PDA

View Full Version : Another question about labs and diagnosis

shepherdgirl
05-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Sorry to ask so many questions, I know the past couple weeks I've posted several. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I'll be on the other side and be able to help someone else soon.
I just got back from the rheum and have my lab tests from 3 weeks ago. He told me my double stranded DNA was positive, but I didn't know what the number was. Finally today, I got to see it and it says that it is 13, which is positive according to the lab.
My ANA came back positive (fluorescence noted), but the titer is < 1:40, which says it is negative and it doesn't have a pattern listed. The rest of the tests listed were normal.
My rheum said that the double stranded dna is a very specific test for lupus and that being positive along with the numbness/tingling, fatigue, positive ana, and other symptoms, he can diagnose Lupus.
What do you think? I know you're not doctors, but you have all done a ton of research and lived with this.
I see another rheum on Monday for a second opinion. Mainly for my family's sake. My mom is still saying that she doesn't think I have Lupus and that she will need to see the results from a second opinion. Not that I have to prove anything, but it would just put everything at ease.
I'd love to hear what you think about the test results. This is a stressful time.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Angel Oliver
05-27-2009, 03:54 PM
You ask as many questions as you like.Im sorry as usual i dont know the answer to this....but someone will be here soon to help you with this.Goodluck with the second oppion, i think its a good idea,just to know for sure,for you and your family.Sending you gentle hugs
love
Amanda.xxxx

Oluwa
05-27-2009, 04:37 PM
HI...

I was diagnosed with the anti (ds) DNA test along with my current symptoms and my accumlative ones over the years.

Anti-(ds) DNA antibodies are found in half of the people with lupus, but lupus can still be present even if these antibodies are not detected. The diagnostic lab tests, CBC, SED-rate and etc are just part of the diagnose and not thee tool.

No single laboratory test can determine whether a person has lupus..lupus diagnose is made with clinical evidence too, your symptoms...you rhistory, family history.

Your labs maybe different tomorrow, A test result may be positive one time and negative another time and too.... Different laboratories may produce different test results...

Hope this helps..

Keep looking for your wellness.
Love,
Oluwa

mountaindreamer
05-27-2009, 05:43 PM
shephergirl,

Personally, i am thrilled to see you ask questions. This means you are learning, and that is one of the main reasons that this forum exists. There is no such thing as too many questions. When i first joined, i asked a trillion questions, you are far from the running for first place in asking questions....

Oluwa's advice, as always, is right on target so follow her direction... you must quit stressing over lab results, they change as much as other symptoms of lupus. Sounds like your dr. did a decent job of following diagnostic criteria, but, how did he treat you?

Also, don't stress over the opinions of others, no one will ever completely understand how lupus affects us. Let time work for you, when the time is right, you will know how to handle each person in your life, and you will do it. Until then, just cut yourself some slack, be your best friend, and learn as much as you can about your present and your future.

we will be here.

shepherdgirl
05-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks for your replies. I can't believe I was doubting the diagnosis. In my mind, my worst fear is that I'll get to the other doctor on Monday and he will say, "Nope, you don't have Lupus!". Then I'll be back at the beginning again.
I know I need to stop worrying about everyone else and what they think. It's hard for me, that's just who I am.
Right now I'm frustrated about many things, mainly because I'm so tired and can't play with my three year old. She is my life and when I'm home from work, I am mostly asleep. Right now, she is in bed. My coworkers are irritating me along with my students. Then, there is my body. Why can't my body just be a little bit consistent so that I know what to expect from one day to the next?
I guess it will all come in time. Today the doctor was much more pleasant than usual. He is wanting to start me on Imuran now that the Prednisone seems to be working. I'm excited to do that, but scared as well. It just seems like such a "big" medicine for being diagnosed so recently. For being diagnosed three weeks ago, I can't believe so much has been done.

mountaindreamer
05-28-2009, 07:09 AM
i know you feel like you are in a whrilwind....i went through the same thing, but everything will settle down, and fall into somewhat of a routine. I was also heistant to try new meds, but followed my dr. through the trial periods, and now i am doing much better.

glad you have a dr. that cares and is concerned about you.

gina
05-28-2009, 07:14 AM
What oluwa told you is correct from all my research also. have a great day:yes:

lucky7
05-28-2009, 01:10 PM
You're doing GREAT Shepherdgirl!!!! Dont EVER appologize silly!!!! Thats what we ALL do for each other:cute: Dont EVER doubt yourself either, YOU KNOW how YOU FEEL, always REMEMBER that. I too have questioned myself in the past, but i dont allow myself to do so anymore because I KNOW im sick and I KNOW my body better than anyone, so no dr can EVER tell me different!!!! WOO HOO to KNOWING what OUR BODIES ARE TELLING us!!!!! ALWAYS LISTEN to it too, it may seem like nothing big at the moment BUT why take that chance.:no: