PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss and growing back

Jenfrombill
05-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi,

I have read many different things about hair loss and it growing back; actually, I should say I have read and heard many different things. When hair falls out, does it grow back if you have? Maybe after a flare will it grow back or does it never grow back? Of course, I mean if it is from Lupus, not if you have bad hair, I am asking regarding hair loss directly related to Lupus. Any answers would be helpful!

Jenfrombill
05-06-2009, 12:31 PM
thank you!

Rastagirl
05-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm here to reassure you that it most definitely grows back. Many times over the years with Lupus, I have had hair loss to different degrees. The first few years after my diagnosis, at age 18, my hair was falling out all the time. It got so thin and unhealthy and I remember being so scared it wasn't going to come back. I spent plenty of time in front of the bathroom mirror crying my eyes out.

But along the way with Lupus, I've noticed a pattern. When my flares were the worst, my hair seemed to fall out a lot. I didn't notice it as much when I was just in mild flares. But since I've been in remission now for about 15 years, my hair has grown back and is very healthy and thick, actually even better than before I got Lupus. I've finally been able to grow it long--halfway down my back.

I just wanted to let you know that it does grow back. It's not a permanent thing. I know it's very frustrating and scary, but just know that most likely, when you're Lupus quiets down and you have a remission, your hair will begin to grow back.

Fondly,

Lori :cool2:

dsunshine
05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I had an episode about a month ago where I washed my hair and was combing through while conditioner was on and my hair came out like you wouldn't believe. I cried and cried even looking at the trashcan full of my hair which looked like a chia pet or a small puppy was in the trashcan. Since this episode my hair has stop shedding like this but it is still very thin and you can see my scalp if I don't comb/brush it a certain way. Everyone has told me it will grow back...hopefully it will because the scalp peaking through is not sexy or cool at all. I am just glad it stop shedding. I am using carrot oil and a few other hair growth products to help the process. Loosing your hair is just a hard pill to swollow and if rastagirl is right I was having a few flare ups here and there. All I can say is try not to stress about it...I know it is hard but try!

wrightrs
05-06-2009, 05:21 PM
When my husband start going bald his hair was everywhere. Now minds everywhere along with my cats. Sweep Sweep Sweep all the time.

tasha
05-06-2009, 11:37 PM
i know of quite a few people who have had success with this hair product: http://ovationhair.com

i never experienced hair loss due to lupus, but i started using this product anyway because i've always had pretty fine hair that i could never get to grow past my shoulders. this product made it a lot thicker and now it's quite a ways past my shoulders. it is even recommended for lupus patients and for cancer patients who have undergone chemotherapy. apparently it's even guaranteed to work within 3 weeks.