PDA

View Full Version : Happy Memorial Day....

Rastagirl
05-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Just wanted to wish everybody here at WHL a Happy and Safe MEMORIAL DAY :unitedstates: ....

Please remember to include a way to honor ALL OF OUR VETERANS

for their courageous service to their Country. I personally, will be reflecting on the amazing Freedoms we enjoy because of their sacrifice.

Hope you have a wonderful Holiday weekend, and be safe!

much Love,

:cool2: Lori

scubagramplit
05-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Lori
Good morning. Thank you for the memorial day wish, praise for all our servicemen & women that put theire(spelling brain cramp?)lives on the line every day so that America can enjoy the freedom that we have. And God bless and comfort those and their families that have paid the ultimate sacrifice for this great nation.

could not sleep all night so I thought I would post a couple more pictures, hope you like. Now what do you mean we look mischevious? haha, I guess I can't deny the pic of McKenzie and me.

I made the mistake of not taking sleep med. last night, instead had one glass of wine just to see if that would help sleep, did not work so very much good. Hope this finds you doing well and you have a wonderfull memorial day weekend. God bless, Jim.

Lala
05-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Happy memorial Day friends!!!
I am also honored and amazed by our veterans and the sacrifices they have made. My dad was a Korean War Vet, he passed away when I was 16 but I remember all the things He told me about war, I have shared this with my sisters, they were much younger, and my kids.
We will visit my son and his wife and the 2 grandkids. Can hardly wait!!! they live a couple hours away and we do not see them much.
Grace and peace.

magistramarla
05-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the support from the military wife on the board:
Husband - Lieutenant Colonel, USAF
Son - Marine & Iraq War Veteran
Son-in-law - Airman, USAF
Father - US Navy, WWII & Korean Conflict
Father-in-law - Marine, Korean Conflict
2 Brothers-in-law - Marines
1 Brother-in-law - US Navy
Both of us have a long line of military heroes in our families, going all the way back to the Revolutionary War, so we know what it means to be a military family.
I feel blessed that my son came back safely from Iraq, and I feel for the mothers and wives of those who did not. Now I worry for my daughter, whose husband is training to be a para-rescuer.
Marla

mountaindreamer
05-23-2009, 08:06 AM
thanks lori, what a great opportunity for us to remember our brave military personnel and their families. I lost a very good friend in the viet nam war, and your thread caused me to stop and say a private thanks to him and his family for their ultimate sacrifice.

Marla....what a history your family has...thanks to you and every member of your extended family.

To all verterans, this country would not enjoy the freedom that we do if it had not been for each of you. Thank you,

Pearl
05-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Ditto. Thank you to our servicemen and women and to their families. I am humbled by their sacrifices.

Jana

ButterflyRN
05-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Happy Memorial Day to all of you and those that defend our freedom!

froggal
05-23-2009, 10:21 AM
:usa:I am from a Marine Corps family . . . everyone in my family joined the Marine Corps. My husband is also a retired Marine. I love the USA!!! I am an officer at my local VFW and I want to give a shout out to all of our service men and women who have fought and continue to fight for our freedom. :unitedstates: To those who gave their lives . . . You did not die in vain. This is the greatest country in the world! Thank you to those people who gave up their lives so that I could live mine freely. :usaribbon: Semper Fi :usa2:

rob
05-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey there Angie,

My father served in the Marine Corps during the Korean Conflict-once a Marine, always a Marine. Most everyone in my family has, or is serving in one of the branches of the military. My Nephew is in Army Special Forces-the Green Berets. He's at Ft. Bragg training to be a combat surgeon. He just made E-5 Sgt. The Army interns spec-op surgeons at civilian hospitals for real world experience on top of all the training they get from the Army. He's only 22, and has treated gunshot wounds and delivered a baby. Amazing stuff. His next big hurdle is completing the freefall jump course. He's Airborne qualified and has made a ton of low altitude static line jumps-basically you jump at low alititude and the chute opens automatically. To pass the freefall course they have to do what's called a HALO Jump. They jump from 30,000 feet with oxygen and freefall to 1000 feet before they open their chute. Awesome stuff. We're very, very proud of him.

Everyone have a safe weekend, and on Monday, please say a prayer for the families of the fallen.

Rob

Delphinia981
05-23-2009, 08:11 PM
God Bless the men and women of Our Armed Forces. Memorial Day should not just be one day a year...it should be constant. The sacrifice these people and their families make to protect throngs of people that they will never even meet...it just boggles the mind how selflessly they put themselves in harm's way so that we can be free and safe. As the granddaughter of a man who earned the Bronze Star in WWII, the daughter and daughter-in-law of two distinguished Vietnam veterans, I hold my head high for those who fight today, who fought yesterday, and the heroes of tomorrow.

God Bless America!

scubagramplit
05-24-2009, 04:31 AM
AMEN to that Carrie. for a lot of us it is memorial day every day of the year. My father was in Korea and vietnam, was in the air national guard(which is the reason I spent 6 years in the air guard also), and he was a debuty sheriff up until his passing in a vehicle accident. Blessings to all our servicemen and women, past, present, and future.

rob
05-24-2009, 04:42 AM
AMEN to that Carrie. for a lot of us it is memorial day every day of the year. My father was in Korea and vietnam, was in the air national guard(which is the reason I spent 6 years in the air guard also), and he was a debuty sheriff up until his passing in a vehicle accident. Blessings to all our servicemen and women, past, present, and future.

Our stories are really similar. After my father came home from Korea and got out of the Marine Corps he went on to a lifelong career in law enforcement. His service in the Marines was a large part of my motivation to join the service. He jokes about my rebellious nature in joining the Army instead of the Marines. I'm very lucky to have my father in my life. I am very sorry your father is no longer with you.

Rob

scubagramplit
05-24-2009, 04:55 AM
thanks for the compassion. it has been 29 years ago, i had just started my apprenticeship working on powerlines in san jose, ca. when i was informed, i was devastated, i don't think i have ever cried so hard in my life. however because of that man i have a great deal of respect for all service members and law enforcement.

DrinkofWtr
05-24-2009, 08:17 PM
I was watching "Band of Brothers" last night on the TV and was thinking about all the veterans from World War II like my Dad. I was thinking of the hell he must have gone through during the war. He was in Europe. Then, I started thinking about all the veterans and what they have gone through and the sacrifices they have made to this country. Then, I just started crying and couldn't stop for a time.

rob
05-25-2009, 05:09 AM
I was watching "Band of Brothers" last night on the TV and was thinking about all the veterans from World War II like my Dad. I was thinking of the hell he must have gone through during the war. He was in Europe. Then, I started thinking about all the veterans and what they have gone through and the sacrifices they have made to this country. Then, I just started crying and couldn't stop for a time.

That is an excellent series. It was made by many of the same people who worked on "Saving Private Ryan", which is probably the finest movie of it's kind ever made.

I've read the book "Band of Brothers" by the late Stephen Ambrose, which the HBO Series is based on-it's a great book. Major Richard Winters, whom much of the story of Easy Company revolves around, said something in an interview I'll never forget-

"My Grandson asked me-Grandpa, were you a hero in the war? I just smiled and said no, but I served in the company of heroes"

mountaindreamer
05-25-2009, 07:05 AM
i also watched "band of brothers" yesterday....it was on all day, and i watched for hours.....heroes at such young ages.

Delphinia981
05-25-2009, 10:15 AM
http://rosemck1.tripod.com/animated-american-flag.gif

Let Freedom Ring!!

magistramarla
05-25-2009, 11:20 AM
i also watched "band of brothers" yesterday....it was on all day, and i watched for hours.....heroes at such young ages.

Young, indeed! My son was still 17 when he joined the Marines - he was 18 when he left for Iraq. He was the youngest guy in his unit, but since his father the computer geek had taught him well, he was the only guy in the unit who could keep the mobile computer network up and going. That skill kept him out of danger, though. They always kept him near the computers and yelled for him whenever the system wouldn't work. Since my husband was also on the military internet, they were able to communicate almost daily - a relief for worried Mom!
You guys will appreciate this story. One night our phone rang at 2 a.m. I rolled over and answered, and the first thing that I heard was machine gun fire. The first thing that went through my mind was that they were under fire and Tom was getting in a good-by call. Then he came on the line - "Did you hear that, Mom? I did that, Mom!" They were on the practice range, and decided to share with friends and family, forgetting the time difference. My response? "Here, son, tell the Colonel!", and I woke his father. A mother should NOT be subjected to that!
My son-in-law the Airman is only 19. They are way too young to be such heroes.
Marla

Pearl
05-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Marla -

A great story. Thank you to your entire family for your sacrifices for our country. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.