PDA

View Full Version : Lupus rashes

Saysusie
05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
People with lupus can develop many different types of skin lesions. Here are some of the most common lesions found in Lupus:

1) Discoid Lupus - this is the most common form of lesions:
The coin-shaped ( i.e., "discoid") lesions of DLE are most commonly seen on the scalp and face, but can be seen on other parts of the body as well.
* Localized DLE: lesions limited to the head, ears, and neck
* Generalized DLE: lesions present both above and below the neck (generalized DLE carries a slightly increased risk of accompanying SLE).

Discoid Lupus lesions are often red, scaly, and thickened. As the lesions get older they can produce scarring and discoloration of skin (darkly colored and/or lightly colored areas). When these lesions occur in the scalp, hair loss (alopecia) can result. Discoid Lupus lesions are usually painless and typically do not itch. Skin cancer can occasionally develop in long-standing DLE lesions; therefore, any changes in a long-standing lesion should be brought to your doctor's attention.

2) Lupus profundus
Discoid Lupus lesions may also occur in conjunction with firm lumps in the fatty tissue underlying the skin (panniculitis). This form of panniculitis is called lupus profundus.

3) Mucosal DLE is the name given to the lesions that occasionally occur in the mucus membranes of the mouth, nose, and eyes.

4) Palmar-plantar DLE is the name given to the lesions that occasionally occur on the hands and feet.

5) Subacute Cutaneous LE (SCLE) -There are two clinical forms of SCLE lesions:
a) The papulosquamous variety of SCLE is characterized by red (erythematous) plaques-elevated areas of scaly skin with distinct margins.
This form of SCLE can resemble psoriasis. These lesions appear most commonly on the sun-exposed areas of the arms, shoulders, neck and trunk, with the face being affected less frequently.
b) The other form of SCLE consists of red annular (ring-shaped) lesions occurring on the same parts of the body.

Both forms of SCLE are characteristically very photosensitive. This means they get worse when exposed to sunlight or artificial sources of ultraviolet light.
Unlike Discoid Lupus, SCLE lesions do not scar. However, they can produce areas of light or dark skin discoloration. As with other forms of cutaneous LE, SCLE lesions usually do not itch.

Here is a web site with some pictures of different Lupus Lesions. If any of these look like yours, then perhaps you are dealing with a form of Lupus lesion. It might be a good idea to speak with your doctor about this so that a treatment can be recommended.

I wish you the best!
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

SandyR
06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Saysusie, what is the name of the website that you were referring to?

kitkatcandybar
07-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Great information. I have Lupus SLE. I get rashes on my joints, on my scalp and along my hairline. Very sensitive to sun exposure. It is not fun.

Saysusie
07-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Can't believe that I forgot to put the links in my post. Here they are:

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/ui/tray/dle-004.html

http://www.omnimedicalsearch.com/im_lupus+rash+pictures.html

luvpinkpeeps
09-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Great information. I have Lupus SLE. I get rashes on my joints, on my scalp and along my hairline. Very sensitive to sun exposure. It is not fun.

I also get rashes along my hairline, usually around menstration time though.

I am not DX yet, my ANA keeps coming up neg so they won't test further.

anyways, I am wondering if anyone has both Rosacea and maler rashes at the same time?

One doc told me my rash can't be a lupus rash because it goes into the folds where the nose meets the cheeks.

oscarinfw
11-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Unfortunately, I have not been able to distinguish very well between lupus rashes and psoriasis rashes no matter how many internet pics I look at. I allegedly have both with doctors in disagreement over what the rashes really are.

A couple of my rashes were confirmed to be psoriasis. Another was thought to be lupus but not confirmed by biopsy. Nevertheless, two (2) dermatologists thought it was lupus based on distribution across the face. Leads me to question the fallibility of skin biopsies.

Saysusie
11-23-2009, 10:51 AM
You should question the fallibility of everything! If the doctors are contradicted, insist that they look more closely so that they can prescribe the correct treatment for your rash. You are doing the right thing by learning as much as you can about your body and your symptoms. Keep up the good work and continue to be proactive with your doctors!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tsk0866
12-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Yes, one needs to question the fallabilities of everything. Does this mean one needs to keep going to see their doctor who can't figure out whether it's lupus or psoriasis?

This is the very thing I don't agree. More visits equals more expenses? More visits equals more confusion? :grumpy: You get one drug today and maybe a different type tomorrow? Maybe two more!

I have been trying to point out since the beginning of this year that there is a med that's already in the market for over 8 years, yet no one seem to know or care for it.

But then I realize that no one would dare use it because their doctors (who have no knowledge of it) would rather dictate what is good for their patients. Aha...steroids. The other other problem is everyone seem to be "broke". :shocked:

Broke because they have no jobs, or because the govt's health plan suck!!

rob
12-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes, one needs to question the fallabilities of everything. Does this mean one needs to keep going to see their doctor who can't figure out whether it's lupus or psoriasis?

This is the very thing I don't agree. More visits equals more expenses? More visits equals more confusion? :grumpy: You get one drug today and maybe a different type tomorrow? Maybe two more!

I have been trying to point out since the beginning of this year that there is a med that's already in the market for over 8 years, yet no one seem to know or care for it.

But then I realize that no one would dare use it because their doctors (who have no knowledge of it) would rather dictate what is good for their patients. Aha...steroids. The other other problem is everyone seem to be "broke". :shocked:

Broke because they have no jobs, or because the govt's health plan suck!!

Hello tsk0866,

Autoimmune disorders are complex things, and there are rarely, if ever, simple solutions for disorders like Lupus. Hence, the multiple drug approach. I have SLE, and MS, and I take three different drugs on a regular basis that keep me not only alive, but make me a fairly happy, viable, productive person. Without those meds, I could very well be dead today.

As far as Doctor's go, well, I agree, they can be very counterproductive for their patients. That's why becoming educated, and becoming ones own advocate is so important. If you have a terrible Dr./Rheumo, fire them, and find another until you come across someone who works with you, rather than the type you mention who dictates to you. It can be maddeningly difficult to find a good one, but there are some outstanding healthcare pro's out there, you just have to really look hard sometimes.

If there is some sort of medication out there that I believed could help me, I would certainly research it, and upon finding clinical trials that show promise, and/or peer reviewed articles in reputable scientific or medical journals indicating possible benefits for someone with my various conditions, I would tell my Dr. that I would like to try it. We would talk it over, and upon explaining the possible pro's or con's, we would decide together if it was worth trying.

I regards to Govt. health plans, I can only speak for those of us in the USA. The system is in dire need of reform, there's no arguing that. I hope our elected leaders can come up with a workable reform that can positively benefit the maximum number of people. Since that's a work in progress, we'll have to wait and see.

Rob

wrightrs
01-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Over Christmas I developed a rash on my chest and stomach. It burned like fire. So I called my rheumy. I started calling at 8:30, because that is when they open. There was no answer for 2 hrs. When I finally got though I had to leave a message. When they finely called back they told me to call my PCP. I didn't like it at all. So I call my PCP. They told me to call my rheumy. I told them I already did. They told me if it's a lupus rash I need to see the rheumy. So I called back and told them what they said. So then they told me to come in. I think if I have a lupus problem, the rheumy should see me to document my symptoms. He said he thinks my rash is lupus related. And the rash on my stomach was infected from rubbing it to much. He said if it comes back he want me to the dermatologist for a biopsy. He wrote me a prescription for cream to rub on and a antibiotic

Summertime
07-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Does any have extreme Itchiness all over there body after showering, or just all the time. I have been having an extremely painful itch all over my body, especially after showering, sometimes even when i don't shower, it's not surface and there is no rash, unless I scratch, and then a hives form over the parts that I itched. I went to my GP and she told me I have CREST (which stands for Calcium, Raynauds, Esophageal, Sclerodactyl, Telangiectasia). But the thing is I only show signs of Raynauds and Acid reflux/stomach ulcers out of that. So I don't think thats what I have. I also went to the Dermatologist yesterday, and he said I have Dermographics. The dermatologist diagnosis makes more sense to me, but there is no cure for it except high doses of antihistamines, like hydroxyzine. I am already on a plethra of medication for all my Lupus issues, and would hate to add another to that list. Has anyone else experienced this issue???

teresaa40
07-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Im always itchy. No specific diagnosis for it, as Im still in the "working on a diagnosis" stage. I have certain areas that are always itchy, no matter what I do or do not do. Gets pretty maddening and doesnt look at all graceful to be scratching your neck or your abdomen all the time.

whatswrong?
08-19-2010, 12:58 PM
hello i am new and not diagnosed.

have also problems with contact allergy and rubbing sensitives (itching,redness) and dry skin.

i also have sun hives for three years now,they look like normal hives and go by after hours or a day but they burn,sting and itch like sunburn and they occur mostly on spring and early summer.
then the hives improve when i get tanned but when it is summer i sometimes get real burn wounds from sun, luckily they are not too many and not always.

i have the most on dorsa of feet and they made scars when healing.
i hope the scars will heal too.

also have irregular skin colour and bleeding under fingernails in summer and with doing things since i am a child,but other skin probs only for years now....

here is a pic

whatswrong?
08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
sorry the upload of pics doesn`t work...

GoodDog
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I itch so bad I want to scream!! I have rashes on my arms, and stomach right now and that's ON prednisone. When I don't take it I have hives over 70% of my body and it makes me nuts! They get so big that I can't move my fingers. When I was in the hospital I got them from the blood pressure cuff. No one believed that I was allergic to just the pressure of the cuff so I let them see for themselves. I get so tired of not being believed and having to go through so much agony just so they can "see".

I've developed an allergy, I guess it is, to all antihistamines and have a severe paradoxical response. So now the only thing that helps control the hives is to constantly be on prednisone. Luckily I have a friend that's a pharmacist and he's the one that told me about paradoxical responses to medications otherwise I would have never known what was happening to me. I thought I was losing my mind! Doctors sure don't seem to know and their solution seems to be antidepressants which I don't do well with.

I also have regular type rashes that I assume are related to lupus but is chronic urticaria part of lupus?

GoodDog
01-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Is this a lupus rash?
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5988/lupusrash.jpg

Bench
02-02-2011, 01:45 AM
YES YES YESS!!!! ugh its so uncomfortable and I also have Raynauds.. I'm in the process of getting a diagnosis- my doc is positive it's Lupus however I'm trying to get in to see a Rheumy. I do know that my two aunts who have Lupus say that the itching is probably the only symptom that the doctors haven't been able to tame.. so I am pretty sure that's quite common. Thanks for posting this!

mdawncooper
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM
I am curious about this rash. I had a rash around my nose area that would not get better and it got very sore. My PCP prescribed two different creams that did nothing. After two months he sent me to a dermatologist that said I was allergic to cortozone on my face and gave me a new cream with an antibiotic. It took a while but go better but the skin where this rash was is still kind of red. Does this sound anything like the Lupus rashes you are mentioning.

pisces_music_girl
04-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I have a question as well. When I was much younger, I had eczema all. over. I haven't had a huge outbreak in recent years, but occasionally an eczema patch will show up. How similar is eczema to the Lupus rashes?

Toradoradi
04-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Not sure if it's related to lupus or not but I use to get huge plate sized hives on my stomach, chest, back and legs all the time. I haven't had an outbreak of those in awhile but looking back I wonder if it was just te beginning of this craziness.
Now, however, the past two weeks or so I have had itching legs allllll the time. No rash. No hives. Just a dry itch and if I start scratching I cant stop! It's the worse thing! Sometimes I have to take an allergy pill just to get to sleep. I don't know if it's lupus or just a seasonal allergy or the plaquinel. Whatever is causing it though needs to go away!

Shine
01-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Since being in Oz and generally getting more sunlight I have started to tan a fair bit. I have noticed patches of my skin that just don't tan. They just stay pinky white. There aren't many of them, just a few little patches, the biggest being about the size of a 50c piece, with rough edges. They aren't raised or textured in any way but they look weird! Even other people have pointed them out!! Just wondered if this is a lupus thing?

steve.b
01-06-2012, 08:01 AM
....... I have noticed patches of my skin that just don't tan........
there is an auto immune disorder, where this is the main symptom.
it is not uncommon on a lot of people.

please read the post listing the 63 disorders,
there is more information in there.

Shine
01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
I just had a look and Vitiligo is the nearest one but mine seem sno where near as severe as that! Reckon I'll just kep an eye on it, as long as it doesn't get worse I'm not too bothered by it. Thanks Steve :)

thepaynes
01-28-2012, 05:43 PM
hi im berniece, i m new here. about 2 years ago i had about 100 open body ulcers covering all sides of my body. from my armpits, palm of my hands butt cheeks etc. it was horrible. it was at first diagnosed as pyoderma gangrinosum, but was found to be the sle doing a different thing all along. finally after 3 biopsies a couple of months to a yr later they healed by using calmoseptine, tegederm and high doeses of prednisone. but i had a hospital bed trapeze home nursing too. i was in bad shape and on 60mg or so of pred. which caused heart problems subsequently. but the ulcers try to come back here and there but now i know to be vigilant over my body and to use calmoseptine and tegederm. i havent heard of anyone saying they had anything like this. now i have thick black scaley patches on my hand n feet. i saw from your link that it is lupus too. im wondering is there anyone else with the ulcer issues?

krystleg87
02-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Hello, all! I'm Krystle, and I just recently had this open, thing on my finger that I can't understand what it is. My mom was also diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder as she tested ANA positive. This rash on my finger doesn't itch, but to me it looks like the skin is so dry that it cracks and bleeds. My mom doesn't have these symptoms but she does get rash. Also when I was younger, if I was in the heat for too long I used to get heat rash on my inner thighs really badly.

jolynnhughes
06-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Anyone else have dermagraphia? I've had a terrible time with it since I was 20 years old (51 now). Wondering if the first outbreak of it was the beginning of my autoimmune problems. Can't wait to ask the rheumy.