PDA

View Full Version : Fibro/ CNS medication question

adl011
05-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Hey guys,

I'm currently taking 1500 (on my way to 3000) mg of neurontin/gabapentin a day for fibro pain and nerve issues. I am wondering if you know of any medications that would be less expensive. I don't have another appointment with the rheumatologist until the end of July. It cost me $94 for 100 pills and I need 150 per month, so I'm paying about $150 per month just for one medicine, and I'm taking three others, not to mention the over-the-counter stuff and random illnesses that pop up. I'm on a VERY limited income because I can only work 10 hours per week while in school (school policy) and it barely covers bills. If you know of any other medicines that would be less expensive, I'd greatly appreciate the info. I don't have prescription drug coverage, so everything is out of pocket.

Thanks,
Amanda

mountaindreamer
05-07-2009, 08:32 PM
hi adlo11,

i have been stuggling with fibro for 13 years, and i have never heard of this extremely expensive med that you are taking....hopefully someone will be along shortly who can provide some alternatives for you to consider.

adl011
05-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks Phyllis, what do you take for fibro?

freerider531
06-17-2009, 06:20 PM
I have been taking Lyrica 175 mg twice a day for about a year now. It has helped alot. Have you looked into this?

Danica01
06-20-2009, 02:24 AM
When I first got sick I was also put on neurontin. It made me very ill and I had to stop taking it. I am also on Lyrica and it works very well for me. I actually do not pay for it all. I filled out a form that showed I am financially unable to pay for medication and now Pfizer provides me with my Lyrica for free. I would ask your doctor about trying it out and here is the website you can use to request help with your medications:

http://www.pfizerhelpfulanswers.com/pages/misc/Default.aspx

Good luck and hopefully you can try Lyrica and hopefully it works well for you as it does for some of us. Keep us posted on how you are doing and if and when you switch meds.

Faith
06-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi Ladies,

I take generic Clonazpam .5 mg. It is actually used for seizures, but is used off-label for nerve damage pain. If you don't have insurance, check out yourrxcard.com. Sometimes they offer generics or you can contact whomever makes the brand name of Klonopin (spell?). Anyway, it seems to help.

I hope everyone is feeling well today.

Faith

BadFlareDay
06-23-2009, 02:30 PM
I was on neurontin for a few months and had some side effects, one being that it made me drool. My Doc took me off of it and prescribed Lyrica 150 mg 3 times a day. I've been on that for almost 8 mths without any issues. Lyrica is much cheaper.