PDA

View Full Version : Beware of member named "Jessie"

rob
05-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Hello everyone,

I've discovered that a member who signed up under the username "Jessie" is a Spammer who uses the We Have Lupus Private Message System to send spam/advertisements to our legitimate members. Some of the messages sign off, or end with a link-DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK, it will attempt to download a virus to your PC with never-ending ads, popups, and who knows what else. This bogus member has been permanently banned, but I suggest if you have a PM from this spammer in your PM file, that you delete it, and do not click on any links in the message. Thanks everyone, and thank you to the person who brought this to my attention.

Rob

Larz77
05-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks Rob!! Didn't get any from them, but it's good to know. Would it help to tighten membership requirements to sign up?

Larz

iseedeadmonkeys
05-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Nah neither did i,

But do you remember that person i fell for that time on here?
lol i felt like a right pleb after!

peace
xx

KATROACH1972
05-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up Rob! I hate when people do that junk!

Oluwa
05-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the tidbit....no spammers yet in my box...

Some people are silly and/or mean. Weirdos!

L.
O.

Angel Oliver
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks Rob,

I did wonder why all day yesterday Jessie was private messaging all day.Now i know.Thanks for letting us know.I got nothing.

Amanda.xxx

Bonita
05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks Rob will be on the lookout bonita

mountaindreamer
05-29-2009, 05:52 PM
thanks rob,

i did not get any pms from this ruthless character.....maybe if they truly suffered like we do, they would understand how angry this kind of crap makes us.

rob
05-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks Rob!! Didn't get any from them, but it's good to know. Would it help to tighten membership requirements to sign up?

Larz

Hi Larry,

Tightening up membership requirements is probably not needed at this point. Since I'm aware of this new tactic, I know what to look for. It's amazing sometimes the elaborate, and futile effort so many will go through to make a dishonest quick buck. It makes you wonder why people don't apply all this thought, effort, and planning to legitimate ways of earning money. Such is life.

Rob

Pearl
05-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks Rob. I appreciate your watchful eye.

Jana

abbasgirl
05-29-2009, 10:24 PM
For once my foggy headed-ness has been a help. I got one from this spammer on the 7th. I thought she was just being friendly. I answered her question in reply and I never heard from her again. I thought that was strange. I never noticed the link until just now so I never clicked on it. Whew.

Dang spammers! What a heartless bunch!

Thanks Rob.

rob
05-29-2009, 10:46 PM
For once my foggy headed-ness has been a help. I got one from this spammer on the 7th. I thought she was just being friendly. I answered her question in reply and I never heard from her again. I thought that was strange. I never noticed the link until just now so I never clicked on it. Whew.

Dang spammers! What a heartless bunch!

Thanks Rob.

That's what really makes me angry about this sort of thing. This Jessie had half a dozen nice messages on it's profile page from people who I know, and some of whom I talk to almost every day here. Sincere words of concern, and acceptance. To see people's good will wasted on a person that might not even be a person, but an automated program that spends it's time finding ways to make money in a very dishonest way, for some scumbag who could care less, well, that's wrong in more ways than I can count.

Monique89
05-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Thanks, she sent it to me.....
Stupid people...

kim,l
05-30-2009, 01:05 AM
thankyou rob for being a watchfull eye for all of us . it always amazes me that there are such cruel and insensitive people in this world who think its funny to prey on people who already have enough things to worry about our computers are very important part of our life it helps us communicate but to these people it just another tool to make money and wreak havoc be well rob thankyou kim l

Saysusie
05-30-2009, 08:55 AM
So, I've been laid up for a couple of days and missed this thread! So, I repeat, what would I do without ROB?????

Thank you ROB for being so diligent in caring for all of us here at WHL and for always being on top of our members needs as well as our protection!
I didn't bother to look to see if I got a message from Jessie or if I responded to a message from her...Rob's warning was more than enough for me!
However, I have to agree with Rob totally on the fact that there were some members who provided heart-felt assistance to this jerk. But, as my mother always says, there is some good in everyone and everything. As such, I am not at all surprised that members of this WHL family will ALWAYS be kind, genuine, and willing to give of themselves to help someone else. Unfortunately, we live in a world where there are too many "takers"...but that never daunts us in our desire to be "givers". So, I am singing the praises of each and every family member of WHL and giving another "shout out" to our esteemed moderator, Rob!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

red246
05-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Rob,
Thank you! I had a message from this person and just hadn't responded to it yet. I'm always a little leary of people that I haven't talked w/in the message board that send pm's.

tiggerlishus - Heidi
05-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Hey rob

thankfully i had never got one of these messages but most of all i'm thankfull you one of our virtual guardian angels looking down on us!! thank you for all the hard work you do on here for us and still being there in a caring friend compasity so thank you rob thank you for everytihng!! Hxxx

Angel Oliver
05-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Yes.....i too want to say 'thank you' Rob for all the hard work you do here.We'd be lost without you.

love
Amanda.xxxx

mountaindreamer
05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
i know of several times that Rob has saved one or all of us from the low-life cowards that try to prey on us.

rob
06-02-2009, 07:40 AM
So, I've been laid up for a couple of days and missed this thread! So, I repeat, what would I do without ROB?????

Thank you ROB for being so diligent in caring for all of us here at WHL and for always being on top of our members needs as well as our protection!
I didn't bother to look to see if I got a message from Jessie or if I responded to a message from her...Rob's warning was more than enough for me!
However, I have to agree with Rob totally on the fact that there were some members who provided heart-felt assistance to this jerk. But, as my mother always says, there is some good in everyone and everything. As such, I am not at all surprised that members of this WHL family will ALWAYS be kind, genuine, and willing to give of themselves to help someone else. Unfortunately, we live in a world where there are too many "takers"...but that never daunts us in our desire to be "givers". So, I am singing the praises of each and every family member of WHL and giving another "shout out" to our esteemed moderator, Rob!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Thank you Saysusie, and thank you to everyone,

I appreciate it very much, but I cannot take full credit for what I do here. There are some sharp eyes out there amongst our various members, and I believe every single legitimate member of this forum feels that this is a very special place. As a result, you are all very protective of this safe haven that we have here. Many of the problems brought here by spammers and other troublemakers are only discovered by me after a sharp eyed, and vigilant member brings it to my attention. So you all deserve thanks as well.

Rob