PDA

View Full Version : swelling

Tootles
05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Hello! Does anyone have trouble with swelling of the feet and hands. I have really never had this problem before. I am not one to add salt to food but I know alot of food is high in sodium. Sometimes I can barely even get my feet into my sandals. I will wake up in the night and my hands will be numb and swollen. Thanks for your help! I hope everyone is having a good night.

Take Care, Deb

debbie-b
05-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I don't have it in my feet, but my hands swell and are numb to a point where they hurt. It has been going on for three days now and it is about to drive me crazy.

Debbie

mountaindreamer
05-19-2009, 06:35 PM
hi tootles,

yes, swelling in feet and hands is a common agravation that many of us deal with. Have you had your kidneys checked? Swelling in the legs can indicate a problem with the kidneys, so don't ignore it.

I swell whenever i am in a flare or even just experiencing pain....i have always thought that the swelling was where the little antibodies were attacking something.

Oluwa
05-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Possible causes....

Drugs can cause swelling, edema...Prednisone, NSAIDs....I do swell from these.

Sitting in one position too long....walking. I do when I do either.

Congestive heart failure. Kidney involvement...I have neither.

Dehydrated. I do swell when I haven't consumed enough fluids.

Arthritis. I have Lupus arthritis, causes swelling.

Processed food. I avoid, well about 97% of the time.

Lupus....I have causes inflammation, swelling...edema.

Table salt....I use Kosher Salt..half the sodium.

Hope this helps...

I would make an appointment to confirm there is no kidney or heart involvement.

I use Lasix, diuretic when I am swollen for two days....
Love,
Oluwa

froggal
05-20-2009, 01:08 AM
My hands and feet swell all the time. I just assumed it was the heat!!:unsure:

Tootles
05-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Thank you very much for all the information! I am so glad that I found this site. I will give me doctor a call in the morning. Hope you are all having a great night.

Deb

Angel Oliver
05-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh you know what.....i just saw this thread and giggled. Not because you have swellings.....but because of this.....

Ive not really ever suffered with swellings.So last wednesday i went to see my rheumi.I told him i am having major problems with cramping in my legs and feet and numbness.He said he would give me a pill that would help them stop.So,trusting him...i took it.Remember id had surgery the week before and was just getting back to normal.....Oh my....after i took the pill i started to swell.......and swell....and swell :)

My neck now is all in one with my face like monster woman
Legs are double the size
Knees....mmmm what knees...oh that fat swollen thing there lol
Elbows are so big and swollen
Even my chest and rib cage is swollen.

Oh sorry to nick the thread....but just had to tell ya. Normally no swellings that i can see....now....i am the ''SWELLING WOMAN'' :)

I had an acute allergic reaction to the drug.Even stopped eating chocolate lol....until tonight.Pain meds kicked in and dont feel as sick now....so had a dose of white chocolate.MMMmmmm.

xxxxxxx

Tootles
05-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I am so sorry about your swelling Angel. What was the med that they gave you?

Angel Oliver
05-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks so much but i'll be fine.It was Amlodopine...i only had 2 pills.....2 too many i know now lol.xxx

froggal
05-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Hey Deb, I hope your swelling is getting better. It can be such a pain! How are you? I havent seen or heard from you for awhile! I hope you are feeling better! Angel, I hope things are going better for you too!

Angel Oliver
05-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Oh Deb and froggal thank you.xxxxxxxxx

lucky7
05-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi Deb!! Just wanted to let you now that i too get the swelling. My hands are the WORST. Sometimes my ankles and my calves will swell as well. Sorry you have to add another symptom to your list:wacko: Hope you feel better soon:cute:

froggal
05-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Swollen feet, ankles, and calves = CANKLES!!!!:wideeyed: Man I hate it when that happens!

sits_inthe_corner
05-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I mentioned on another post that my legs and ankles are swelling again. Always happens when the weather turns nice :(

So I dug out my compression socks. I'll have to get back in to the habit of putting them on before I swing my legs out of bed.

Nothing really seems easy the swelling once it starts. But if I get the compression socks on quick enough, it's usually not as bad.

lucky7
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
WOO HOO to COMPRESSION SOCKS!!!!

Linda From Australia
07-19-2010, 03:44 AM
Deb how is the swelling going? Is it all resolved?

Saysusie
07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Oluwa;
As always, that was excellent information. Thank you for responding and for providing such helpful information!!
I hope that you are doing well. It is always so good to hear from you here :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Saysusie
07-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Angel; OMGosh....I am so sorry to hear about your swelling. This was a reaction to your meds? How are you now?

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Saysusie
07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Deb;
As has been mentioned, edema (swelling) is something that we deal with often with this disease. However, I agree that it might be beneficial for you to have your kidneys checked, just in case.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie