PDA

View Full Version : Rain, Rain, Go AWAY...

adl011
05-10-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm so absolutely SICK and TIRED of rain. It's been two, going on three weeks, since we've seen the sun. Everything is flooded, and of course, my arthritis acts up a lot with fronts that come in, so it's been terrible. Also, my allergies are even worse, and since it's raining, everyone stays inside. I work in an office as a student worker for the band department at a university, and ALL the band people keep coming in the office and giving me their germs. No matter how many times I wash my hands or use hand sanitizer, I can't avoid these germs. Strep, a stomach virus, pneumonia, viral pharyngitis, conguntivitis, and laryngitis all in two weeks. I guess that's the joy of immunosuppressants, huh, the lupus begins to subside, but you can't fight off ANY infections of any sort. Only two weeks left on the job though, hopefully I can make it without getting too many more illnesses. My boss (well technically my boss's boss) is beginning to not believe me when I say I'm sick. It sucks. I really hope this rain ends soon, so people will stay out of my office.

Oh well, I hope everyone else is able to avoid sicknesses a little better than I am right now. I've been dealing with lupus for over 5 years now, but I still feel like a novice. I feel like I don't even know my own body. I don't know when my lupus is flaring until I'm so incredibly sick that I can't leave my house. Sometimes I feel like I don't even know how to take care of myself. It's a very disheartening feeling. I try really hard to keep my lupus under control, but I feel so new to it. I've only been to a rheumatologist twice, EVER. He is a good doctor, but he's absolutely amazed at how little I know this disease. I've tried to inform myself, but there's only so much you can do when you don't have access to appropriate drs. I hope I soon learn how to control my illness. I avoid the sun, I try to eat right, I try to get the vitamins I need, it's just all so much to remember, and sometimes I just feel like a kid again, as if I know nothing and I'm just standing there ask "WHY?" to every question that comes to me.

This thread wasn't really meant to go that way, but I guess that's how I was feeling. I really just wanted to complain about rain, but I guess I had other things on my mind I didn't realize.

I hope everyone is feeling very good today, no pain and no illnesses! Take care everyone!

~Amanda

rob
05-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Hi Amanda,

I've been living with Lupus now for just over five years too. You know, I'm a moderator here, and I talk about the disease so much to so many people you would think I'd be some sort of semi-expert by now, but I'm not. Some days, I just can't recall certain things. Other days I feel like the thinking part of my brain is shut down, and I can't even figure out the simplest of things. I feel like a novice much of the time too.

You mentioned that your boss is starting to not believe you when you say you are sick. If it gets bad, you could remind this person that you do indeed have a chronic illness that has no cure, and that the Americans with Disabilities Act affords people like you and I protection on the job from discrimination and harassment.

Anyway, I hope you have a better day today. Believe me when I say you are not alone.

Rob

P.S. It's been raining cats and dogs for five days straight now up here in Maine. Grrrrr!