.

congratulations on your success. I know you have had to work really hard these past 7 years, and i admire your strength.

Saysusie
06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I ditto Mountaindreamers suggestion....be candid with your doctor so that the two of you can make accommodations for your previous addictions. I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Pearl
06-09-2009, 05:24 AM
You are to be commended for conquering your addictions. Take heart...there are non-narcotic, prescription medications available that have been shown to provide relief in some patients for lupus-related discomfort. Plaquenil is one. Mobic is another. I am sure there are more. Talk to your physician openly about your discomfort and about your concerns. If your physician is a good one, he or she will understand and will work with you to evaluate your best course of treatment.

Best of luck.

Jana