PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed...gallstones?

adl011
04-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Hey guys,

Once again, I can't sleep because of pain, but this time is a different pain. I have had diarrhea and vomiting with a mild fever (99-100 degrees F) for three days now. I am also having terrible right upper abdominal and right back pain that goes from my shoulder down to around my kidney area and around to my abdomen. I can't go to the dr right now because I let my insurance expire...I didn't have the money to pay for it. I need to know if you guys know anything about possible gallstones, and whether or not it's an emergent situation. I am also wondering if I should go to the dr. I'm having trouble keeping food down. Liquids stay down well for the most part. I am also extremely bloated. It looks like I'm about four months pregnant. I know I'm NOT pregnant tho, absolutely NO chance. What do you guys think?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Amanda

iseedeadmonkeys
04-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Hello amanda

Firstly sorry to hear your having this problem,

Secondly i had my gallbladder removed with 106 stones when i was 19....due to lupus but wasnt detected back then!
Things i had to saty away from was everything fatty cause it made it ten times worse (as you can imagine) the gall bladder breaks down fatty foods when it doesnt work (like ours) the fat forms into stones making consuming foods with high content of fat extreamly differcult to digest, i remember once i had this awful time with eating a marmite sandwich i was in so much pain i ran outside and passed out on the floor with the pain, makes you go dilarous (sometimes) anyway i was a child then...so getting back to it, you really need to push with the drs, its vital you get them removed, we dont even need our gallbladders anyway so get rid! months leading up to my final admission because of it i was living on soup the cup variety! i found it easier to digest, plus water with everything i ate, try mint tea it really helps too, I really hope you get it sorted soon, as i understand the uncomfortable pain you are going through

Peace and light
ISDM
xxx

wrightrs
04-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I had gallstone had my gallbladder removed. I had the laparosopic surgery when they first start doing it for gallbladders. So they remove my gallbladder through a tiny hole instead of the big incision. I was only in hospital one night. It only takes a few days to recover when you have the laparosopic surgery.

I had a gallbladder attack when they found this. I had a few before this also.
I went to ER and they found it on the ultra sound. (I was treated very badly in the ER. But I won't go into that.)

Sorry about your ins problem.

MicRoMediC
04-28-2009, 04:14 PM
My friend, it does sound like gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed last month but it wasn't stones, it was enlarged and the ejection fraction was low. You do need to go to the doctor and probably have it removed. I can relate to the no insurance thing. You can get a policy online pretty reasonable. But like someone else said, stay away from fatty foods and dairy products, as it does assist in the breakdown of these foods.

adl011
04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have had gall stones before, but they were asymptomatic...only knew because I was having an x-ray to check my ribs. They saw a few small gallstones, but told me it was nothing to worry about. This was about a year ago. I am planning on going to the gyno tomorrow (it's free at my county health unit) so I'm going to ask them if they could check my gall bladder with an ultrasound or something. Then refer me out if surgery is necessary. I'll update you guys tomorrow night or Thursday when I get back.

Thanks again,
Amanda

AyahsClan
04-28-2009, 05:16 PM
You have to get that checked out, it could be just simple gall stones (which they really are not simple and can cause complications like a burst gallbladder), but it could also be liver or pancreas problems.

I'm so sorry you are without medical coverage...::sighs:: what are you to do without it? We are in debt from medical and I only hope it doesn't get worse. Check out a credit program called "care credit", it is for medical bills. We have no interest for 18 months on my oral surgery bill.

adl011
04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks Ayah, I will definitely check them out. If I have to have surgery, that would be a great help!

wrightrs
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I have ins though my husbands job but it pays so little we feel like we don't have ins. We have to work out agreements with the hospital to pay our bills. But most doctors are greedy and won't work with you like the hospital.

adl011
04-28-2009, 10:31 PM
So my inquisitive nature has decided to trick me again...I am a naturally inquisitive person, especially when it comes to my health. I've always been interested in why something weird is happening in my body, as I'm sure many of you are. I try to diagnose myself before I go to the doctors, and it's fun, since most of the time I'm correct. I never tell the drs what I think it is, I just know in my head what I think it is.

Well, this time it proved to be bad. I decided to test to see if this new pain really is my gallbladder, and I'm pretty sure now it is. I'm going to the dr tomorrow, but he's what happened: I know that with gallbladder issues, you shouldn't eat fat (from research and from some of you guys) so I made a bag of extra butter popcorn, and I ate the whole bag. Lots and LOTS of butter. Well, about 15 min after I ate it, I began experiencing more pain, and by 30 min after, I was in excruciating pain. I really think it is my gallbladder now, so I'll make sure to ask the dr. tomorrow.

What do you guys think? Pain and bloating, more pain after eating fat, very tight feeling stomach, slight fever, shoulder/back/abd pain, and heartburn and difficulty breathing in deeply.

~Amanda

sarahp
04-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi Amanda, Oh poor you, sounds like the gallbladder to me ! I really think that you should be checked out..... When the gallbladder is completely full the stones can sometimes spill out and travel down the bile duct !! Believe you me this is extremely painful and very scary.
I had mine removed by keyhole surgery for this reason and im so glad that its gone now.
Take care...no more high fat food please !
Lov sarah x

adl011
04-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Sarah,

yeah definitely a hard lesson learned...I went to the dr today, and they said they think it is my gallbladder, but because it's not an emergency, they won't schedule a surgery without health insurance...so again, I must wait. I either wait for health insurance or the situation to go away or wait for it to get worse. Let the waiting begin...

sickofbeingsick
05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I hope that you are feeling better. Gallstones can become an emergent situation. You can have a gallbladder without gallstone where it just doesn't contract properly, and causes the same symptoms. It's a diseased gallbladder. I scan gallbladders on a daily basis. I think a trip to the dr is important. I am very sorry about your insurance situation. There are programs you can apply for, and if worse comes to worse, you can apply for financial assistance (at a nonprofit hospital or clinic) and possibly have the bill written off. Don't put it off too long, especially since you are not able to keep food down. Your symptoms sound very typical of gallbladder disease. An ultrasound will show if you have stones blocking the bile duct. You could request a HIDA scan with CCK. That shows if the gallbladder is nonfunctioning. Hope you are better soon.

adl011
05-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have an appointment at a nonprofit hospital, but I can't get in until late July. They are very booked. That's what happens when you can't pay, I guess. I am able to keep food down now. I have been eating a non-fat (or as much as possible) lately, and that's really helped. Thanks for the support guys!

sickofbeingsick
05-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh my word thats a long time. I guess if worse comes to worse and you have unbearable pain you could go to their ER. They have to treat you then! Best wishes to you.