PDA

View Full Version : College Scholarships For Lupus?

ashleybaby715
05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
i'm going to have to start looking into things like colleges and scholarships n' such soon...and i was wondering, are there any scholarships that we could get for having lupus????

and if so, do you know any sites i could look at??

thanks soo much!!

Ashley<3

brandichi
05-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Ashley,

Take a look at this site: http://www.lifescholarship.org/

And there are some links to other sources here: http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_empty.aspx?articleid=180&zoneid=76

I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything. When are you graduating? Also, let you school counselor know you are looking for scholarships - that's how I got one of mine many years ago - I was an aide for the counselor's office and told all of them that I was looking for scholarships. One day an application came through in which the counselor had to recommend one student from the high school to apply, and he asked if I was interested. It turned out to be $1,000/year for up to 5 years provided I kept my grades up and met with the committee at the end of each year. Good luck - there are tons of scholarships out there, it's just a matter of finding them!

Edited to say I also found www.fastweb.com but you have to enter a lot of information before they give you info about scholarships. I don't know if it's legit or not, but might be worth checking out.

mountaindreamer
05-17-2009, 07:26 PM
wow brandichi....very nice job. You provided some great information.

ashley, congratulations on your graduation....what day is the commencement? Where do you want to go to college, and what do you want to study?

Hooray, final exams are over and you are free.

ashleybaby715
05-18-2009, 05:08 AM
i actually have one more year. haha but we need to start applying for colleges like at the end of the summer and such.
but most of my work is done in fact, haha and i took the SAT's already and everything,

i want to study social sciences to become a social worker for children with diseases, especially autoimmune diseases. i wanna work at childrens hospital.

i want to go to Penn State... but i have a few other colleges in mind. all in PA

wrightrs
05-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Have you called the LFA. Maybe they could helphttp://www.lupus.org

lucky7
05-18-2009, 01:51 PM
GOOD IDEA Ashley!!!! :yup: Way to think ahead!!!! That IS some good info Brandichi!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!:headbang:

brandichi
05-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Ashley, good for you!! It sounds like a perfect career for you, as you'll be able to relate to what they are going through so well. One of the most helpful people I met since I was diagnosed was a social worker who has lupus. She totally understands and I appreciated talking with her so much - that really makes a difference.

And thanks, Jeannette! :cute:

lucky7
05-19-2009, 01:59 PM
You are VERY WELCOME Cheryl!!!!! :cute:

Pearl
05-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Way to go girls. There is nothing more inspiring than two young women who won't let IT get in their way. I wish you both the best.

Jana