PDA

View Full Version : Brain Fog / Fatigue / Flares

Chickpea
05-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Hello everyone,
I have questions regarding brain fog, fatigue, and flares.
Firstly, I'm not sure if I'm in a flare or not. Several years ago it started with a left ankle injury, then I started getting muscle problems (firstly in calf muscles, then spread to lower back about 1 yr ago - of course my ankle problem remained, but only seemed to hurt when I walked on it first thing in the morning). Around 4 months ago I started noticing my hand joints were stiffer - but not sore. I always felt there was something wrong with me, I certainly noticed my memory wasn't as good as it used to be, and felt like I was going through a "dumb" period.

About 4 weeks ago I noticed my eyes were getting more sensitive to light - though I'm not getting rashes or anything from the sun (I have an outdoor job). Since I started taking Plaquenil (after being diagnosed -several weeks now, first 2 a day - morning and evening, and now only one a day due to brain feeling a bit too slow to work safely) I still experienced brain fog, and feel exhausted by about 2 - 3 pm. (If I have a day off work I have a nap). Of course, the brain fog and fatigue could be my condition worsening??, and the medication is exacerbating the condition.

My questions are;
1. How do you know if you're in a flare - when you are initially diagnosed do you need to wait until your condition stabilises before you know?
2. Do people seem to suffer from brain fog/fatigue only during flares, or all the time.

The brain fog bothers me especially, as I need to be able to make to make critical decisions at times.

Thanks very much
: )

mountaindreamer
05-18-2009, 09:20 PM
hi chickpea,

as you know, lupus affects everyone differently. My brain fog is at its worst with i am in a flare....when not, i still suffer a little with it, but nothing like when flaring.

your question asking "when you know you are in a flare" is very good....i am not 100% sure....sometimes i think i am in a constant flare, just sometimes is worse than others.

hope you had a good monday and that tuesday is even a better day.

gina
05-19-2009, 04:28 AM
My brain fog is worse when in a flare, i can tell because i loose things like money keys etc. when not flareing its still there but not as bad.

i feel like i am always haveing a sign or symptom but when its real bad i call it a flare.

everyone is different and i don't think i will ever wake up and not have some type of symptom just feel better that day than others.
hope this helps.:yes: