PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here...

kat_eyes
01-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Hi, someone I know was recently diagnosed with lupus.

I was wondering how to help family members cope with this disease.
Jane seems to be coping fine, she does get depressed at times but over all she is a strong young woman and she's learning to accept her condition and take care of herself.

Karen, Jane's mom, has not been dealing with this very well. Ever since she knew about lupus she has become depressed, she has lost alot of weight because she tries to keep busy to avoid thinking about her daughter, she is currently weighing 94 and she's 5'2.
I do not know how to help her, I don't know what to do to ... I love her so much and she is completely distroyed.

I'ld apreciate any feedback

dexatek
01-10-2003, 07:39 AM
Jo, I know that your maid's daughter is young but I have had Lupus for at least 13yrs. We are living in better medical times and now have much more medicine for the disease than we use to. That does not mean that the hurts and the depression is still not active in our minds and bodys but there use to be a time when you were told you had Lupus and that was it, no help for you. Try and pass those thoughts to your maid the postive ones. Also I'm sure the young girl with the lupus is scared and worried but trying to keep up a good front for her mother. Jo, you are a good friend to try and help, God Bless You,

Saysusie
01-13-2003, 09:24 AM
kat_eyes;
Here are some books that I have found to be very helpful for me and for my family. Perhaps they will help your maid and her daughter:
The Lupus Book: A guide for patients and their families by Daniel J. Wallace

Coping With Lupus: A guide to living with Lupus for you and your family
by Robert H. Phillips.

Hope this is helpful
Saysusie