PDA

View Full Version : Hi, newly diagnosed/new member.

rmreagin
05-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi everyone, I'm 41yrs old and was diagnosed w/ lupus about 3 weeks ago.
After about 1 1/2yr of periodic bouts of fatigue and varying issues, I had a really bad week in February of this year, couldn't get out of bed, no energy and had stiff/burning joint pain. I then developed a lesion under my arm that was about 3 inches in diameter that really scared me because it seemed to pop up overnight. I've had other skin issues for years but never really thought about it, nothing like this.
I get hard, red, painful raised spots on my face, neck, chest, upper back and arms and I guess I was just used to them.

So I decided to go to my primary and the first thing she did was send me for tons of blood work but thought that the lesion under my arm was ringworm (I even knew that it wasn't ringworm but I'm not a dr. am I?) Blood tests indicated that I was positive for ANA's, I was severely anemic - 7.3 when I should have been 12-14, B12 deficient. So she referred me to an immunologist and a rheumatologist/internist. More tests, more blood work, urinalysis etc. So 3 weeks ago I was told that I definitely had lupus or a lupus like syndrome.

I seem to have new symptoms/issues every week. The skin issues, fatigue, stiffness/pain in my joints, one minute I'm hot and flushed and the next minute I'm freezing. I wake up sometimes at night sweating. My hands and feet have been ice cold for the past few days. My vision blurs, my feet, ankles, legs and hands and fingers swell.

Before I found out why my joints hurt so much, I went through this phase, I just kept buying new padding for my bed, I thought the mattress was just uncomfortable.

If anyone would like to share, comment, advise, it would be most welcome.

Thanks

dsunshine
05-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Hello Rmreagin!
You have come to the right place to share/vent/celebrate etc. This is a wonderful sight to share your stories. You will soon find that this will be like a second family/friends for you as I have. Sorry to hear you were diagnosed but now you have a name to place with what you were feeling and going through. I do hope and wish you health and remission. I was diagnosed in Nov. 2008. Although my joint pains have gone away I still have days where one hand/finger etc. may flare up as they are called...flare ups! I send you a million hugs and open arms to say WELCOME and make yourself at home as no one will judge you here and EVERYONE understands how you feel and what you are going through as we have gone through them as well.

mountaindreamer
05-17-2009, 06:54 PM
hi rmreagin,

welcome to our little family of the sky....i know you are frightened, but as dsunshine said, at least now you know what is going on inside of your body. This is a place where you will always find support and compassion with whatever you want to write about. You will make friends, and you will learn from so many incredibly knowledgeable people.

Has your dr. started you on any medications? If you are taking Plaquenil (the standard med for lupus), it can take up to 5 or 6 months for it to work. Some people get really good results from Plaquenil, and some members use it in conjunction with other meds to try to control the progression of lupus.

I hope you have read the posts about uv lighting exposure protection. We have had several threads which discuss the ways to reduce the damage of sun and fluorscent lighting.

again, welcome. Please make yourself at home, and jump in on any thread that you want. We address all of the sorrows of life with lupus, but we also have a few laughs along the way.

sick n tired
05-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey Rmreagin,

Nice to meet you...you came to the right place if you want to find out more about lupus and talk to people who will listen and understand...sorry you are in pain right now, though....I was diagnosed when I was 45...in 2007 after years of being told it was all in my head...

What meds has the doc started you on and have you gone to a Rheumotologist? I think it is funny that the doc thought you had ringworm...:laugh: Sometimes I have wondered if some of my docs got their lisence out of a cracker jack box...:wacko:
Anyway...Welcome to the family

Saysusie
05-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi Rmreagin;
Just wanted to pop in to add my welcome to those you've already received. You mentioned that you were diagnosed with Lupus or another Lupus like syndrome. What types of medications are you currently taking?
You will find that the members of this family are filled with support, information, and understanding. I'm glad that you found us and that you decided to join us!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Oluwa
05-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi Rmreagin...

Welcoming you with hugs...

Sounds like Lupus to me...you have some of my symptoms...flush, freezing, night sweats...swelling, pain.

Have they tested you for Discoid Lupus...for that sore under your arm.

Blurry vision..have they tested you for Sjogren's Syndrome?

For the swelling could be from a myriad of things...
NSAIDS, Lupus arthritis...kidney involvement...processed foods...dehydration.

Do you have pain and/or redness with the swelling...inflammation in the joints.

A few things to consider. Hope it helps.

Be well..try to enjoy the week.
Love,
Oluwa