PDA

View Full Version : moving to Arizona...Could it help my joint/muscle pain

ButterflyRN
05-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Everyone! Well I have a question for some of you. My husband and I have been thinking of moving to Arizona for the warmth/low humidity in hopes that it would help alleviate my joint and muscle pain. I was suppose to go to Arizona this week for a family members graduation but had to stay back due to the great swine flu and my lovely low immune system. Didn't want to take the chance. I did want to see if the weather could have helped me.

Has any moved out west for this reason or know of anyone who has done so or just lives out there and has relief. I am just curious!

tasha
05-17-2009, 01:09 PM
i have heard that dryer weather is better for joint pain/flare ups, though i don't have first-hand experience with this since i've always lived in a fairly dry climate.

i wouldn't worry too much about the swine flu. it's just like any other flu. just take care of yourself the way you normally do ;)

ButterflyRN
05-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks Tasha. But, I think you do need to be concerned as a patient with lupus about the swine flu. Our immune systems are not the same as a healthy person, especially if you are on immunosuppressants. We have a higher chance of complications then healthy Jane Doe who has the immune system to fight it off. My repsonse to the swine flu is not to be rude but as a nurse and a lupus patient for 19 years, I don't take chances. And don't count the swine flu out as being just like the seasonal flu dispite it being milder then expected. Flu season will peak again in the fall and infection control departments around the US are preparing now for what will come thru their hospital doors. I evaluated my situation and with over 400 cases in Arizona, I chose what was best for me. I'm not saying you need to live in a bubble but you do need to not put yourself in situations that "could" cause you harm. I hope I have not offended you by my response but needed to say this.

rob
05-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Butterfly,

I lived in Arizona for 15 years, and moved back to my childhood home in Maine about three years ago. I was pretty much used to the heat, and I never had problems until I started getting sick and got the Lupus diagnosis. I lived in a pretty nice little town called Cave Creek, which is just north of Phoenix.

For me personally, the heat and harsh weather there really was unbearable. And the UV radiation there is much more intense than in states further north, and Arizona averages 330 sunny days a year. You have to be super-vigilant about using sunscreen. Basically, the conditions there made my flares worse, not better. But my job did involve working outside alot in the summer months. If I could have stayed indoors during the hottest months, I would imagine that I would have done better as far as flare frequency and intensity.

Arizona is a funny place. Like any place, it has it's ups and downs. Traffic and crime are horrendous. Phoenix is as big, as rude, and as noisy/polluted as any east coast city. But, there's all sorts of things to do there. There's stunningly beautiful scenery everywhere you go, and the winter months are pure bliss-between 60-70 and sunny everyday. There are some terrific museums, and some of the finest restaurants in the world are in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

Anyway, those are my opinions from having lived there, hope this helps!

Rob

ButterflyRN
05-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks Rob. The sun is something I have thought about. And to be honest seeing more brown than green is a little bit of a downer for me. I do appreciate your insight. I guess if I could get joint and muscle pain reduced I would do what I needed to when it comes to the sun. But I'm still not sure I could live out there, at least not long term. I like seeing all the green back here in the East. I could just do without the cold weather! Thanks for your response.

debbie-b
05-18-2009, 04:46 AM
I have lived in Texas for over 20 years and the heat was killing me, I did not go outside from April- October, I couldn't breathe, but of course Texas ( Houston and Dallas) is very humit. Four years ago, I have moved to upstate NY and my breathing is better. The joint and muscle pains are the same for me in TX and NY. I hope this helps. Now I can go outside, even during the summer.

Debbie

ButterflyRN
05-18-2009, 08:06 PM
thanks Debbie-b

DrinkofWtr
05-24-2009, 08:39 PM
I lived in Arizona for awhile. It helped by joint pain some, but Phoenix can be humid with people watering their lawns and outdoor plants and flowers, as well as the river flowing through the area. I developed allergies there though.

I hope you like hot weather because the spring and summer are extremely hot and everyone stays indoors during the extreme heat of the day.

Where in Arizona are you thinking of locating to?