PDA

View Full Version : Green Tea

Morpheus
06-20-2005, 04:14 AM
Hi there everyone, so glad to be with you all today!! :D

Anyway, I've been taking green tea (not regularly and the one infused with mint) for a while now. It has been said to do wonders for fatigue. However i'm not sure if it is ok for lupus.

Please Advise
:?: :?:

Saysusie
06-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi Morpheus:
I drink green tea primarily for the antioxidants. However, it has been said that green tea, already lauded for its cancer-fighting ability, may also protect against certain autoimmune diseases. Green teas is said to inhibit the expression of antigens made by the body, substances that can trigger an immune response. EGCG, a substance found in green tea, is known to suppress inflammation, and the effect that inflammation has on skin and salivary gland cells. In one autoimmune disorder, Sjogren's syndrome, the salivary glands are affected, causing dry mouth. In lupus, the skin is often affected.
A Dr. Hsu and his team conducted a study by isolating 130 autoantigens from cells and exposing them to EGCG. Autoantigens are molecules in the body with useful functions, according to Hsu, but changes in either their amount or their location can result in an unwanted immune response.
Of the 130 autoantigens "most were inhibited or without changes" when exposed to the EGCG, he said. "Among them, a group of key autoantigens were inhibited."
While the research is very preliminary, many people believe that drinking green tea might help protect cells from being attacked by the autoantigens. Besides applications for the dry mouth that affects those with Sjogren's, people drink green tea hoping that doing so might prove useful for the skin problems found in lupus.
Until there is conclusive research to the contrary, I personally will continue to drink green tea!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

JenHa55
08-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi there,

It's been a little while since I've logged on and typed something but here I am.

I love green tea, I'm a big fan. I was a regular tea drinker and made the switch to green tea about a year ago. I have found it helpful for energy and skin and I know it has plenty of benefit - and for me, it doesn't bother my stomach like most caffinated beverages do to me.

I drink green tea in the mornings and I love it.

SoleSinger
08-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi!

Now, if green tea suppresses inflammation, will it react with medication in anyway? Or is it hard on your kidneys at all? I was told that I couldn't take Advil, or echinaca or golden seal, or any of those kind of things because of medication and my kidneys... And well, golden seal beause it's an immune BOOSTER... But, is there anything to worry about along those lines with green tea?

andyman
08-23-2005, 04:21 AM
Saysusie:

I like the info on the Green Tea and it's inhibitions of antigens. I've been staying away from Greet tea and other caffincated products as I have kidney involvement. Do you, or does anyone else have data on Green tea and the kidneys?

Thanks!

Saysusie
08-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi Andyman;
Here is an article that I was able to find about Green Tea & Kidney Health:
" Green tea has shown to have protective effects on kidney health. Decreased kidney function due to aging and kidney failure can cause serious problems and sometimes even death. Making use of a wide-range of antioxidant protection is often suggested, and flavonoids, including green tea catechins, are very potent antioxidants. Epigallocatechin gallate was shown to induce antioxidant enzymes in the kidneys, as well as to reduce uremic toxins in the blood, suggesting improved kidney function in an animal model of kidney failure.
Kidney problems are often associated with high blood sugar and consequent glycosylation of various proteins (hence the strong link between kidney failure and diabetes). Since green tea has the ability to lower serum glucose, this is another way in which it helps protect against kidney failure. Likewise, the antioxidant properties of green tea likely play a significant role in protecting the kidneys. Since green tea has been shown to lower the concentrations of free radicals and lipid peroxides in organs such as the liver and the pancreas, this is likely to be true in the kidneys as well."
Keep in mind that Green Tea extract is an herb and many of our treaments and medications caution us about using herbs (such as echinacia, golden seal, etc.). So, I would use caution before I started any type of regimine with herbs (including green tea extract).
I drink green tea in the mornings as a brew. I do not use the herbal extract as a daily routine. My doctor is aware of my cup of green tea each morning but advised against my using the pills on a daily basis. So, I think it would be wise to discuss your use, or intended use, with you doctor to make sure that there are no contra-indications with your medications!
Best of Luck
Saysusie

JenHa55
08-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi Saysusie,

Great article. I checked with my doctor last year as well and she was happy with me drinking green tea in replacement of any other tea or coffee or pop - anythng like that. Green tea is much better for you, especially if you drink tea daily like myself.

She has no problem with me drinking green tea in the morning. I stop at around 1pm because I don't want to be up at night but that's because I have sleep problems with my Lupus.

Mitch
08-23-2005, 02:46 PM
I just read an article in a lupus newletter about the benefits of green tea. The only problems cited were possible interactions with certain medications. It just mentions the fact that you should first check with your dr. The list was:

Adenosine - green tea inhibiits the actions of adenosine - medication administered for irregular and unstable heart rhythm.

Antibiotics, beta-lcatam - green tea may increase the effectiveness of antibiotic by reducing bacterial resistance to treatment.

Benzodiazepines. Caffeine has been shown to reduce the sedative effects of benzodiazepines - commonly used to treat anxiety

Beta-blockers, propranolol and metoprolol (blood-pressure med)- Caffeine may increase blood pressure

Blood-thinners - Green tea should NOT be taken with warfarin because the herb contains vitamin K, and can render warfarin ineffective.
Similarly, green tea and aspirin should not be mixed because they both prevent platelets from clottings. Using the two togehter, therefore, may incrfease your risk of bleeding.

Chemotherapy - combinaton of chemo medications (specifically doxorubicin and tamoxifen), increased the effectiveness of these meds in lab tests. These results have not yet been demonstrated in studies of people.
On the other hand there have been reposts of both green and black tea extracts stimulating a gene in prostate cancer cells that may cause them to be less sensitive to chemo drugs. Given this potential interaction, black and green tea (as well as extracts) should not be taken while receiving chemo for prostate cancer in particular.

Clozapine - The anti-psychotic effects of the med. clozapine may be reduced if taken less than 40 minustes after drinking green tea.

Ephedrine. When taken together w/green tea may cause agitation, tremors, insomnia, and weight loss.

Lithium - Green tea has been shown to reduce blood levels of lithium )used to treat manic/depression)

Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MOIAs) - May cause a severe increase in blood pressure.

Oral contraceptives - can prolong the amount of time caffeine stays in the body and may increase stimulating effects.

Phenylpropanolamine - The caffeine in green tea and phenylpropanolamine (an ingredient used in many over-the-counter cough and cold meds and weight loss products) can cause mania and a severe increase in blood pressure. The FDA issued a public health advisory in 2000 to ure all mfgrs. to remove this drug from the market.

Mitch

SoleSinger
08-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Thank you all for the very helpful information! This is awesome!

andyman
08-24-2005, 03:39 AM
Saysusie:

Thanks! That's great! Can you tell me where that article came from and where I might be able to get it? I want to start putting together a binder with various sources. There's so much information out there. Also, when I go to talk to my doctors about some of this stuff I think it will help if I have something in writing.

Thanks again!

Andyman

andyman
08-24-2005, 03:50 AM
Mitch:

Great data on the green tea. Thanks!

Can you give me the source of your article? I'd like to start a binder with sources of information like this. I think it also helps with going over stuff like this with doctors.

By the by, where abouts in New Jersey are you? I grew up there but have been in California since 1980.

Andyman

Mitch
08-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi Andyman!

The article on the green tea came from a booklet I received from the Lupus Alliance of America. I had purchase from them some car magnets and I guess my name was on their "list" so I received a copy of their newletter in case I wanted to subscribe to it. It is called the Lupus Newslink. (Volume 14 - Summer 2005) I dealt with the Long Island/Queens, NY affiliate, but the main one is LUPUS ALLIANCE OF AMERICA, INC. 3871 Harlem Road, Buffalo, NY
14215 or www.lupusalliance.org. They list a phone #as well (866) 415-8787.

BTW, I'm in Saddle Brook, NJ (very small town in Northern NJ). I'd be shocked if you've heard of it. Near to Fair Lawn, Paramus to name a few.
How are you liking CA? I'm always interested when people move out of NJ and how it compares!

hatlady
08-24-2005, 05:11 PM
:D WOW! Another reason to love my green tea!

Has anyone read good info on coffee? I read an article recently that talked about its antioxidat properties - and now happily alternate between my (steam process) decaf and my green tea.

happy, a bit caffinated from the tea, and enjoying it all 8)

Saysusie
08-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi Andyman;
Here is the website that I found which had the article about green tea:

http://greentealovers.com/greenteahealthotherconditions.htm

Thanx
Saysusie

andyman
08-26-2005, 03:51 AM
Cool biz! Thanks for the references.

Mitch - I absolutely know where you are talking about. I was forn in Newark and I grew up in Wayne. I haven't been back to New Jersey in quite some time. My family all moved out to different areas of the country, myself included. I now live in the Los Angeles area.

Thanks again!

Andyman

andyman
08-26-2005, 04:00 AM

Mitch - I absolutely know where you are talking about. I was forn in Newark and I grew up in Wayne. I haven't been back to New Jersey in quite some time. My family all moved out to different areas of the country, myself included. I now live in the Los Angeles area.

Thanks again!

Andyman

andyman
08-26-2005, 04:00 AM

Thanks again!

Andyman