PDA

View Full Version : Lupus and coughing

anicnan
05-12-2009, 07:51 AM
I rarely post but always read the symptoms and issues of Lupus. I have been diagnosed for 3 years and I'm 50. It has been a challenge and i've managed the through all the doctor's, test, flares etc. I have been coughing since Jan. and in the last few weeks have seen a Pulmonologist and diagnosed with Emphysema,Asthma and sleep apnea. I'm getting fitted for a sleep machine and taking Advair. Yet, I'm still coughing and just read that one of the side effects of advair is coughing which is just crazy. Has any one experienced anything like this? Help

Angel Oliver
05-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Im sorry you have had this diagnosis,but glad you are getting help.Im not sure about what you asked.Maybe let your doctor know.I find it a bit weird of them giving you something thats gonna make you cough.
Up until the last few months,ive suffered really badly with Asthma,but thankfully nearly have it under control.My main symptom was extreme coughing.Oh how it hurt and the panic's i had as when you cough you have no air to breath....so my heart goes out to you at such a young age.
If this is going to make you cough....would you not be better off without it? Id have to call the Doctor to double check this.Maybe you need another drug to help stop the coughing. I had trouble as soon as i lay down....coughing fit started...asthma hit straigt away. What other meds you on? Im on Ventilin, Seretide,Montelucast and uniphyllin.So far so good and only have one attack every other day now.....from 5 severe ones a day.Oh i have a nebuliser as well.
Just hang in there and see what other members say.Im not up on the med u said that makes you cough....but some members here do have the machine,mask to wear at night...so they will know for sure.
Thinking of you.
love
Angel.xxxxxxxx

Angel Oliver
05-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi ,

I just read up on Advair. How silly of me....im on it :) In the UK its name is Seritide.When i first had it was on a lower dose.So they changed it as the coughing was still bad.Now im on 250 2 puffs am and 2 at night.But i was then given the Montelukast as well,a pill.My breathing has improved and the cough has nearly gone....except when i have an attack.What dosage you on? Maybe you need it increasing and this magic pill im on.Please call the Doctor tomorrow...he needs to know its not doing the job right!! Let me know what he says.And tell him about the Montelukast and uniphyllin as well.Not sure if you can have them with enphacema but you need help to stop the coughing.

Good luck.xxxxx

debbie-b
05-13-2009, 05:04 AM
I rarely post but always read the symptoms and issues of Lupus. I have been diagnosed for 3 years and I'm 50. It has been a challenge and i've managed the through all the doctor's, test, flares etc. I have been coughing since Jan. and in the last few weeks have seen a Pulmonologist and diagnosed with Emphysema,Asthma and sleep apnea. I'm getting fitted for a sleep machine and taking Advair. Yet, I'm still coughing and just read that one of the side effects of advair is coughing which is just crazy. Has any one experienced anything like this? Help

I do have the same problem, but I am a smoker and of course, everything gets blamed on smoking. I have asthma and when I had a very bad bout of coughing( for weeks), my doc prescribed Symbicort inhaler, it really helped my breathing and the cough. But reading all the possible side effects, scare me very much. I have alot of shortness of breath with exertion,with fast walking, walking up a slight hill or sometimes just cleaning the house. And yes I know, I should stop smoking and I will.

Debbie

Angel Oliver
05-14-2009, 03:52 AM
Yes Debbie,

Im a smoker too ......and understand the fears of side effects as well. Hope your coughing eases soon and your doctor helps you too.

love
Angel.xxxxxxxxx

anicnan
05-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks all for the responses. I have stopped taking advair and now taking symbicort. I have also been diagnosed with sleep apnea and now wear a mask when I sleep. this has helped my cough immensly. I spoke with my rheumontologist who has asked my pulmonary doctor for my records to determine if Lupus comes into play. I have never had an allergy or asthma problem until this situation occured and getting diagnosed with asthma. I was a smoker as well and stopped with chantix back in Jan. It was the best thing I could have done. I have been smoke free since Jan. Yes, I miss smoking but i wish I would have quit a long time ago. Chantix worked for me.
Anicnan