PDA

View Full Version : Newly diagnosed, new to the board

shepherdgirl
05-10-2009, 07:02 PM
I was diagnosed last Wednesday and trying to find a place where others understand what is going on with me and may be able to help me understand more about it myself.
As of now, I am confused and in a bit of denial about everything. I have leg pain, numbness/tinging in my legs and feet, headaches, back pain and visual symptoms. It's nice to have a diagnosis that fits, but it's also scary.
I have so many questions, I don't know where to begin.
I can't wait to chat with you all!
~Kristi

Oluwa
05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Welcoming you with a warm hug, Kristi...squeeze. Start anywhere...go down your list, we will try to help you...doctor questions, tests...symptoms...how to keep spirit intact....ah, so many wonderful people, me too, to answer and give you unconditional support....

The unknown is scary, eh? I feel it too...but for me, I find the more I learn about my diseases the more I feel in control. Learn my triggers, manage my symptoms...prevent flares. Learning to live with it and you will to.

Again welcome, read about...make friends...you have made one in me.

Play games, create a blog page, join a social group...

Be well...enjoy this day.
Love,
Oluwa

rob
05-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Hi Kristi,

Welcome! I'm Rob, and I was diagnosed with systemic lupus five years ago. I can remember back when I first got my diagnosis. Like you, I was happy to finally have a reason for all the odd symptoms I'd been enduring. But at the same time, learning that I have an incurable chronic illness was scary as hell.

And, like you, I was confused, and in denial on and off. You'll have a ton of questions. Just take your time, go easy on yourself, and try to deal with this one question, or thought at a time. In time, you will be able to accept all this, and you will learn how to cope. It will take time though. Know that you are not alone, and that there are a bunch of people here who understand. Once again, welcome to our group, and please make yourself at home.

Rob

MicRoMediC
05-11-2009, 08:00 AM
welcome. read around. there are a lot of answers to questions you probably would never think to ask. there is a huge support system on here but it's also important to have personal supporters-i.e. boyfriend, husband, mother, sister, etc... it's harder some days than others and depressing a lot of the time. you are more than welcome to come here to b***h and complain. we are all here for you. you can also share good news here, we're not all depressing all the time...LOL.

froggal
05-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Welcome Kristi! You will find lots of comfort here. You will also find lots of answers! I hope that we give you a sense of peace and ease you out of the denial that you are in!!:yes: There are so many people here that are knowledgable, comforting, and compassionate. I think you will like it here.:yes: Always a friend ~ Angie

Saysusie
05-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi Kristi:laugh:

Welcome to our family! You've come to the right place to be amongst people who understand and who are more than willing to answer your questions, give you information, give you support and to make sure that you know that you are not alone.
It is not unusual to be in a bit of denial, no one wants to have a chronic disease. But, we are here to help you learn as much as you can about this disease, its treatments, its medications, and how if affects you. Armed with such knowledge, you will find it much easier to make changes that are necessary in order to manage your Lupus and to maintain some sort of a normal life. Of course, things will change for you, but we want to help you to move through those changes with less fear and loneliness. We are here for you!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

mountaindreamer
05-11-2009, 11:45 AM
hi kristi,

what a beautiful young lady you are...thank you for including a picture.

as you can tell, we all understand about the relief of finally finding out what is wrong with us, but we also suffer the pain of being scared about the results this disease will have on our lives.

I was exactly where you are when i first joined this little family. Since then, i have learned so much, that i now feel like i am enjoying life, but i have had to set new norms for my life with lupus.

Stay with us, browse around the forum, read some of the stories, and you too will learn how you will continue to live a new life , and we will always be here if you need us.

Angel Oliver
05-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi Kristi

welcome to the site.You ask away..we are here to help.Everyone here are amazing and lovely and always go out of their way to help anyone.
Sending you gentle hugs
love
Angel.xxxxxxxxxxx

Beckey Lapp
05-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Kristi:
Like you I am new to this site. I hope you find answers here. I am just starting to learn so I don't have any answers for you but I do have compassion! I can give you hugs and good wishes, and an offer of friendship. In the short time I have been here I have found much support and comfort, I'm sure you will too.
Lots of Hugs,
Beckey

shepherdgirl
05-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Thank you all for your warm welcomes!

Pearl
05-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Just wanted to add my welcome. This is a truly wonderful place to check in every day. Some days are up, some are down. There is always an understanding ear, a kind word, a laugh, a tear...all shared by those who know exactly what you are going through. I have found that even if I'm just playing a game on the Arcade, I am among friends, which is truly comforting when it is the wee hours of the morning and I can't sleep because my legs, back, hips ankles (whatever) are soooo uncomfortable...ok, they hurt. It is amazing how a little game among friends can cheer you up and take your mind off of the discomfort for a little while. Especially when you are trying to beat a high score - larz, Oluwa, iseedeadmonkies, the rest of you people out there...you know who you are:) Ha Ha!

I hope you enjoy this little family as much as I do.

Jana

wrightrs
05-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I want to wecome you !!!

mountaindreamer
05-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Pearl,

Jana, you posted a really nice welcome to Kristi, thank you ....and thank you for your little arcard bullies reference, it is nice to see i am not the only one being picked on....ha ha ha.

wysiwyg
05-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Hi Kristi

Welcome! I'm a newbie too.. know what you mean about the denial, etc. Reading the blogs on this site actually caused me further concern.. "It gets worse????" but as was so rightly pointed out... everyone is different. You may never get all the symptoms others endure but at least it is a forum for us all to have a chat about everything.

Wendy