PDA

View Full Version : My Rheumy Appt

Mommyof1
05-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Hello all. As Im sure you know you have heard about my appts with rheumys and failed attempts at a diagnosis or treatment. I saw a new rheumy last thursday at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore MD. My appt thursday went well. I love my dr. She is so sweet and even said "your symptoms are very real and I think we need to look into this." They dont want to put a stamp on what I have or say it could be this or couldn't be they just want tests done first. My symptoms can be seen in autoimmune but are not specific. They ordered a blood workup which included: CBC w/diff & platelets, CMP, ESR, CPK, CRP, Tsh and Tr(thyroid), Complete urinalysis and also protein and creatine, ANA, ANCA, Anticardiolipids, AntiDNA, AntiRNP, AntiSSA & SSB, Complements 3 & 4, Hepatitis C immuno., Lymes, an RA panel, Beta 2 glyco. IGG and IGM and the lupus Anticoagulant. I got that done thursday after the appt and should know something next week around monday or tuesday. I am also getting an MRI of my brain and spine, an xray of my lower back and hips, an echo on my heart, nerve conduction studies of both legs and arms. I feel like I am forgetting something lol Anyway, she told me not to worry that it was her job and go home and spend what time I have with my son. She said she is sorry I have had to feel so bad for so long but she is going to figure out what's going on. I feel the appt was a success and am not even worried that they wont treat me till they know what is up. She gave me her email and phone number and said call or email her whenever I want if I have a question or need someone to talk to. I have been wondering why I am so special lol I mean does she always get this personal to her patients? lol I dont mind it a bit im just curious. I really dont know what to expect out of these tests except that I know something is wrong and so does she. Thats what mattered most to me because no other dr would admit that. I have to go back in a month for a followup but like I said she will get in touch with me about blood work sooner. At least that will be one piece of the puzzle. She is testing for lupus, RA, sjogrens, vasculitis, lymes, and even thyroid disease. She wants to see me back in a month for a follow-up and in the meantime have all these tests done. I think I am finally on the road to wellness. Keep me in your prayers and I hope you all are doing well!! *hugs*

Angel Oliver
05-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Oh im so glad you found a compassionate doctor. Very rare in my experience.Well actually my Doctor is now nice lol...after a few words from me lol.
Dont you worry about her giving all the contact details. I think they realise you are in so much pain and have been left long enough.Now is your time to feel at ease and this doctor is helping you be at ease. And so you should. Just wait for the blood results and rest and live now.Everything now is being done to finally help you get the answers you have so waited for. Hopefully you should have an answer very soon and get the correct meds and help..to make you feel 'ease' at long last. Dont you worry!! (even though i know we all still do).
Sending you lots of hugs
love
Amanda.xxxxxxxxxx

Numpty
05-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Oh wow, I wish that was my doctor. I mean don't get me wrong, the one I have is perfectly lovely but I only see her once every 6/8 months and I could certainly use contact in between. I'm jealous now ~hugs~

Angel Oliver
05-24-2009, 03:54 PM
When you next go to your appointment, tell your Doctor that 6 to 8 months is too long at the moment as you need more support from him until you feel a bit better.The Doc should be ok with that.Also let the doc know about others on here who have other contact numbers if the patient needs a word.....you never know they may give you a number.I say this becaise for the first time i stood up to my doctor and told him 6 months is far too long....and he gave me his secretary's number too.No harm in asking.Good luck.

love
Amanda.xxxxx

mountaindreamer
05-24-2009, 06:32 PM
hi mommyof1,

wow, it sounds like you have found a truly compassionate dr. who is knowledgeable of the true magnitude of lupus. I think you should take her advice, enjoy your little one, and let her figure out what to do next. Sounds like she ran the full gamit of blood work, and i am sure all answers will be answered very soon....finally.

sounds like she really knows how much you have been hurting, and she wants to make you better....that is wonderful. the last time i saw my dr., i was pain free due to us starting me on methotrexate. My dr. was so happy, she hugged my neck twice.

Keep us posted when you get the results, and again, congratulations on finding a great dr.

Mommyof1
05-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I am getting my MRI with gadolinium(contrast dye) tuesday and my echocardiogram done thursday. My primary dr wasn't sure about gettin the xrays done because they are of my pelvis and he didn't want to shoot all that radiation into my ovaries if he didn't have to. At least he is thinking of me! lol Anyhow, if the MRI comes back abnormal we will probably go ahead with the xrays. I also have to get nerve conduction studies of both legs and arms. I had them done on my legs too before and ouch. Im not sure when that will be. I am still waiting on the rest of my blood results too. My dr is supposed to call me when she recieves them. After all the tests we should have an answer and my next appt June 25th the way its going I think I will possibly have some treatments! yay! lol I hope everyone is well. I am going into my 4th week of flaring..ehh...trying to keep my spirits up though :) *hugs* to all. -Brittanee