PDA

View Full Version : MTX First Time Today

magistramarla
05-24-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm going to take my first dose of MTX today, and I'm pretty nervous about it. I've had to put it off for a few weeks because I had some oral surgery done and the dentist has had me on antibiotics for a while.
I've heard that the MTX does bad things to your stomach and appetite, so I'm planning to enjoy myself first. Tomorrow is my daughter's 30th birthday, so we're taking her and her husband out to a fancy restaurant tonight. I'll take the meds after I enjoy my great meal. I'm really scared about how that stuff will make me feel tonight. At least I don't have to teach tomorrow, so I can recover for a day. The next 4 days will be easy at school, since my students will be presenting their end-of-year projects and I'll just have to stay awake to grade them. The next week is final exams, and then I'm outa there!
Does anyone who takes MTX have any advice for me? What can I expect besides feeling sick?
Thanks,
Marla

Oluwa
05-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi Marla..hugs..I wish I had some advice but I have no experience with it. Iseedeadmonkeysstarted a thread called M day..let me find it...a few girls talk about their experience...

Here it is...http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?t=5051

Geez I don't know whether to wish you luck, feel bad... I will pray it will be a mild event and the ones to follow are too and your fear will subside..

Thinking of you, Marla..hugs.
Love
Oluwa

Angel Oliver
05-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi Marla

Just to say, hope it goes ok, the first dose and hope you feel the benefits after.I hope you read ISDM thread as she takes it with other members here and fully know and understand that drug.I'll be thinking of you tonight.

Sending gentle hugs
love Angel.xxxx

Oluwa
05-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Hi Marla...

Checking in on you...Hoping you made it through your first day with MTX....

Rubbing your tummy...
Love,
Oluwa

magistramarla
05-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi Oluwa and Angel Oliver,
Hey, it wasn't as bad as I had expected!
I enjoyed a wonderful gourmet meal for Hillary's B-day. I had an arugula salad, pork tenderloin with chipolte and raspberry sauce on a bed or orzo with spinach, and a white & dark chocolate mousse with cappuccino for dessert.
I waited for that to settle a bit before I took the MTX with some chamomile tea. My tummy felt a bit queasy, so I cuddled on the couch with my flame point Siamese, Casper, and watched the news. I got REALLY sleepy.
This morning, I still felt a bit queasy, but not too bad. I managed to drink my morning cup of coffee and some warm rice & milk. I don't think that I'll feel like doing a whole lot today, but at least I'm not incapacitated.
We're headed out to the car dealership now. We have to finish all the paperwork on our new car! We bought a Prius for driving in California! My hubby is in computer geek heaven! That car has so many gadgets and readouts, and he is having way too much fun! I'm the car nut in the family, but this time, he's the one who is all excited about the car. I told him that I'll put up with the Geek mobile in Cal., but when we move back to SA, it's all his. That will be when I buy myself a luxury car, perhaps a Cadillac. Right now, I'm driving a beautiful 2001 Olds Aurora with leather seats and everything luxurious on it. I'm not really happy about giving it to my son. He tends to wreck cars. He recently wrecked his Nissan 350Z sports car.
I just keep telling myself - Change is good!
Love,
Marla

rob
05-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Hi Marla,

I don't blame you at all for being nervous. I started a new MS drug about ten days ago, and yes, I was nervous. I'm glad you were prepared for it, and it ended up being easier than you thought it would be so far. Jane/iseedeadmonkeys is pretty much the MTX expert here. I've never taken it myself.

That's one heck of a meal you had! Sounds like some 5 star cuisine to be sure. One of the small benefits of having to deal with all this difficult stuff-it's a good reason to splurge and treat ourselves from time ot time. I'm glad you are doing OK.

Rob

P.S. Sorry about your son wrecking the 350Z-I hope he's OK. I have one nephew who wrecked his Nissan Pathfinder, and another who was stopped going 130 mph in a 65 zone-STUPID! No wonder insurance is so high for young men.

mountaindreamer
05-25-2009, 07:59 AM
hi marla,

so sorry i did not see your post yesterday, but it is probably a good thing. I would have recommended that you take it easy on rich foods before taking your MTX ( are you taking pill or shot?) Your dinner sounds absolutely delicious - made my mouth water just reading about everything.

I try to eat solid, non-spicy food the day of my injection, and then the day after, i really stay with mild food, avoiding anything to increase cramps. my dr. also gave me a "recovery med" to help with stomach issues - it really helps.

I always eat a special chocolate dessert after my shot, and this helps with the mind so i think it helps with the tummy, ha ha ha

i am so glad that you have tolerated your dosage....my experience is that i feel really rotten the day after, but after that first day, i wake up and feel much better. I never plan anything for tuesday, just in case i have extra trouble.

have fun car shopping,

mnjodette
05-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Marla, so glad your MTX experience was mild! With pills some folks get really, really sick and they opt for the injection to reduce that nasty side effect. I have three good friends who take it. Two have had the usual nausea and wiped out feeling the next day; one has almost no side effects. I took it for about six months when I was first diagnosed, but it wasn't doing what the doc wanted it to do, so I switched to another immune suppressant. I had no side effects, fortunately.

Your meal sounded sooooo good...it's nice you could enjoy that with your daughter!

Hope all of your doses go that well.

Jody

leannjax
05-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Marla:
I can feel for you. I'm also an educator and deciding when I'm finally going to "swallow my poison" on Meth day is tough for me. I literally have to make myself take it and I usually choose Sat mornings so that I am feeling better by Monday to go back to school. Saturday eves and Sun morning is the worst time for me. I choose to eat mild foods so that my nausea doesn't become vomiting. Also, I sleep alot like you. It's ok. You need the rest while your body is being hit by the medication. I find that I have less nausea the more I rest and lie down.

I am asking my doctor next time for info about the injection rather than the Meth pills. I am ready for the tummy troubles to be gone! I can handle sleepy and weak.....nausea is not my friend.

A few more weeks and school will be out for me. How about you?

mountaindreamer
05-25-2009, 04:16 PM
hey marla,

i just posted some information under the M day thread, you might want to check it out.

magistramarla
05-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks, Leann & Phyllis,
I'm feeling pretty good by now - it's early evening where I live. I never did have any cramping. The queasiness never progressed to anything worse. I just felt very wiped out all day. However, it didn't stop me from running to the grocery store in the new car and making a BBQ chicken dinner. I just ate a nice dinner, and I'm feeling fairly decent. I'm a bit of a gourmet cook, and I love to eat what I cook! It would take a whole lot to keep this old girl from cooking and eating!!! I hope that later doses of the MTX aren't any worse than today.
Leann, My school year is nearly over. My students will be presenting their end-of-year projects for the next few days, and if they finish early, we'll watch a film on Friday.
The following week will be four half-days of exams, and then I'm outa there!
We're moving to California in the fall, so I'm really outa there!
I really must mention the chocolate idea to Jeff this evening - sounds like a great idea to me. The shame is that I won't be able to have some wine with that delicious dark chocolate.
Marla

mountaindreamer
05-25-2009, 04:46 PM
marla, you are soooo right...a glass of wine with a yummy chocolate, OMG how good would that be....but, i guess we will just have to dream about such a treat.

magistramarla
05-28-2009, 06:48 PM
OK, I've decided that I REALLY hate this stuff. I have been a bundle of nerves all week (not good when you deal with teens all day). It has affected my sleep every night - I'm just not resting.
The worst thing is that I can't take my NSAID, so the pain in my knee and hips is much, much worse. Is it ever OK to take a NSAID while on MTX? It seems that I've only gotten worse since taking it, and I'm REALLY stressed out at school.
The second worst thing is that I can't have a glass of wine to relax, either!
Marla