PDA

View Full Version : ? about prednisone without lupus diagnosis

sickofbeingsick
05-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Hi everyone,

So I have posted here before. Still dealing with the same things. My question is this: my ANA came back negative, so I was told I do not have lupus but fibromyalgia, despite all other symptoms. (This is PCP provider, not rheumy). He put me on prednisone, and my pain got better. I thought that prednisone does not help fibro flares. Can the dr just treat my symptoms without a definitive diagnosis of lupus? The downside is that I am 39 and have osteoporosis and take fosamax for that, so I am a bit skeptical of prednisone. Any suggestions? I am so tired of drs thinking I am crazy. I know I'm not. I am just sick and tired.

abbasgirl
05-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Steroids can help a lot of pain. I'm no where near an expert, but I wonder if that's too powerful a treatment for fibro pain? I have no idea but it seems extreme for fms when there are other treatments to try for that.

Just because the tests say one thing doesn't really tell all. It's still a possibility it's Lupus and could be both Lupus and fms. Right now that's where my pcp is leaning...both Lupus and fms.

((((Hugs from a fellow 39 year old with possible Lupus and fms)))) Maybe you should get a second opinion from another primary doc?

sickofbeingsick
05-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! My dr has had me on soma and neurontin for about six months, with no relief. So he just tried the prednisone, and it helped. Boy I wish I knew what I was doing:)

abbasgirl
05-28-2009, 09:42 PM
:laugh:I wish we knew exactly what we're doing too. I got so excited when the decadron shot I was given helped with so much of my pain. I told my pcp that took care of the inflammation so well and she said, well it may not be inflammation. DOH! It sure is something keeping up with all one needs to know about autoimmune disease and drugs. I'm glad she's teaching me as we go. I try to soak up all I can on my own, but sometimes the brain just doesn't want to cooperate. Or I can't read doctor language and need the pcp to translate for me. I'm thankful for the help I get from here understanding all this stuff. All I have is the pcp and you all.

Monique89
05-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Hey there.
I was actually put on predisolone before i was diagnosed with lupus. I was given it after i was hospitilised with ITP, to help stop my body killing off my platelets. Funny thing was (well i thought anyway) the pain that i had been experiencing in my hands disappeared when i started the pred. Now i know more of course, and find out that pred is used for loads of things....
The medications really confuse me at the moment, sounds like its confusing for a lot of people with Lupus.