PDA

View Full Version : Diet?

Delphinia981
05-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Okay...I know I've posted about a ba-jillion threads. Don't want to be a post-hog, but it's still a few more weeks 'til I see my rheumatologist, and I want answers before then...LOL. Feel free to tell me to hush at any time. :laugh:

So...I know the basics...take your meds, stay out of the sun, don't drink or smoke...yadda yadda. But, what about diet? I eat a balanced diet, but don't know if there are any foods that are helpful (or that I should avoid). Anyone have any input?

Oluwa
05-24-2009, 07:13 PM
It's me again...lol.

My rheumatologist advised no processed foods, sugar or artificial sugars except Splenda and no alfalfa sprouts.

Many of us avoid inflammatory foods such as red meats...caffeine, dairy products, night shade plants..i.e. tomatoes , potatoes..too.

We also add anti-inflammatory foods or supplements containing Omega 3, fish oils, salmon, olive oil, flax seed oil...bright foods and vegetables, soy...almonds...

My rule is try not to eat anything in a colorful wrapper. Eat whole fresh foods and clean...

Though I don't follow everything hardcore...I do pretty much.

I supplement with 2400mg Fish Oil
Super B-Complex.
Iron 65mg.

Love,
O.

Delphinia981
05-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Ugh...no dairy products, caffiene or tomatoes?? Shoot me now!!

Seriously, though...it makes sense. I'm not a big red meat person (tears me up), but I virtually thrive on tomato sandwiches, and drink milk like I need it to live. I'm not a big soda person, but I do love a cup of coffee or black tea. Not so much for the taste as much as I need it to stay awake some days!!!

I am a seafood nut, though...so I guess that's a good thing. Am already taking fish oil and flax seed. Wouldn't mind trading out milk for soy milk (I dig the taste). Maybe I'll try that and see what happens.

Thank you again, Oluwa. You never fail to impress!!

Sandra
05-25-2009, 08:15 AM
This is a concern for me too. I'm flaring pretty bad right now and so my stomach. gallbladder, GI tract pretty much tell me what and how much if any.

I saw a surgeon on the advice of my rheumy about my gallbladder but was told that there is nothing wrong with the gallbladder unless there is a flare and then if he was to remove that he would have to take the stomach and everything else to control the problems....

I find in a flare I need to eat differently, mostly unfortunatley breads, crackers or soups and then the rest of the time is soup. And then lots and lots gentle veggies squash, peas, corn, etc and then lots of melon and canned peached or friut cocktail. Kind of like an old timers diet. Do you ever have a problem eating period?

Wow how does one not use tomatoe and pototoe for cooking? I don't do much meat either as it is just to hard to digest similar issue with dairy (lactose intollerant) I do a bit of soya, lots of olive oil because i don't like fish much
I drink a little decafe coffee and tea but lots of blueberry lite especially when I'm flaring, tons of water, it's a real trick sometimes.
As far as sugar I use organic when I use any but for the xylitol ( a natural root vegetable sugar) as it helps control the oral yeast I get from being so dry. Sandra

Delphinia981
05-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Sandra,

Suggest a Gallbladder Emptying Scan to your rheumy. I had the same kind of issues you had back in 2004, but no ultrasound or CT ever showed anything. Once I had the emptying scan, it showed that my gallbladder was barely functioning, and I had it removed immediately. It had become gangrenous, and the surgeon that took it out said that trying to take it out was like trying to remove a ball of wet tissue paper.

Listen to your body, and don't take no for an answer until you have explored all options. Best of luck to you.

Oluwa
05-27-2009, 03:12 PM
You're welcome Carrie and thank you for the compliment.

Love.
O.

tasha
05-27-2009, 11:10 PM
i eat boat loads of dairy products, artificial sweeteners, red meats, caffeine, tomatoes, etc etc. and yet i've been improving drastically lately. i have never once gotten any decent answers from doctors when i ask about diet, so i just don't do anything. and i haven't had a problem.

as with any lupus problem, every person is different.

gina
05-28-2009, 07:11 AM
My doctor says the best diet is not to eat anything white or has sugar, lean meats fresh vege's. she says that the best for everyone not just lupus patients.:yes:

lucky7
05-28-2009, 01:37 PM
A "GOOD" well balanced diet is whats BEST for all. I try to go as NATURAL as i can, Organic. Oluwa summed it up very well:cute: Even food colorings in for example, gummy bears, can be hazardous to our health. I payed attention next time i ate them and, WOW, i flared. I always felt bad after eating them bu ti never knew why. FOOD COLORING:no: Even more specifically, BLUE#1 and BLUE#2, these dyes can be used alone or with other dyes to color foods. Blue, purple and green foods such as drinks,candy,cereal and icings have these dyes in them. These dyes HAVE been to causing cancers as well. Our bodies are that much more touchier and so many foods and drinks are hazardous to the average healthy person, so for us its even MORE hazardous. So thumbs up to natural!!!!:thumbs-up: