PDA

View Full Version : Lupus and the skin ? growths..

justdave
05-10-2009, 05:35 PM
I have heard of the mylar rash, acutally I am fairly certain I had these. I used to think my eyeglasses caused them from the sun, I was always thinking sunburn.

But... I have a new crisiss.

Skin Leisons, I am getting them all over the back of my hands and arms and on my face and neck. They look like moles or even flat warts, is best way to describe them. The seemed to be confined to where sunlight touches my skin.

I dont have them on my chest or legs or even back. But face, neck, scalp, back of the hands, arms. I have a coin sized one on my right upper arm. The best way I can describe them is flat bumps. I have tried to scrape them off, they dont come off.

at first there was one, then two, now my hands are dotted with them and have two on my face. I am not amused. I fear it is some kind of skin cancer. I am on cellcepta and predisone.

The only thing that holds me off thinking its the cellcept, is that I have had a few dots on the back of my hands for years.

But now they are multipling...

anyone else with skin growths... how do you get rid of them?

it's just the areas that touch sunlight, but then again the areas that touch sunlight are naturally the ones visible to other people.

Don't care for this all at all.

Saysusie
05-11-2009, 10:55 AM
People with lupus can develop many different types of skin lesions. Here are some of the most common lesions found in Lupus:

1) Discoid Lupus - this is the most common form of lesions:
The coin-shaped ( i.e., "discoid") lesions of DLE are most commonly seen on the scalp and face, but can be seen on other parts of the body as well.
* Localized DLE: lesions limited to the head, ears, and neck
* Generalized DLE: lesions present both above and below the neck (generalized DLE carries a slightly increased risk of accompanying SLE).

Discoid Lupus lesions are often red, scaly, and thickened. As the lesions get older they can produce scarring and discoloration of skin (darkly colored and/or lightly colored areas). When these lesions occur in the scalp, hair loss (alopecia) can result. Discoid Lupus lesions are usually painless and typically do not itch. Skin cancer can occasionally develop in long-standing DLE lesions; therefore, any changes in a long-standing lesion should be brought to your doctor's attention.

2) Lupus profundus
Discoid Lupus lesions may also occur in conjunction with firm lumps in the fatty tissue underlying the skin (panniculitis). This form of panniculitis is called lupus profundus.

3) Mucosal DLE is the name given to the lesions that occasionally occur in the mucus membranes of the mouth, nose, and eyes.

4) Palmar-plantar DLE is the name given to the lesions that occasionally occur on the hands and feet.

5) Subacute Cutaneous LE (SCLE) -There are two clinical forms of SCLE lesions:
a) The papulosquamous variety of SCLE is characterized by red (erythematous) plaques-elevated areas of scaly skin with distinct margins.
This form of SCLE can resemble psoriasis. These lesions appear most commonly on the sun-exposed areas of the arms, shoulders, neck and trunk, with the face being affected less frequently.
b) The other form of SCLE consists of red annular (ring-shaped) lesions occurring on the same parts of the body.

Both forms of SCLE are characteristically very photosensitive. This means they get worse when exposed to sunlight or artificial sources of ultraviolet light.
Unlike Discoid Lupus, SCLE lesions do not scar. However, they can produce areas of light or dark skin discoloration. As with other forms of cutaneous LE, SCLE lesions usually do not itch.

Here is a web site with some pictures of different Lupus Lesions. If any of these look like yours, then perhaps you are dealing with a form of Lupus lesion. It might be a good idea to speak with your doctor about this so that a treatment can be recommended.

I wish you the best!
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

mountaindreamer
05-12-2009, 07:58 AM
saysusie,

what great information. If this description is not included in the sticky's section, i wish you would add it. so many people face these lesions, and this post would surely help with the skin questions.

Rastagirl
05-12-2009, 11:16 AM
saysusie,

what great information. If this description is not included in the sticky's section, i wish you would add it. so many people face these lesions, and this post would surely help with the skin questions.

Phyllis...you should send Saysusie a PM...I agree, this is great information and would love to see it as a 'Sticky' post. :yes:

Lori

pamjw
05-12-2009, 12:36 PM
saysusie i didn't see where you said the web site is for pics?
Am interested to see as I have them on my face and they are spreading.
Pam

DrinkofWtr
05-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Funny you should bring up the subject of skin growths. I just had five removed yesterday by my Dr. One from my back, three from under my breasts and one from under my eye. I am hoping the one removed from under my eye won't cause scarring. I put vitamin E oil on it. I wanted to put antibiotic ointment on it, but the Dr. recommended vitamin E oil or aloe vera oil to help prevent scarring. Also, I hope it doesn't leave a small hole there. Time will tell, I guess. I am not sure if lupus has any connection with skin growths, but I would not be surprised if it did.

AChronic
05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I actually have the same type of thing... they look like flat warts and I have had them for several years. They are mostly on my hand and wrist area but I have had them along my hairline and behind my ears. I also have psoriatic arthritis and plaque psoriasis in most of the areas where I have these 'spots' and a couple of them have turned into psoriasis. It is frustrating and I have no idea what they are.

I am also on cellcept and prednisone (along with other things). And actually one of my rheumie's hopes for the cellcept was that it would help my psoriasis, so I'm not sure I would relate mine to the cellcept. But again, don't know for sure.

I have an appointment this Friday so I'm going to mention these to my doc and see if he can provide any info on them. I'll let you know what I find out.

I have heard of the mylar rash, acutally I am fairly certain I had these. I used to think my eyeglasses caused them from the sun, I was always thinking sunburn.

But... I have a new crisiss.

Skin Leisons, I am getting them all over the back of my hands and arms and on my face and neck. They look like moles or even flat warts, is best way to describe them. The seemed to be confined to where sunlight touches my skin.

I dont have them on my chest or legs or even back. But face, neck, scalp, back of the hands, arms. I have a coin sized one on my right upper arm. The best way I can describe them is flat bumps. I have tried to scrape them off, they dont come off.

at first there was one, then two, now my hands are dotted with them and have two on my face. I am not amused. I fear it is some kind of skin cancer. I am on cellcepta and predisone.

The only thing that holds me off thinking its the cellcept, is that I have had a few dots on the back of my hands for years.

But now they are multipling...

anyone else with skin growths... how do you get rid of them?

it's just the areas that touch sunlight, but then again the areas that touch sunlight are naturally the ones visible to other people.

Don't care for this all at all.

lucky7
05-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Great info Saysusie!!!!! AlWAYS there to HELP!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!:cute:

Saysusie
05-13-2009, 11:10 AM
OMGosh; I forgot to include the website (serious brain fog) :wacko:

Here is the website: http://www.omnimedicalsearch.com/im_lupus+rash+pictures.html

Also.. I have made the post a sticky in this forum!

Thanx Everyone

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ButterflyRN
05-14-2009, 05:50 AM
I would recommend seeing a dermatologist. Your description of the skin lesions seem to be a benign growth called a seborrheic keratosis. These are harmless, but I would get a definate diagnosis. Skin Cancers do not persent themselves like you are describing. I am an RN at a dermatologist's office that specializes in skin cancers. I assisted with skin cancer removal sugeries too. Just think you should follow up with a derm before you get too stressed about them.

I look forward to hearing what you find out!

Moxie
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
After putting off a visit to a derm for a LONG time, I went a few weeks back.

Seemingly innocuous face 'spots' were identified as precancerous and frozen off. Also, a suspicious mole was biopsied and removed from my arm. It turned out to be basal cell carcinoma. Who knew?

It's best to get sudden and unusual things checked out. Perhaps the doc has a quick and easy fix for you. Peace of mind is a good thing. Best of luck to you.

zenmama
05-23-2009, 11:02 PM
I have spots exactly like those being described. I also have Lupus and Psoriatic Arthritis. They've been pretty stable since I noticed them months ago, but they multipled rapidly when I was in the sun today. If anyone finds out what these are, I am very interested in knowing! They do look like flat warts, and my doctor mentioned the possibility of seborrheic keratoses, but neither seems to fit exactly.

ritzbit
06-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I dont really know what to think about these weird bumps I woke up with on my hands this morning. I had a few yesterday while I was at the pool and we thought I got bit by something so I got some bug spray to keep anymore from biting me.

This morning I woke up and they have multiplyed and they're even on my other hand. My hands are extra swollen and itchy. I dont really know what it is. They dont really look like bug bites. But I dont think it sounds like any kind of lupus rash but I dont know.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

lucky7
06-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi HUN!!!! It sounds like what i get on my fingers. Not sure though. I will get small, itchy bumps inbetewwn my fingers and it drives me crazy! They come and go a lot. Its a small cluster of bumps on different parts of my fingers. Good luck hun. Let your dr know:yes:

Angel Oliver
06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Me too..mine are tiny spots that are sore...then water comes out after a few days then they dry up n dissapear..sore to touch n itch like hell...sometimes get em on feet..so tiny yet so sore if i itch with my nails. Dont worry i am clean n do wash lol....just another ailment thats unexplained .xxxxx

lucky7
06-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Oh now Amanda, we KNOW you are clean!!! LOL I smell your clean all the way over here in the USA!!!!!!!! MMMMMMM, you smell FRESH!:cute:

ritzbit
06-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Mine are tiny and itchy too. they look like they have gone away a little since I ran them under hot water after my shower. so Im not sure

Oluwa
06-28-2009, 10:19 PM
I get little pearls..like tapioca under my skin, along my fingers and they itch.

Sometimes I get an insane itch on the sole of my feet and the palms of my hands..and heavens, not a bump there. Lupus playing hid and seek with me?

I also get little pea size hives on my hands every now and then...

With Lupus, immune system out of whack..we sprout out with all kinds of itches, bumps....

L.
O.

ritzbit
06-29-2009, 04:15 PM
My doctor told me today she thinks that it'll go away and that Im allergic to something. But I have no idea what I could be allergic to

lucky7
07-01-2009, 12:19 PM
DONT LISTEN TO THAT AND please GET ANOTHER OPNION!!! I WAS TOLD THE SAME THING AND ITS COMPLETE BULL****. :skeptical: My old Rheumy said my bumps on my fingers were from my wedding ring! Well, tell me this then DOCTOR, WHY did i NEVER get them before now(ive had my ring on for 15 yrs!), WHY am i getting them all over BOTH hands, and I havent worn my ring for 2 yrs due to SWOLLEN KNUCKLES!!!!!! DUH!!!:wacko: He shrugged his shoulders and said "i dont know what to tell you". HMMMMMMMM, im pretty SURE i KNOW what I WANT TO TELL HIM!!! LOL:censored:

abbasgirl
07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Dont worry i am clean n do wash lol....just another ailment thats unexplained .xxxxx

LOL...Amanda, you comedian!

I get hives off and on... a rash that goes flat at times and then raised... and then I'll get some weird little bits of rash here and there in places that seems like poison oak because it blisters like that, but it's not...if that makes sense.

Autoimmune disease produces some strange skin issues.