PDA

View Full Version : Astragalus ??

Grime
04-29-2009, 07:28 PM
I was reading over this information and was wondering if any of you know anything about Astragalus and it's effect on Lupus.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/astragalus-000223.htm

Oluwa
04-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Grime...

I don't know anything about Astragalus, but after reading the info at the link I would think it isn't good for Lupus despite having anti-inflammatory properties....

It reads...stragalus has antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is sometimes used topically for wounds. In addition, studies have shown that astragalus has antiviral properties and stimulates the immune system, suggesting that it is indeed effective at preventing colds.

With Lupus, that is what causes the inflammation...an overactive, over stimulated immune system....it is haywire....

Also....since we are prescribed drugs to suppress our over active immune system it seems it would be counteractive....

Astragalus may counteract the immune-suppressing effects of cyclophosphamide, a medication used to reduce the chances of rejection in transplant recipients, as well as corticosteroids.

Sounds counterproductive...
Happy Thursday, Grime..enjoy the day, I will be too...
Love,
Oluwa

Grime
04-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Thank Oluwa,
That is kind of what I was thinking just wasn't sure. Sure don't need anything that is counterproductive.

Have a great day