PDA

View Full Version : Plaquenil and alcohol?

MicRoMediC
05-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I've read a few things that it's not recommended that you drink while taking Plaquenil due to the increased chance of having renal failure. Other sites don't mention anything about it. I know this is an obvious question, but does anyone on Plaquenil drink? Has anybody heard anything else about this? Thanks.

iseedeadmonkeys
05-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Oh are ya not? oh well i do every weekend......and have done for a few years now too, my dr nos so does the eye bloke, never mind

ISDM
xxx

rob
05-02-2009, 04:23 AM
I take 200mg plaquenil twice a day, and I drink, but I drink in moderation. I'll have two or three beers, or a couple of mixed drinks maybe once a week. I've asked my Dr. about this and he's OK with it, as long as it's in moderation. The thing I find many of us need to look out for is not plaquenil, but naproxen. I take naproxen sodium nsaid for inflammation, and it can give me an awful stomach ache that would be even worse If I drank too much alcohol. Just be careful.

Rob

sugarfoot52
05-02-2009, 04:38 AM
My stomach condition makes drinking nearly impossible. But I am still a smoker, so which is worse, I don't know. I had quit smoking for a year when our plant got a superviser that specialized in bullying. Of course according to this boss I was just a slacker, hence I returned to smoking. Since, I have had a series of flares that left me too exhausted to do the activities that I prefer, hence the smoking has been harder to give up.

tasha
05-02-2009, 08:51 AM
i have nephritis so i was also very worried about this. i asked my nephrologist about the drinking thing, and he said it's fine to have a few drinks here and there, just don't overdo it.

he's an expert on renal problems, so i'm going to take his word for it ;)

MicRoMediC
05-02-2009, 06:02 PM
thanks guys. yeah i've been a little scared to, but i've only been on the plaquenil just over 3 weeks. i've pretty much designated myself the designated designated driver. i don't have a follow up with my rheumatologist for another to months so just needed some advice.

mountaindreamer
05-03-2009, 08:04 AM
my nephrologist is ok with occassional drinking as well. However, i have found that one or two drinks is the max i can now stand. I find myself quickly tight, and have to quit before gets worse....my tolerance is much lower, but i don't know why.

tasha
05-03-2009, 09:06 AM
phyllis, i've noticed this as well. my tolerance has gone way down recently. sometimes just 1 drink gives me a horrible headache and i just don't feel well.

magistramarla
05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I've had the same question. I'm a high school teacher, and a drink on Friday evening is essential to my mental health! I haven't had a problems with a weekend drink or so since I've been on Plaquenil. My question is this - what about Methotrexate?
I'm supposed to start it as soon as I get off of antibiotics on May 15. I would still like to enjoy my weekend drinks. I'm also about to move to very near the wine country in California. I would REALLY hate to not be able to drink wine with a meal or cook with it.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Marla

rob
05-03-2009, 05:35 PM
my nephrologist is ok with occassional drinking as well. However, i have found that one or two drinks is the max i can now stand. I find myself quickly tight, and have to quit before gets worse....my tolerance is much lower, but i don't know why.

I used to have quite a tolerance for alcohol, but, like you guys, I'm a cheap drunk now too. Probably a combination of my age, health, as well as a decrease in my overall consumption of alcohol. I could close down the bar in my younger days, then put in a full days work without much more than a mild headache and a little fatigue. Today, I feel far worse than hungover most mornings, and I've not had a single drink. There's something fundamentally wrong with waking up with something worse than a hangover from hell, and you didn't even get to at least have the fun the night before. If Lupus was a company, I'd write a strongly worded letter of protest and complaint, and I'd ask for my money back.

mountaindreamer
05-03-2009, 07:24 PM
hi rob,

you are so right....sometimes i wake up and think i must have a hangover, then i realize that i did not even have a drink the night before.....that is one of those sinking , make you want to kick the wall, feelings.

if lupus was a company, i certainly would not invest in it, because it would be on a downward spiral. doomed for failure

iseedeadmonkeys
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I must add tho i cant drink like i used to be able too

could be the meds and age playing a part in that too, but drinking with the mtx is not advisable lol, i never drink on a sunday or monday or tuesday but i have been out on an all nighter before on a sunday then taken mtx on the monday and ended up fitting all day and night................ok i hear your words :yes:

but the odd beer here or there like Robalob said, But sometimes i feels like my body cant take it anymore, so sometimes when ive popped open a can of say hmm fosters (of choice) :) i can only stomach about half the can b4 i get overwhelmed with sickness, so dont always bother when im feeling a can of beer.....i mean fosters :) it hink its hard to get over the "well i used to be able to drink alot" feeling out of your mind.

Anyway i ponder on
ISDM
xx

mountaindreamer
05-04-2009, 05:37 PM
oh ISDM<

"Robalob"....that is too funny. :notworthy:

I will drink a little on weekends, but always wait a few days after mtx.

magistramarla
05-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks guys,
That's just what I had been thinking (and hoping). I'l just have to make sure that when I indulge, it is well after the day that I take the MTX!
I've never been a big drinker - too many years of being pregnant, a nursing mom, or both. Therefore, I've always been a cheap drunk - two White Russians and I'm out on the couch. I just don't want to miss out on being able to imbibe with the hubby once in a while. It sounds like this will work.
Marla

froggal
05-05-2009, 12:41 AM
I havent had a drink in MONTHS, but my husbands class reunion in coming up in a month and guess who is going to drink? . . . :trink26:

rob
05-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Robalob? You come up with the funniest stuff ISDM. Actually, that's kinda catchy. I'll drink to that! (raises his coffee mug full of just plain coffee-hey, it's not even noon yet! no Kahlua in the java till after lunch)

TERIOD
05-05-2009, 02:17 PM
man oh man its 2.00 pm and im in the middle of a steriod mass comsuption rage a kaluha, coffee and cream sounds most awsome right now, but i better not,, but it sounds great

kirsten
06-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I used to have quite a tolerance for alcohol, but, like you guys, I'm a cheap drunk now too. Probably a combination of my age, health, as well as a decrease in my overall consumption of alcohol. I could close down the bar in my younger days, then put in a full days work without much more than a mild headache and a little fatigue. Today, I feel far worse than hungover most mornings, and I've not had a single drink. There's something fundamentally wrong with waking up with something worse than a hangover from hell, and you didn't even get to at least have the fun the night before. If Lupus was a company, I'd write a strongly worded letter of protest and complaint, and I'd ask for my money back.

It's so funny, because I'm working on a presentation for an organization I'm in explaining Lupus (I'm organizing a charity event, and most of my friends don't even know I have the disease,) and I was thinking of ways to better explain what it feels like to have the invisible disease. The first thing that came to mind= I wake up every morning feeling like I'm hungover whether I had the fun the night before to deserve it or not. That's something every college student can relate to! :)

dsunshine
06-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I am on plaquenil as well. I take so many meds as I am sure everyone on this site does that I have completly stopped drinking. Although my doctor did say 1-2 drinks a week is okay but when I drink I do it big...A huge picture of Cadillac margaritas with silver petron to be exact which is more than 1-2 a week...i am talking in one sitting especially during happy happy hour so I don't bother at all. Unless I can do it right then I will just wait. Just like everyone else my tolerance is way down as well and for me my focus is to be healthy, heal and go into remission and once that happens then I can and will certainly eat the foods I use to enjoy and par take in alcohol consumption as well.

MicRoMediC
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
yeah, i've found out i can't really drink anymore. i had two jello shots at dinner the other night and felt really nauseated. on night i had a martini with some friends and the whole next day i just felt sick. i've pretty much given up drinking. i can barely get down food some days, let alone alcohol.

magistramarla
06-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Thank goodness, I'm not having any of the mentioned problems. I'll take the MTX tomorrow night, so tonight is "drink night". Also, SCHOOLS OUT!!! and I'm officially unemployed. Now I have just over two months to get ready to move to California.
I have plenty of reason to drink, and I'm currently on my second rum & coke. I intend to sleep well tonight - no more grading, no more lesson plans - yeah!!!
Marla

dsunshine
06-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Thank goodness, I'm not having any of the mentioned problems. I'll take the MTX tomorrow night, so tonight is "drink night". Also, SCHOOLS OUT!!! and I'm officially unemployed. Now I have just over two months to get ready to move to California.
I have plenty of reason to drink, and I'm currently on my second rum & coke. I intend to sleep well tonight - no more grading, no more lesson plans - yeah!!!
Marla

Well I say enjoy it! In fact enjoy and drink for all of us whose tolerance is low or just don't/can't anymore. I wish I was there with you having a few but in time. Sounds like you are enjoying life and partying like a rock star..so rock on!

Rastagirl
06-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Wooo hoooo!! I'll celebrate with you Marla......

Congrats on another School year over... :beerchug:

You have earned your celebration big time....Enjoy your evening & that drink or two....

Hope you enjoy your Summer and your big plans ahead for the move out to your new home on the Right Coast. (I know, we're the Left Coast, but it's the right one to me)

Hey, maybe if my husband and I head down that way to Laguna Seca for my husband to race this Summer, we could get together for some dinner and a glass of wine in lovely Monterey. Wouldn't that be fun?

Happy :6:

:cool2: Lori

p.s. Rum is my drink of choice.... in Jack Sparrow's...I mean CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow's words...."but what about the Rum?"

magistramarla
06-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Lori,
You should come to see us when you get down the coast! However, we won't be there until the fall. We'll leave Texas on September 1 ( I guess I'll be celebrating my B-day on the 3rd on the road). Jeff starts classes on Sept. 21.
We'll be living in base housing, and it looks like all they have are 3 bedroom units (too bad, huh?). That means that we will have room for guests - LOL!
dsunshine,
Sorry to disappoint you, but this old granny doesn't exactly party like a rock star. Its more like a couple of quiet drinks while watching Real Time with Bill Maher and then falling asleep on the couch while watching the news. I know, we're old and boring!
One of these Friday evenings, we'll have to wander down to the local pub where my daughter used to bar tend. Then perhaps it will be worthy of your comment.
We won't be far from you, either. Have you ever visited a military base? Are you single? The young men on a military base are fun to watch. All four of my daughters loved to hang out there, and the youngest one snagged herself an airman! LOL
Hugs,
Marla

JH4VOLS
05-17-2011, 03:24 PM
I too am like many of you and getting tipsy much sooner than I use to. I researched and ask about this. It is because the alcohol and plaquenil are both processed by the liver causing it to intensify both. It can make the side effects even worse. Plaquenil is stored in the liver and dispersed through the body, drinking alcohol changes how the body processes plaquenil and it may give too much or too little. This is what causes the headaches, nausea, dizziness and other side effects to be worse. I hope this helped.

steve.b
05-17-2011, 07:15 PM
check carefully before drinking. alcohol stops some of our medication from working.
according to my rhuemy, both methotrexate and plaquenil do not work when alcohol is in oyur system.

Peridot20_Gem
05-24-2011, 06:10 AM
(Here's some info on what you should look for if drinking Alcohol with plaquenil).

According to the prescribing information for Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine), you should call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects: muscle weakness, twitching, or uncontrolled movement; loss of balance or coordination; blurred vision, light sensitivity, seeing halos around lights; pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding; confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior; or seizure (convulsions). There does not seem to be any warnings against occasional alcohol consumption, but you should check with your physician before you consume any beverage along with this medication.