PDA

View Full Version : Does anti-dsDNA ever go negative?

lovemysalr
05-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Hello, I just got the latest round of labs back and I had a question for y'all.

I was formally diagnosed back in Sept and ever since then my Rhuemy has seen me every 6 weeks. He runs labs every time. My anti-dsDNA has always been 14 until this time. This time it is at 12. I have actually been feeling okay the last couple weeks and I was expecting it to be lower. I was under the impression that anti-dsDNA was kind of a barometer, that it increases when we are in a flare and decreases when we are felling better.

Does it ever go negative or does it always stay positive and just go up and down?

Thank you for your time,
Allison

Saysusie
05-22-2009, 10:10 AM
It is possible for it to read negative. This usually happens after successful treatment of the disease and when the disease goes into a form of remission. While it is possible, it does not happen for everyone.
On the other hand, there are times when it reads negative, but the patient is still suffering from active symptoms. Lupus is a mind boggling disease because it never follows any set pattern and acts differently in each person.
It is important that you not only look at the results of your anti-dsDNA...you must look at the results of all of your lab work in order to get a better understanding of how your Lupus is affected by your treatment regime.
I hope that your Lupus does go into remission, that is what we all wish for with our treatment regimens. Best of Luck to you.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie