PDA

View Full Version : New member...having a hard time

welovepujols
05-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi, I am a 26 y/o female and married mother of 3. I was first diagnosed about 18 months ago. I thought I knew what flare ups were, until this week. I usually get what I called a "flare up" about once a month or so...boy was I wrong. Three days ago I started with my usual increase in stiffness and fatigue followed by knee pain and mouth sores. As of 3am Friday, I have total body joint pain and swelling, it's so bad that I can't walk or move my fingers. My kness are filled with fluid, my feet are very swollen, hands are so still and swollen that they are now numb. I went to ther ER today, Rx more steroids and pain meds. Ah, I am so depressed. I can't do anything and just want to cry. Any advice?

debbie-b
05-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi, I am a 26 y/o female and married mother of 3. I was first diagnosed about 18 months ago. I thought I knew what flare ups were, until this week. I usually get what I called a "flare up" about once a month or so...boy was I wrong. Three days ago I started with my usual increase in stiffness and fatigue followed by knee pain and mouth sores. As of 3am Friday, I have total body joint pain and swelling, it's so bad that I can't walk or move my fingers. My kness are filled with fluid, my feet are very swollen, hands are so still and swollen that they are now numb. I went to ther ER today, Rx more steroids and pain meds. Ah, I am so depressed. I can't do anything and just want to cry. Any advice?

I am very sorry, that you are feeling so bad. That lupus monster will strike whenever, wherever and as hard as it wants to. We just learn how to deal with it, but it takes time. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago. And I too get " surprise" flares, which are worse and longer than I have ever had them before. The only thing I don't have is depression, maybe because I have had joint and muscle pain most of my life, or maybe because I always tell myself that it could be much worse. I don't get depressed, but I do get frustrated, when I have a bout of brain fog, where I can't have a conversation.
Do you have a good support system? That to me makes a big difference. I wish you better days ( they will come) and keep your chin up. Talk to your doc about your depression.

Debbie

Pearl
05-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Hello -

This too shall pass.

I remember this mother's day weekend how often my own mother said that to me whenever I was feeling down about anything. She was right.

I know how difficult this can be, but try to keep your head in a good place. Rest, read books or watch movies with your children - tell them you are having an all day slumber party! Try to relax and spend some time just being restful. As a young mother of three, you've earned it. The stress of depression will not help your flare. And do talk to your doctor about the depression. It is understandable. There are ways to lift you out of it. You might even check into a lupus support group in your area.

Wishing you wellness today. And Happy Mother's Day.

Jana

Saysusie
05-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Hello Welovepuljos:
Welcome to our family. As you can see, we all understand what you are feeling and we are quite familiar with the stress and depression. Many of us suffer from both of these.
Depression can be a symptoms of your Lupus and/or a reaction to your Lupus. Whatever the underlying cause of your depression, you are not alone and there is nothing wrong with you because you feel this way.
Often, treatment of the underlying condition (Lupus) will help to relieve some of the stress and depression. However, many of us have found that it has been very beneficial for us to get treatment specifically for our stress and depression. We have done that by participating in therapy, support groups, or just talking with someone who is trained in the area of providing emotional support and help.
I have always stressed that it is just as important that we get treatment for our emotional health as it is that we get treatment for our physical health. One cannot heal without the other!
You have come to the right place to be amongst people who are understanding, comforting, informative, caring and supportive. We are here for you whenever you need us.
With reference to your swollen feet and hands:
SLE is a major cause of swelling and pain involving the hands and feet. One of the major causes of this swelling is dysfunction of the kidneys. Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease which can can harm the skin, joints, kidneys and brain causing inflammation in these areas. Inflammation of the kidney is usually known as Lupus nephritis. Lupus nephritis affects approximately 50 percent of Lupus patients during the first year following a diagnosis of Lupus. Lupus nephritis may cause weight gain, high blood pressure, dark urine, or swelling around the eyes, legs, ankles, or fingers.
It might be beneficial for you to advise your doctor of your swelling (aka: edema) so that tests can be run in order to ascertain the exact cause and to start appropriate treatment. I do hope that it is not due to your kidneys, but if it is, catching it early and starting treatment will avoid further damage.
I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Angel Oliver
05-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Oh im so sad to read how much pain and distress you are in. Looking at the responses so far....you have had some great advice. We are all here for you.It does get better and will ease once the meds kick in. You keep coming here and chat to us.We will all try our best to help you through this very stressful time.Im sending you lots of hugs and hope you start to ease very soon.Just rest and know.....you are not alone.....we are here for you.

Love
Angel.xxxxxxxxxxx

wrightrs
05-10-2009, 12:18 AM
So sorry your in so much pain right now. Hope your meds help you soon. Your in my prayers.

TobyJug
05-10-2009, 03:32 AM
hey sorry to hear ur Lupus is so bad at the moment...
just wanted to say welcome to the site and give u the heads up....