PDA

View Full Version : Good idea/bad idea

shepherdgirl
05-13-2009, 04:38 PM
OK, so I need help making a decision. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I don't like it.
I am signed up to become a ROPES facilitator next year for my district. In order to do that, I need to take training this summer (if you don't know what it entails, you can do a google search for "ropes course"-there are even videos).
I will be outside for 8 hours a day for training. It will be from 8-4 everyday. Some of it will be in a wooded area, others will not be. I should have access to water at most times. This goes on for 3 weeks, I have 3 days of training each week. Then, of course, there will be the field trips with the classes during the year. That will be during a cooler time of year, though.
The trainer is requiring my rheum. to write a note allowing me to participate since my diagnosis. That prompted me to ask myself, "Self, is this a good idea?".
So, what do you all think? I can wear sunblock, a hat, all that stuff. I really, really want to do it. But, not if it's going to put me at risk of anything crazy bad happening to me.
I'm working out with P90x right now and modifying when necessary (like on plyometrics-can't do that many jumps-it hurts my knees and hips).
Am I crazy? I've only known about my Lupus for a week, I don't want to give up everything I love and want to do because of it. Giving up ROPES would be giving up something I've been looking forward to for a while. But, if it's in the interest of my health, I'll do it.
Thanks in advance for your expertise and guidance.

Angel Oliver
05-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Me personally say...if you feel you can do it....do it! You can wear sunblock...cover up...do you think you will have enough energy to do this you think? If yes....do it.
Now im no expert in Lupus...so wait to see others posts.But if you feel up for it.....why not...something you are so looking forward too....sounds fab to me! Now the rheumi letter.....not sure what he may write....could say yes its ok...or if you are struggling....may so no. Difficult one.But if you feel you can do this...and your doc thinks so...he will say yes. This is my oppion only... wait for other members to post.Goodluck.xxxxxxxxxx

Oluwa
05-14-2009, 05:49 AM
Go enjoy when you can....don't let Lupus hold you back just because you have the disease.

Take rests, sleep....ensure you don't burn the candle at both ends...listen to your body throughout the day. Replenish so you can enjoy tomorrow...

Keep reapplying your sunblock...wear clothes in layers. There is Ritz a product you can treat your clothes with in the wash to become sunblockers...clothes off that rack that are sunblockers...Coolibar clothes.

Ensure you take your medicines on schedule....eat healthy..

And most of all...enjoy it!

Having lupus doesn't mean we can't live...we just have to be precautious, look after ourselves today so we can have better tomorrows...

Hugging you.
Love,
Oluwa

gina
05-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Enjoy what you can. your body will tell you if you can't do it anymore, but you have to try.

we can't allow lupus to rule our lives, just eat good, rest, stay hydrated and take your meds.

if it gets too hard than quit but you won't know unless you try.

good luck

MicRoMediC
05-14-2009, 03:05 PM
i think it's a great idea. like everyone said, you know what your body is capable of. stay active as long as you can.

what area are you from? i went to ROPES many times when i was in school...i'm in sugar land, TX now but i went to school in the cy-fair isd.

shepherdgirl
05-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for your replies! Now my fingers are crossed that I can get my doc to sign off for me to go!
Micromedic-I teach in Cy-fair! Small world, huh? We have two ropes courses here (or so I've been told). I've never been, but my sister has. I'm a music teacher and our PE teachers needed an extra person for next year. It's too much to have both of them gone at once. So, I'm the other faculty member from our school to go. It's nice because I get a day off from the norm and because it is always so much fun.
Thanks again for your replies. I'm hoping to convince the facilitator that I can do this.

Rastagirl
05-14-2009, 05:34 PM
That's the attitude...keep it positive and moving forward. :veryhappy:

Good luck...hope it goes well and you have a ton of fun!

Hugs,

:cool2: Lori

MicRoMediC
05-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for your replies! Now my fingers are crossed that I can get my doc to sign off for me to go!
Micromedic-I teach in Cy-fair! Small world, huh? We have two ropes courses here (or so I've been told). I've never been, but my sister has. I'm a music teacher and our PE teachers needed an extra person for next year. It's too much to have both of them gone at once. So, I'm the other faculty member from our school to go. It's nice because I get a day off from the norm and because it is always so much fun.
Thanks again for your replies. I'm hoping to convince the facilitator that I can do this.

wow it is a small world. i went to jowell, thornton, then cy-springs. c/o '04. anyway, i loved ropes, it really taught teamwork, even to those that you wouldn't think could learn. anyway, don't stretch yourself too far, stress can be a trigger to flares. have a great day!

p.s. maybe we should have coffee or something one day, it'd be great to be around someone else who knows what i'm going through.

shepherdgirl
05-18-2009, 09:24 PM
So my rheum. said absolutely not to the ROPES thing. He even told me that it will be questionable about me going to the zoo with my daughter this summer. That was coming through the nurse, though, so I'll talk with him at my appt Wednesday to find out for sure.
I'm irritated, angry and upset. I really don't want Lupus to keep me from doing things I want to do. Yet, it seems like this will be the first of many. I have no choice. I'll never get the dr's note-he won't sign/write it. The facilitator for ropes found out that I had Lupus originally from my principal. This was kind of inevitable. *sigh*
Thanks for your help, though.

rob
05-19-2009, 02:05 AM
Hi Shepherdgirl,

I've been reading about your attempts to be a ROPES Facilitator. It's very much like the confidence/teamwork courses we had in the Army, minus the explosions, machinegun fire, and screaming Drill Sgt. of course!

You know, I think if you believe you can do this, then you should pursue the issue further. I would have a heart to heart talk with your rheumo, and explain to him/her that you realize Lupus is going to make you have to learn your new limitations, but you cannot learn this by not trying. Yes, physically demanding activity like this could be bad for your health, and it could bring on a nasty flare. But it might also be well within your capabilities despite Lupus. Every case of this disease is as individual as the person who has it.

Tell your rheumo that if he'll sign off and let you do this, that you will promise him you will drop out of the course at the first sign of a possible flare. The rheumo should allow you to try, you're capable of making your own decisions as to what you can, and cannot handle, and the rheumo should support you on this.

I wonder what your rheumo would say to me-I have very active Systemic Lupus, and on top of that, I have Multiple Sclerosis. The rheumo would probably have a cow if he/she knew that I go out sailing and/or kayaking on my good days. I learned by trying that those are two activities that are within the limitations imposed upon me by lupus and MS. I have to be very careful, and stick to what I call "sun discipline", that means sticking to any and all shade at all times, and slopping on the spf 100 sun block. I can't do these activities every day, but on my good days it's no problem as long as I'm very careful.

Anyway, I hope you can find a way to be able to do this-it looks like a whole lot of fun.

Rob

froggal
05-20-2009, 12:15 AM
I think that you should do it. I got some really good advice from a nurse in the hospital on sunday. She said "Angie, you dont have to do anything you dont want to do as far as the doctor is concerned. You live in America. If you think your body can handle going home, then go home!" I sat back and thought . . . you know she is right. I listen to my doctor normally, but because of that I have missed out on some pretty awesome things that I SO regret not doing. Dont live your life with regrets! It is too early in the game to let them start putting limits on you!! You know what your body can handle. It will let you know!!:cute:

mountaindreamer
05-20-2009, 06:19 AM
hi shepardgirl,

i agree with rob....i vote that you have a heart to heart with your rheumy and promise that you will drop out if it causes problems for your health. You might want to even sign a waiver that you will not pursue any legal claims against the dr. if something does go wrong. Malpractice suits dictate so many decisions in the medical profession.

Lupus is trying to take control of our bodies....it is so important that we try to control what we can, for as long as we can. If this is a dream, then do everything that you can to pursue it. If your body can not tolerate this strenuous endeavor, it will let you know. Even if it causes a flare, you will be able to say that you tried.

i also say go to the zoo with your daughter.

"Reach for the moon, and if you miss, grab a star"