PDA

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia Diagnosis?

Delphinia981
05-24-2009, 03:37 PM
I was "diagnosed" with fibromyalgia a few years ago. Took Lyrica for a while, but it didn't do jack squat. Now, it appears that the pain I was experiencing was just the Lupus...or was it? Does anyone else have fibromyalgia, or a previous diagnosis of this? I'm just curious as to the possibility of having both conditions (yikes).

Angel Oliver
05-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi Carrie,

Yes MountainDreamer and a few other members here has it.I do too,but im not the right person for advising on it as my diagnosis is in the air at the mo with the Doctors lol.You hang in there and watch other members post to this thread with fab advice for you.

love
Amanda.xxxxx

Oluwa
05-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi Carrie...

It is common to have overlapping diseases/syndromes. Many of us have both SLE and FMS. Saysusie and Mjodette too to name a few. I was also diagnose with Fibromyalgia, but I am in denial about it....probably because it is hard for me to distinguish which is which that causes me pain....

Although lupus most often occurs alone, many people with lupus also have symptoms characteristic of one or more of the other connective tissue diseases. In this circumstance, a physician may use the term "overlap" to describe the illness. There are several well-recognized overlaps that may affect people with lupus.

Like Sjorgren's (SS), a syndrome which I have also...and others here have it too. This also cause joint and muscle pain...it is refered to as the secondary while Lupus is my primary disease. Making SS mild of the two. Mainly the dry eyes bother me with SS.

It reads...
The majority of people with lupus have lupus alone. Between 5 and 30 percent of people with lupus report having overlap symptoms. The likelihood of a person with lupus also having an overlap disease is 15 percent, distributed as follows:
Overlap Disease Approximate Rate of Occurrence
Rheumatoid Arthritis 1%
Polymyositis-Dermatomyositis 2%
Mixed Connective Tissue Disease 3%
Scleroderma 4%
Sjogren's syndrome 5%

Happy Sunday.
Love,
Oluwa

mountaindreamer
05-24-2009, 05:47 PM
hi del

i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia (fms) 13 years ago. I can tell the difference between the lupus and fms pain by the location. When i get the intense burning sensation in the specific pressure points, i know it is fms, and i take a pain pill and go to bed. Other than that, lupus and fms seem to overlap and get blurred. I tried lyrica, but i did not handle the side effects.

it is truly a small world.

Delphinia981
05-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh...well, I guess I should feel special that I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis....*groan*

I should probably research the "pressure points" of FMS...because I know that "burning sensation"...had it today, actually. Almost like someone put Icy Hot on me. Craziness.

Oluwa, I can understand your thinking...I hurt as bad now as when I was diagnosed with FMS. Doesn't seem like the SLE has "added" much to it. Since the Lyrica didn't work for me (and yes, Phyllis...I had terrible side effects as well), it's hard to "distinguish" what pain is what. Not to mention that I also have the RA...I've got three things causing me pain, and no idea which is which or what is what. Fun times!

Guess I need to do some reading up on each and talk to my rheumatologist...

tiggerlishus - Heidi
05-25-2009, 02:24 AM
Hay carrie i to have multiple diagnose i quite often say how lucky am i to have letters after my name - SLE, FMS, APS, PCO, RA, astma have not found intials for thIS one lol i am also being tested for sjogrens and raynauds thou the fms is quite arecent diagnose i still find it difficult to tell apart the pain but hay we're get there X

mountaindreamer
05-25-2009, 07:13 AM
hi carrie,

the rheumy can do a simple pressure point test and you will know immediately, because the pain will make you want to slap the dr. I describe my fms pain as feeling like someone is holding a lit cigarette to the point....the heat and pain is like nothing else i have ever felt.

hey heidi, it would be fun to find a word that uses all of those initials. Wonder what it would say.

Delphinia981
05-25-2009, 08:37 AM
LOL...my professional title is RT (R), ARRT...add to that all my diagnoses...I'd be Carrie Henry, RT (R), ARRT, SLE, RA, FMS. I should add "LMNOP" for good measure.

tiggerlishus - Heidi
05-25-2009, 08:55 AM
LOL...my professional title is RT (R), ARRT...add to that all my diagnoses...I'd be Carrie Henry, RT (R), ARRT, SLE, RA, FMS. I should add "LMNOP" for good measure.

see now doesn't that make you chuckle :-) it does me and they say if you smile the wrold smile with you lol :laugh:

Delphinia981
05-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Amen to that! I'm making today a good day despite my swollen knuckles!! We're going to the War Cemetery to put flags on the graves of the fallen soldiers today, and Annie is coloring flag cards to send to soldiers overseas. Today isn't about me and my Lupus...it's about freedom and thankfulness!!

tiggerlishus - Heidi
05-25-2009, 11:20 AM
ahh what a glorious thnig for you to do and way to think for the day hope you have peaceful day of rememberance my love to you and your family carrie xxxx