PDA

View Full Version : FLU......outbreak in Mexico

iseedeadmonkeys
04-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Hey everyone

just keepin an eye on our american neighbours please keep ure self away from this dreadful flu thats been all over the news :unsure: and do what that man says DONT GO TO WORK IF URE ILL,

Sending you all peace love and happiness!

ISDM
xxx

KATROACH1972
04-26-2009, 03:00 PM
I am kinda freaked out about it, since I AM NEXT DOOR IN TEXAS! I guess I will stir clear of sick people, more then usual! Thanks for your concern! Hugs Kathy

Rastagirl
04-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for your concern, Jane.....

No worries for me....I'm locked away in my house with my gas mask on....carrying my Lysol disinfectant around from room to room. I might venture out later and spray the neighborhood....and then head to the grocery store and spray all the cart handles.....

:)

*she sprays her keyboard for good measure*

Rasta.....

wrightrs
04-26-2009, 03:34 PM
In North Carolina we have a lot of people travel back and forth to Mexico. Two of my neighbor are from there they go all the time. They are getting ready to go for four weeks now.

tasha
04-26-2009, 05:33 PM
i am right next door in southern california and i am worried about this. especially being on an immunosuppressant... i really hope i don't catch it :no:

iseedeadmonkeys
04-27-2009, 03:29 AM
We have 2 suspected cases in Scotland.....knowing my luck and all that...so im staying in lol x

rob
04-27-2009, 04:00 AM
I've been following this on the news, alot of concern about this, and a little bit of paranoia out there too. Some people are thinking this is some sort of a terrorist attack-it's not. Mexico City is huge, and yesterday the news from there showed the place practically deserted. There was a big soccer game, and the stadium was completely empty except for the players on the field. Everyone is staying at home there. Strange stuff.

Saysusie
04-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I know some of you are much to young to remember, but wasn't this flu around in the '70's? I think that I remember having this flu when I was in High School. My doctors tell me that I probably had Lupus back then, but was not diagnosed. So, my immune system was compromised way back then. It was only youth that helped me to overcome that flu, but for a time, I thought I was going to die!
Does anyone remember this flu back in the '70'S?

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

wrightrs
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Saysusie, Yes I remember. It was a big scare back then too!!! But don't remember what year it was!!!

DrinkofWtr
04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I was wondering if having had a flu shot this year protects you at all from the Swine Flu. Does anybody out there know?

iseedeadmonkeys
04-27-2009, 11:15 AM
im not sure DOW but over here, they seeing what happens the next couple of days then deciding weather or not which jab will work, they saying tht the bird flu jab will work with the swine flu, i really dont kno, but all the news progs have been doing 1/2 hour shows on it, its quite scary but like rob says the media makes things look 10 times worse

ISDM
xxx

iseedeadmonkeys
04-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi just to let you know the 2 ppl in scotland have been confirmed with swine flu, but the risk is quite low....the lady on the news said!

ISDM
xx

Larz77
04-27-2009, 06:04 PM
No, the flu shot will not protect you, it's a different version of the flu virus. In fact, the last time this strain was even around was the flu of 1918-1919, the last major flu that we had where more people died than during World War 1 which was on at that time. Apparently, this flu hung around in various strains until the 1950's. They think that people who are over 50 might have some immunity built up for this (but they are not sure). The two other outbreaks of this kind were in like 1957 (I think) and 1968 which is the one Saysuzzie recalls. These strains were also different than the one now going around, so unfortunately, there is no immune agents built up from having these.

I've read that it will take 4-6 months to come up with a vacine, which I'm guessing they will be working on soon (they've started gathering the virus, but haven't started the process yet. The flu cycles in 6-8 weeks increments and generally the virus mutates as it goes. So, this had the potential to be very nasty. I'm trying to teach my children now to practice being very proactive in washing hands and staying clear of anyone who is ill.

Stay positive and healthy my friends....

Larz

magistramarla
04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Saysusie,
I remember very well the Swine Flu outbreak in the '70s. It was 1976, and I was pregnant with our first daughter - the one who is now a PHD in neurobiology. All pregnant women were being encouraged to get the vaccine, but my hubby, then a biology & chemistry major, had doubts about it. I opted not to get the vaccine. At about the time that Heather was born, a story broke that several babies born to moms who had taken the vaccine in the St. Louis area had some very severe birth defects. I don't know if this was widespread, or just a local thing. We definitely counted our blessings that we had decided against it.
Marla
P.S. I haven't been here for a while. I'll write more on a new thread tomorrow - tired right now!
Marla

AyahsClan
04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I've been gleaning news from many different sources. Here in the US we are told we will know by Friday which direction the government will go as far as shutting schools etc. It has the potential to be a pandemic, but doesn't mean it will. We live out away from people and could get by staying home for long period of time.

One Doctor suggests filling up the cupboards and fridge just in case. He also said material masks will not really work, only the medical ones will help. I think one of the reasons there are so many dead in Mexico is due to delayed medical care.

I may be totally wrong but I don't think it is the actual flu that kills but the complications from it that our more advanced countries can provide medical care for.

Hopefully,

iseedeadmonkeys
04-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Kind of like LUPUS then?

Yeah we been told to carry around them hand gels (ya get in hospitals etc) washing hands thoroughly......we all gonna turn into OCD ers! making them look normal hehe! - my brother will be in his element!

anyway im pretty sure this thing will die out like with that of the plague!
Times are alot different now a days, tis really sad tho all the ppl who have died from it, oh and anyone who can answer my programme? what is swine flu anyway?

ISDM
xxx

AyahsClan
04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Kind of like LUPUS then?

Yeah we been told to carry around them hand gels (ya get in hospitals etc) washing hands thoroughly......we all gonna turn into OCD ers! making them look normal hehe! - my brother will be in his element!

anyway im pretty sure this thing will die out like with that of the plague!
Times are alot different now a days, tis really sad tho all the ppl who have died from it, oh and anyone who can answer my programme? what is swine flu anyway?

ISDM
xxx

In layman's terms, it is an influenza virus that only pigs get. What happened is the virus microbe mutated into a form that could then invade another species, us.

IMHO it is due to factory farming of animals, in this case pigs. The bird flu started in China due to the horrific conditions they keep factory farmed birds in, that are in close proximity to humans and wild caught birds. Factory farmed chickens and pigs in the US are also kept in horrific conditions but are pumped full of drugs and antibiotics that third world countries cannot afford.

In addition; since this is an entirely new virus mutation, human bodies have never built up an immunity to it. So yes in a way it is a little like lupus in that our bodies don't react perfectly to any virus invader because it doesn't know when to stop the battle. However, common flu mutates (adapts) and changes, but when it is such a huge leap such as a flu variety of an animal that adapts so quickly to humans, it causes more danger of complications because of the severity of the mutation.

Human influenza attacks human, human body fights off virus, virus adapts to attack and changes a little. Next influenza attack, normal human body has built up immunity by successfully fighting off previous attack, now human body attacks the slightly newly mutated influenza, etc. This is the natural cycle of adaptation.

When it mutates so radically so fast and so unnaturally, thus the potential for pandemic.

Saysusie
04-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Larz & magistramarla;
I thought that it was the same flu. I can tell you that when I had it back then, it was the most horrific illness I've ever had (even to this day and suffering from Lupus et al). As I said earlier, my Mom rushed me to the hospital one night because we thought I was going to die!!
I am also in SoCal, but not close to the Mexican border. My son lives in San Diego where, as of yesterday, there have been four confirmed cases. I worry about him because he works outdoors :nah:. He says he's being very careful, I hope that he is.
I also heard on the news that, in Mexico, the families of those who died from the flu are very angry because they have not been contacted by any health official. It seems that, since they were in close contact with a person who died from the flu, they would be immediately contacted..but that has not happened yet. I agree that most of the deaths were due to complications of the flu, but that is just as scary and serious as dying from the flu directly!
I can't understand why it will take months to come up with a vaccination! But then, I know nothing about working with biological compounds :grumpy:
I just hope that no more people die from this flu and that something can be done to help those who are sick now and to prevent any further infections!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

AyahsClan
04-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Larz & magistramarla;
I thought that it was the same flu. I can tell you that when I had it back then, it was the most horrific illness I've ever had (even to this day and suffering from Lupus et al). As I said earlier, my Mom rushed me to the hospital one night because we thought I was going to die!!
I am also in SoCal, but not close to the Mexican border. My son lives in San Diego where, as of yesterday, there have been four confirmed cases. I worry about him because he works outdoors :nah:. He says he's being very careful, I hope that he is.
I also heard on the news that, in Mexico, the families of those who died from the flu are very angry because they have not been contacted by any health official. It seems that, since they were in close contact with a person who died from the flu, they would be immediately contacted..but that has not happened yet. I agree that most of the deaths were due to complications of the flu, but that is just as scary and serious as dying from the flu directly!
I can't understand why it will take months to come up with a vaccination! But then, I know nothing about working with biological compounds :grumpy:
I just hope that no more people die from this flu and that something can be done to help those who are sick now and to prevent any further infections!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

We are almost neighbors and I have family in SD too. So far so good, we have to wait and see. It is terrible that many more Mexicans are likely to die from it. I think if things get any worse they need to close the border, do you?

Saysusie
04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
That is such a difficult question to answer because it has so many implications and complications inherent in the decision to close the borders. I think that it is very important that the families of those who died be contacted, tested, cared for etc. - that work on a vaccination be stepped up - and that the conditions that let to this outbreak be corrected. Another consideration is the fact that the outbreak is not confined to one Country or Region right now. :nah:
I don't know, I just don't want anyone else to get sick or to die from this.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

AyahsClan
04-28-2009, 11:27 AM
That is such a difficult question to answer because it has so many implications and complications inherent in the decision to close the borders. I think that it is very important that the families of those who died be contacted, tested, cared for etc. - that work on a vaccination be stepped up - and that the conditions that let to this outbreak be corrected. Another consideration is the fact that the outbreak is not confined to one Country or Region right now. :nah:
I don't know, I just don't want anyone else to get sick or to die from this.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

OK, now I am edgy. News is coming out that there are 2 deaths in LA. If this is true I am quarentening my property. That swine flu outbreak was in 1976. 40 million people were given a vaccine for it, it was worse than the flu because it caused paralysis and death. I think only one person died from that outbreak in NJ. I may be wrong on that. I'm getting news as it comes in at Foxnews.

wrightrs
04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
We have cases in NC. They are just calling them possible cases now.

iseedeadmonkeys
04-28-2009, 02:21 PM
We have now got 7 cases of it over here cause they were in contact with the 2 who come back from their honeymoon, they have also been quarinteened (sp?)

Ayahsclan thank you for getting back to me with the explanation of what it really is, now i know im pretty upbeat on the knowledge...or sorta gettin there anyway, can you answer just one more thing for me tho, what does pandemic mean? keep hearing it on the news but not sure what it means

thankyou again
ISDM
xxx

AyahsClan
04-28-2009, 04:38 PM
We have now got 7 cases of it over here cause they were in contact with the 2 who come back from their honeymoon, they have also been quarinteened (sp?)

Ayahsclan thank you for getting back to me with the explanation of what it really is, now i know im pretty upbeat on the knowledge...or sorta gettin there anyway, can you answer just one more thing for me tho, what does pandemic mean? keep hearing it on the news but not sure what it means

thankyou again
ISDM
xxx

YW, Pandemic is how many and how widespread people are effected. Epidemic is less than Pandemic.

Good news from LA, now the coroner says they were not Swine flu deaths.

KathyW1958
04-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Hi all,
Saysusie I remember that flu big time in the 70's. It was called the Hong Kong flu and it was deadly. I am sorry to hear that you ended up with it. I am very lucky that I did not contract that. A lot of folks died from it. It was indeed very bad.

The Swine Flu has me worried big time. I hope like heck that they get it under control and fast. The only good thing about it is that it is hitting at the end of the Flu season. Unlike the Flu outbreak in the 70's that hit at the beginning of the Flu season. I hope that this goes by fast and that nobody on this board gets it. I am avoiding anyone that is sick as best that I can. I am on an immunosuppressor, high dosage, and it has me very concerned big time.

I hope all is well.

Hugs,
Kathy

Grime
04-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Personally I would not loose any sleep over getting Swine Flu. The odds of getting it is like winning the lottery.

Population here in the states. 304,059,724
Cases of Swine Flu. 70
Odds of getting Swine Flu. 4,343,710 to 1

Sure our health is not the best but the more we worry about things we can't change the worst our health will get.

Don't worry and be happy and healthy. Better yet go sailing.

AyahsClan
04-29-2009, 12:23 PM
I have quarentened my property. We may have been exposed to it 2 days ago. 1 case was confirmed at our Marine base with 30 more expected cases there. My nephew works as a cart pusher at Walmart and came over without washing his hands after work. The Marines shop there daily. He wasn't feeling well and fell asleep while visiting. Today he says he feels ok.

So far the numbers are 1 death out of 100 in the US. You can get accurate numbers at; http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/index.htm

These are not odds I am going to take lightly. I take care of my 80 year old mother. I told her "we been through too much to be taken out by swine flu." My husband thinks it would be ironic in his goofy aspie way because I am somewhat kosher and will not even allow pork in the house. He will not think it is funny when he comes home on his 5 days off from trucking and has to stay out on the bus. ;)

rob
04-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Looks like we have half a dozen confirmed cases here in Maine. A bunch of schools are closed downstate. It's hard to know what to think about all this. Grime is right about the odds of actually getting this, it's like winning the lottery. And I know how the news media likes to make a big deal over nothing, but...

I'll just say I'm glad to be geographically isolated, and self sufficient. I could hold up here for a long period of time if I needed to. Lets just hope this thing peters out, and doesn't become more widespread.

Rob

KATROACH1972
04-30-2009, 09:00 AM
The goverment came to Texas, and cancelled my daughters REGIONAL TRACK MEET. Shewas looking forward to it, because she was only freshmen to make varsity, and regional in her school. I dont understand why they would do, and not cancel school in general. Kinda freaky! Hugs Kathy oh she said, well i got 3 more years and i dont want no pig flu!! LOL

iseedeadmonkeys
04-30-2009, 10:02 AM
lol kathy....i got sent a very rude joke yesterday to do with swine flu and bird flu, i was shocked i had to delete it :shocked:

isdm
xxx

Oluwa
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
In South Carolina we have had 10 cases thus far....the closest case is about 11 miles from my home....

I'm Oluwa reporting live from South Carolina...back to you Iseedeadmonkeys...

iseedeadmonkeys
04-30-2009, 10:36 AM
lol aww ive missed ya chick.....welcome back xxx

magistramarla
04-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Kathy,
You must be close to me. All of the UIL events here in San Antonio have been canceled. It makes sense, since there are some confirmed cases in Shertz and New Braunfels. They don't want anyone who has been exposed to be hanging out with those who haven't. I'm keeping track of the news to see if the district that I teach in becomes affected. In Fort Worth, where my daughter teaches pre-school, all of the schools in the county have been closed until May 8.
Marla

Grime
04-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Port O'Connor Texas is a small town with a large Hispanic population that do go to Mexico.

This morning early I could hear the sirens from an ambulance and then when I took Lisa to work at 1pm there was one coming into town, just flying, an went to a house that had another one there. I'll find out what was going on after I pick up Lisa at work.

The school here was open today as the school bus runs right be the rv park.

Don't worry and go sailing.

KATROACH1972
04-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I am in Crawford.Marla. Thus far our school hasnt cancelled anything! Kinda sucks, i have more Drs appointment next three weeks then ever! Maybe I should get a mask! lol
Kathy,
You must be close to me. All of the UIL events here in San Antonio have been canceled. It makes sense, since there are some confirmed cases in Shertz and New Braunfels. They don't want anyone who has been exposed to be hanging out with those who haven't. I'm keeping track of the news to see if the district that I teach in becomes affected. In Fort Worth, where my daughter teaches pre-school, all of the schools in the county have been closed until May 8.
Marla

wrightrs
04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
There are cases in Charlotte but still have said for sure if it that or not.

AyahsClan
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
At this point I don't think it is as deadly as medical professionals thought it would be. Yes it is spreading like wildfire, yes some people need hospitalization, but there are supposedly 3,900 deaths a year in the US from different strains of flu.

I still don't want to deal with it and am taking all precautions. Today I read it is a mix of pig, bird and human flu never seen before, but doesn't seem to be deadly if treated. Time will tell.

Reporting from Yucca Mesa;

"ONE SWINE FLU CONFIRMED, 3 SUSPECTED, 22 QUARANTINED ON MARINE CORP BASE"

"CITY MONITORING SWINE FLU SITUATION
In response to confirmed positive Swine Flu case aboard the Twentynine Palms Marine Base, the City of Twentynine Palms is working closely with the Marine Base, County Public Health, and Hi-Desert Medical Center to receive frequent updates and have resources available should they be needed. City Manager Michael Tree said, “Residents in the community should be cautious and vigilant but not panicked, keeping their health professional or doctor informed of any flu symptoms they or their family may be experiencing. Certainly the Swine Flu is something to be taken seriously by us all.”'

Courtesy of KCDZ FM

I'm not so sure about the "seriously" part. It does seem to be spreading fast but if it was a commoner strain would it spread slower?

Angel Oliver
04-30-2009, 05:17 PM
You keep strong and im thinking of you n your mum,wishing and hoping a great and positive outcome my friend.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

iseedeadmonkeys
05-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Port O'Connor Texas is a small town with a large Hispanic population that do go to Mexico.

This morning early I could hear the sirens from an ambulance and then when I took Lisa to work at 1pm there was one coming into town, just flying, an went to a house that had another one there. I'll find out what was going on after I pick up Lisa at work.

The school here was open today as the school bus runs right be the rv park.

Don't worry and go sailing.

David i love you humour....lets all go sailing no chances of getting this on the open water is there?

ISDM
xxx

mountaindreamer
05-01-2009, 06:58 AM
georgia has one confirmed case, and others being tested.....yipes, let's all go sailing, camping, something that keeps us isolated from this mess.

Oluwa
05-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Live from South Carolina, Oluwa reporting with an update. 13 cases of swine flu. Over n out.

Rastagirl
05-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Rastagirl reporting in with some breaking news..... :reporter:

If you take a look at the National Map being shown on news around the country, it appears that no one travels to the Northwest corner of the country...as there are no confirmed cases yet in any state North of California or East of the Dakotas.

We are apparently of no interest to the rest of the traveling country. We are feeling isolated and left out of all the hype. :veryhappy: Thank goodness!

We do have a report of one possible case this morning in Southern Oregon, and Western Oregon State University has been closed until Tuesday.

Throwing it back your way...WHL amateur reporters Nationwide.

Back to you...

Rasta :cool2:

iseedeadmonkeys
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
We in UK now have 1 man from london who caught it from another human!!

more to report all in good time.....................now to the weather.......its gonna be really hot this bank holiday weekend, so all those with LUPUS please apply plenty of high sun factor and drink plenty of BEER........hava good w/e

ISDM
xxx

Grime
05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Here is some information that a friend posted on one of the sailing forum. It came to him from his sister.

Subject: Flu Update from Dr. Gitterle

After I returned from a public health meeting yesterday with community leaders and school officials in Comal County , Heather suggested I send an update to everyone, because what we are hearing privately from the CDC and Health Department is so different from what you are hearing in the media. Some of you know some or maybe all of this, but I will just list what facts I know..

- The virus is infectious for about 2 days prior to symptom onset

- Virus sheds more than 7 days after symptom onset (possibly as long as 9 days) (this is unusual)

- Since it is such a novel (new) virus, there is no "herd immunity," so the "attack rate" is very high. This is the percentage of people who come down with a virus if exposed. Almost everyone who is exposed to this virus will become infected, though not all will be symptomatc. That is much higher than seasonal flu, which averages 10-15%. The "clinical attack rate" may be around 40-50%. This is the number of people who show symptoms. This is a huge number. It is hard to convey the seriousness of this.

- The virulence (deadliness) of this virus is as bad here as in Mexico , and there are folks on ventilators here in the US , right now. This has not been in the media, but a 23 month old near here is fighting for his life, and a pregnant woman just south of San Antonio is fighting for her life. In Mexico , these folks might have died already, but here in the US , folks are getting Tamiflu or Relenza quickly, and we have ready access to ventilators. What this means is that within a couple of weeks, regional hospitals will likely become overwhelmed.

- Some of the kids with positive cases in Comal County had more than 70 contacts before diagnosis.

- There are 10-25 times more actual cases (not "possible" cases -- actual), than what is being reported in the media. The way they fudge on reporting this is that it takes 3 days to get the confirmatory nod from the CDC on a given viral culture, but based on epidemiological grounds, we know that there are more than 10 cases for each "confirmed" case right now.

- During the night, we crossed the threshold for the definition of a WHO, Phase 6 global pandemic. This has not happened in any of our lifetimes so far. We are in uncharted territory.

- I expect President Obama will declare an emergency sometime in the next 72-96 hours. This may not happen, but if it doesn't, I will be surprised. When this happens, all public gathering will be cancelled for 10 days.

- I suggest all of us avoid public gatherings. Outdoor activities are not as likely to lead to infection. It is contained areas and close contact that are the biggest risk..

- Tamiflu is running out. There is a national stockpile, but it will have to be carefully managed, as it is not enough to treat the likely number of infections when this is full-blown. I don't think there is a big supply of Relenza, but I do not know those numbers. If I had to choose, I would take Relenza, as I think it gets more drug to the affected tissue than Tamiflu.

- You should avoid going to the ER if you think you have been exposed or are symptomatic. ER's south of here are becoming overwhelmed -- and I mean that -- already. It is coming in waves, but the waves are getting bigger.

- It appears that this flu produces a distinctive "hoarseness" in many victims. The symptoms, in general, match other flu's; namely, sore throat, body aches, headache, cough, and fever. Some have all these symptoms, while others may have only one or two.

- N-Acetyl-Cysteine -- a nutritional supplement available at the health food store or Wimberley Pharmacy, has been shown to prevent or lessen the severity of influenza. I suggest 1200mg, twice a day for adults, and 600mg twice a day in kids over 12. It would be hard to get kids under 12 to take it, but you could try opening the capsules and putting it on yogurt. For 40 pounds and up, 300-600 mg twice a day, for less than 40 pounds, half that.

- Oscillococinum, a homeopathic remedy, has been vindicated as quite effective in a large clinical trial in Europe , with an H1N1 variant. You can buy this at Hill Country Natural Foods, or the Wimberley Pharmacy.

End of email.

Lisa and I have a large wedding to go to Saturday afternoon and the crowd are coming from all over. One couple are coming from Wimberley. There is no way we will miss this wedding as they are our dear friends.

From reading this it will be hard for us to know if its Lupus or H1N1. I do not recommend anyone taking the meds listed above without talking to their doctor first.

wrightrs
05-01-2009, 05:03 PM
This makes me afraid to take my mother for a test she has scheduled at the hospital. They should call these things off til this is over.

magistramarla
05-01-2009, 06:56 PM
David,
I wasn't feeling too worried 'til I read your post. I'm closed in a building with nearly 3000 teens every day, many of whom freely visit between here and Mexico, so now I'm worried!
Marla

mountaindreamer
05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
once again, we can count on David to provide incredibly educational information to the group.

Marla, i think you should start wearing the recommended mask, and constantly disinfect your hands....are you treating lupus with an immune suppressent medication?

i am fortunate in that i am not in constant enclosed environments, but when i am, i am wearing the mask....afraid to risk it.

i was nervous about going into hospital last week for my heart procedure, but as of that time, we did not have any "documented cases" in the atlanta area....now i hear that there are a few in surrounding cities.

writrs, i don't blame you about being nervous to take your mom for tests, can they be rescheduled?

yuk, yuk,yuk,,,,,as if we did not already have enough to worry about.

Grime
05-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Marla,
It was not my intentions to cause worry to anyone about H1N1. We have enough to worry about with our stupid Lupus. I know that living here in Texas and the Hispanic population it is hard not to worry.

From what I understand today the H1N1 is not as bad as the news has posted in the last few days. I still wouldn't go to Mexico at this time.

I canceled my appointments at the VA in S.A. for other reasons but glad I did. I'll get a good dose of exposure this afternoon and tonight at the wedding. Going to have a blast anyway.

AyahsClan
05-02-2009, 08:50 AM
This has been an emotional roller coaster ride for sure. We are lied to from the government, I know this is true they did it here. They did not release the truth from the Marine base until it had already been leaked, but first they lied. Why? If it is just a "bad flu" why are the facts being hidden?

Why did the first reports out of Mexico claim 250 + deaths? Then it goes down to a few?

If this is so harmless WHY has it been reported that the national guard has been deployed to guard Tamiflu and Relenza?

Does Biden know something we don't?

Why has the WHO declared this a pandemic of the highest level?

Why have we not heard of the conditions of any of those infected?

I don't feel like I can trust the CDC, government or the media on this.

I don't know how to spell quarenteen, but we are holding out until I am more confident that we are learning the truth.

Grimes, stock your boat with Tamiflu and we'll all meet you at the harbor and sail to the middle of the ocean to wait this out.

Oluwa
05-05-2009, 03:36 PM
I am Oluwa reporting live from South Carolina with a Swine Flu update..our total reaches 16 confirmed and 11 probable....back to you ISDM...over n out.

Pretti in Pink
05-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, I'm in Houston, TX. where the first person, stateside, died. It was an infant. That was last week. Today they announced another lady died here in Texas. There were alot of schools closed and events cancelled. I stayed in home and made my trips out few and far between. My mother in law has been in the hospital and I didn't go and visit her last week.

Today they announced they will be opening the schools, and reinstating events and will be treating the SWINE just as they do the regular flu.

So far so good here but are still staying cautious.

Saysusie
05-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Just to clarify a Pandemic: A pandemic occurs when experts identify a new virus strain for which most people have no natural immunity and when it is an epidemic of an infectious disease that spreads through populations across a large region; for instance a continent, or even worldwide."

In 1968, the Hong Kong Flu was declared a Pandemic. However, the Hong Kong flu was the mildest of the three pandemics in the 20th century (1957. The Asian flu & 1918: The Spanish flu pandemic was possibly the deadliest outbreak of all time and was first identified in the United States).

This H1N1 strain is estimated to have killed 40 to 50 million people worldwide.
Here is some of the "Interim Guidance" issued as of today by the CDC

"Transmission: Transmission of novel influenza A (H1N1) is being studied as part of the ongoing outbreak investigation, but limited data available indicate that this virus is likely transmitted in ways similar to other influenza viruses. Seasonal human influenza viruses are thought to be transmitted between persons primarily through large-particle respiratory droplet transmission (e.g., when an infected person coughs or sneezes near a susceptible person). Transmission via these large-particle droplets requires close contact between source and recipient persons because droplets do not remain suspended in the air and generally travel only a short distance (< 6 feet). Contact with contaminated surfaces is another possible source of transmission and transmission via small-droplet nuclei (also called “airborne” transmission) might also occur, but the contribution of these modes of transmission to influenza epidemiology is uncertain. Because data on the transmission of novel H1N1 viruses are limited, the potential for ocular, conjunctival, or gastrointestinal infection is unknown. Since this is a novel influenza A (H1N1) virus in humans, transmission from infected persons to close contacts might be common. All respiratory secretions and bodily fluids (diarrheal stool) of novel influenza A (H1N1) cases should be considered potentially infectious.

Close contact, for the purposes of this document, is defined as having cared for or lived with a person who is a confirmed, probable or suspected case of novel influenza A (H1N1), or having been in a setting where there was a high likelihood of contact with respiratory droplets and/or body fluids of such a person. Examples of close contact include kissing or embracing, sharing eating or drinking utensils, physical examination, or any other contact between persons likely to result in exposure to respiratory droplets. Close contact typically does not include activities such as walking by an infected person or sitting across from a symptomatic patient in a waiting room or office.

High-risk groups: A person who is at high-risk for complications of novel influenza (H1N1) virus infection is defined as the same for seasonal influenza at this time. As more epidemiologic and clinical data become available, these risk groups might be revised.
*Children younger than 5 years old. The risk for severe complications from seasonal influenza is highest among children younger than 2 years old.
*Adults 65 years of age and older.
*Persons with the following conditions:
*(THIS IS OUT GROUP)Chronic pulmonary (including asthma), cardiovascular (except hypertension), renal, hepatic, hematological (including sickle cell disease), neurologic, neuromuscular, or metabolic disorders (including diabetes mellitus);
* (THIS IS OUR GROUP) Immunosuppression, including that caused by medications or by HIV;
*Pregnant women.
*Persons younger than 19 years of age who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy;
*Residents of nursing homes and other chronic-care facilities."

Here is the entire website for this information:
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/recommendations.htm

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
05-07-2009, 06:38 PM
That second case here in Texas was very sad. She was a very pregnant 33 yr. old teacher in Harlingen. Her healthy daughter was delivered by c-section just before she died. I feel so sorry for her husband, What a sad beginning for his child.
So far, we have no cases at all in the Northside ISD, and 19 days of school to go, but who's counting?
Marla

Rastagirl
05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I read the story on the internet this morning of the woman that died and I cried for her....for her beautiful daughter that will never know her mother....and for her husband. I cannot imagine the pain and sadness he must be going through right now.

This is such a very sad tragedy. I said a prayer for her, and for all of her family and friends that love her.

Lori :heart:

rob
05-07-2009, 07:46 PM
You would think that a virus that originates in Mexico would take awhile to go as far north as Maine, but we now have something like three dozen cases so far up here. Thankfully no deaths. I also read the story of the lady who died after her baby was delivered. Very sad story. It's funny, I like to think I'm prepared for just about anything. I live pretty far out in the boonies, and I have all the stuff I need for most situations-generator, MRE's, stored water and fuel, water purification gear-the works. But other than a few surgical masks, there's nothing to defend against something like this. The local hospitals are out of Tamiflu, or only have enough for those who are really sick. I have gas masks, and they certainly will protect you, but you can't live your life wearing stuff like that, it's just not practical. Hopefully this situation won't get any worse. Crazy stuff.

Rob

Rastagirl
05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
You're right, Rob, you can't live your life wearing a gas mask or going crazy trying to protect yourself against a virus. It's virtually impossible...even if you do all the right things.

How much is too much worrying? I've been doing my best to go on about my life normally, but in the back of my mind, always lurking, is the fact that I am at a much higher risk for not only getting this flu, but surviving it.

With my immune system compromised, there's always a chance it could infect me easier, and I also have an added worry. Because of the situation with my vocal cords, I have an extremely tiny (pediatric size) airway and cannot be intubated. My ENT and Vocal Cord Specialist have told me that if I ever have to be intubated, my airway could swell shut and I would need to have a tracheotomy after intubation. In other words, a serious respiratory illness could be extremely detrimental for me.

Whenever I do contract just a simple cold, I have to be extra vigilant to keep my lungs and airway healthy and not let it even begin to go deeply into my lungs. I have been very fortunate, so far, to have had very few colds or respiratory illnesses in the past 10 years. I pray it continues.

So I do my best to stay optimistic...to avoid worry, since it affects your immune system even more...and to remember my Lysol wipes for the shopping cart when I go to the grocery store, cuz they've been running out a lot in the last week.

If it wouldn't be to much to ask...could some of you keep me in your prayers through all of this?

Thanks....

:cool2: Lori

magistramarla
05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Lori,
If you don't mind me asking, what is the situation with your vocal chords? I was diagnosed with Spasmodic Dysphonia in mine, so I have to get Botox injections directly into the vocal chords every three months. It really gets tight for a while, and I have a difficult time swallowing.
Do you have the same sort of problem, or something different?
Marla

magistramarla
05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Update for Northside ISD - we now have 5 cases; all in the elementary and middle schools. Whenever a student asks to go to the nurse, I send them without question!
Marla

ashleybaby715
05-09-2009, 07:12 PM
theres been confirmed cases in PA...and in our countyyyy!!
im really scared that it might come to pittsburgh!
ihope not!

iseedeadmonkeys
05-10-2009, 06:02 AM
We have had more confirmed cases in britain, and one like 1/2 an hour up the road from me.

We have had a few schools close also.

Last week i had my friend over as we was going out on saturday, she stayed the night on friday, she was being violently sick, running a high temp, (which i dint realise til about half an hour after she got here), i dont think she realised the importance of not being near me when ill, so i sent her to bed, then sitting here obv reading this thread, absolutly scared out of my wits that i would have to report her and me to NHS, then i started getting ill too, headache, fever, sickness, it got to about half ten and i had to go to bed i was soo ill!
I had to share the same bed as her, so thought whatever she got ive prob caught anyway!

So we woke in the morning and both feeling fine and dandy, whatever it was she caught and gave to me was NOT swine flu THANKFULLY, still dont know what it was, but later that day we all got heat stroke anyway :)

Made me realise just how easy it is to catch summin like that (for us low immunies)

Im not gonna walk around with a pig mask on my face, whatever will be will be, its all to do with fate, i will take extra precautions ie handwashing etc.

My heart goes out to the families who have lost loved ones tho.

peace
ISDM
xxx

Oluwa
05-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Thank you ISDM..I'm Oluwa reporting live form South Carolina...currently 29 cases of Swine Flu and 5 probable. Twenty-four of the 29 confirmed cases are related to a trip to Mexico. Swinging back to you ISDM..over n out.

rob
05-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Close call for a family member. My Niece, who works for the Transportation Security Administration at Logan Airport in Boston suddenly got sick along with a co-worker with what looked like flu symptoms. Their boss put them in an ambulance to the hospital ASAP for testing. They are sick, but it's not H1N1/swine flu or whatever they are choosing to call it today. They got some mild food poisoning I guess, and are both on the mend. I'm happy that's all it was.

Back to you Oluwa...

DrinkofWtr
05-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I found out that you are not protected from the swine flu from a prior flu shot. It looks like this is not going to be as deadly a type of flu they thought it might at first be.

Saysusie
05-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Rob;
I'm glad that your sister and her co-worker are fine. I know that was probably quite a scare for them and Kudos to their boss for acting immediately! Phew!:omg:

Drinkofwater:
That has been the issue with this particular flu, the fact that there have been no previous immunity or inoculations for it. That is part of the reason why it has become a pandemic:grumpy:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ashleybaby715
05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
there has been a death around here... the man died but he had underlying illnesses' ...kinda like US !
soo we all need to make sure we take the extra precautions to avoid this !
i always wash my hands, and i have hand sanitizer always in my purse! hehe

im not gonna go walking around with a mask on tho, thats a little ridiculous !

iseedeadmonkeys
05-12-2009, 05:47 AM
Its all a shame really tht the whole world has something in common.............shame its for the wrong reasons!

ISDM
xx

DrinkofWtr
05-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I just found out my apartment manager has the swine flu, and I don't think she was kidding about it either. I pray that I will not come down with it due to my compromised immune system. I pray that none of us will come down with it due to our compromised immune systems.

sick n tired
05-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Oh no, Drink...I hope you don't come down with it either...

my daughter's fiance came down with it a few weeks ago...it was a scare, because the day before, he was with our whole family as we were having a birthday party...but nobody contracted it so far....thank God...does anybody know what the incubation period is?

froggal
05-13-2009, 01:24 AM
I already have a staph infection that I cannot get rid of . . . I do not need some crazy old flu that no one knows anything about!! We have 12 confirmed cases here in Kansas, but only 3 are in the city I live in. I am very happy that I am no longer living in Twenty nine Palms CA!!!:unsure:

Rastagirl
05-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Lori,
If you don't mind me asking, what is the situation with your vocal chords? I was diagnosed with Spasmodic Dysphonia in mine, so I have to get Botox injections directly into the vocal chords every three months. It really gets tight for a while, and I have a difficult time swallowing.
Do you have the same sort of problem, or something different?
Marla

Hi Marla....

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread to answer you...and I don't mind you asking at all.

I just googled 'spasmodic dysphonia' and read thru. Do they think yours is genetic or is it a neurological involvement from your Lupus? Do others in your family have it too?

My vocal cord situation was caused by an upper GI test I had a long time ago. During an upper endoscopy, the GI doctor put a very very large tube down my very very small throat. I was so drugged up on valium at the time, I tried to tell him the tube was 3 times the size of my throat, but he insisted it would be fine. I was pretty drugged and not in a position to insist he stop. After the procedure, I was told I'd probably have a sore throat for a week or so. I had a severe sore throat with difficulty swallowing for 8 weeks. It eventually healed up and I forgot about it. But what had happened was the inflammation and irritation had caused swelling in my vocal cords and arthritis set in the joints of the cords. Gradually, over a period of 10 or 15 years, my vocal cords scarred over and fixed in a very closed position. Because it happened gradually, I didn't even realize if was occuring. The only thing I noticed was that my voice seemed to be getting deeper...I would comment to my husband that I couldn't hit the high notes anymore when I was singing. He'd just joke and tell me I was imagining it.

What finally got me into the doctor was a couple of things. Because my airway was closing, I started having diffculty breathing and my Immunologist for my Lupus thought I had asthma. He was actually treating me for asthma for about 2 years, with every different kind of med. but we just couldn't figure out why I wasn't responding to anything. Then I started having spasms in my esophogus, usually at night, it would wake me out of a deep sleep and I'd start gagging and coughing and couldn't breathe. At the same time, I had started snoring incredibly loud and it was keeping my husband from sleeping at night. He kept accusing me of snoring and I kept denying it, cuz I couldn't even hear myself....I'd sleep right through it.

What finally drove me to the ENT was that my husband quit sleeping in the same room with me. He was on the couch every night and I got pretty depressed over it. Thank goodness I was referred to a fantastic ENT, a very down-to-earth woman doctor, who listened to all my symptoms and things going on and took a look in my airway. She told me she suspected I had bilateral, fixed vocal cords and she wrote it on a small piece of paper to take to the Stress Test I was having (for my asthma) the next day. So I go to the Stress Test and hand the paper to the technician and climb on the treadmill. About 20 minutes into the test, the tech tells me to stop, shuts down all the machines, and tells me my ENT is right. That all the noise I was making was all in my upper airway...my lungs weren't involved at all.

The next step was an exploratory surgery, where my ENT put me under anesthesia, to see what happened when my muscles all totally relaxed in my mouth and throat. And she went down my throat with a scope to get a better look at the vocal cords. She very carefully used a tiny instrument to force my vocal cords to move, and managed to break one side free of the scar tissue. She then injected steroids into each cord and got out of there before causing any irritation. It all took about 20 minutes. When she was done, she went out to talk to my husband and told him that yes, indeed, I was snoring when I went to sleep. And she said not just regular snoring...the loudest she had ever heard in her life. She said that right at the point where I went under the anesthesia, my throat muscles and vocal cords relaxed so completely that when I tried to breathe on my own, I was compensating and dragging air in and causing my vocal cords to vibrate. I'm embarrassed to even tell the next part.....She said that I snored so loud, that other doctors and nurses could hear it through the lead doors of the operating room and came in to see who was making all the noise. They couldn't believe that sound was coming from a tiny 90 pound woman.

Since then, I have to be followed every 6 months at the ENT vocal cord specialist to monitor my airway. After she had injected the steroids, my airway slowly opened back up and was good for a year or two. But then started closing again. They don't want to go back in and mess with it anymore, because I just don't have any extra room for any swelling and they're worried about having to do a tracheotomy and it ending up being permanent. The last Vocal Cord Specialist and Speech Therapist I saw told me about the Botox injections they've been able to use on most people with situations like this, but said it would be too risky for me because of the plumping the Botox causes in the cords. So what I'm left with is a voice that barely works now. I already had a quiet voice to begin with, but now it's not much at all. I've completely lost the ability to project my voice and in this incredibly noisy world, hardly anyone can hear me anymore. It's quite frustrating in my daily life. I can't use drive-up windows anymore...in order to have conversations at say, a party, I have to stand right next to the person I'm talking to. It's managed to take my self confidence down a huge notch...especially when people ask my ALL the time, what's wrong with my voice? ....Do I have laryngitis? ....etc. I'm to the point where I'm sick of explaining it to everyone I talk to.

Funny, though, it didn't bother me telling you at all. It's most definitely easier for me to type out my words and thoughts now, than to speak them.

I guess I could have just given you the simple answer and said I have bilateral fixed vocal cords. I guess because talking has become more difficult for me, I find it easier to tell my medical stories this way....on a keyboard. And in sharing it here, it may just help some other person with Lupus who's searching for answers in the future. Never know....

Keep well,

:cool2: Lori

magistramarla
05-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Wow, Lori,
I hope that the doc that started all that can be held responsible!!
My vocal chords are doing much the same thing, but all on their own. The Botox shots do help me. I noticed my voice having problems soon after the "Katrina Kids" that we got from Louisiana brought all kind of new germs to our school. I got sick along with the students and had a couple of bad bouts of bronchitis. I kept right on teaching with a raspy voice, and when it never went away, I just thought that the bronchitis had caused it.
Later, my PCP sent me to an ENT for a re-check on the Meniere's Syndrome. He very quickly caught the Spasmodic Dysphonia also and sent me to his buddy that does the Botox injections. It is all a real pain, but I do manage to keep talking and teaching.
They say that both of these problems are neurological, so I'm suspecting that the Lupus has something to do with it. My mother and my aunt had a lot of the same symptoms that I have, but nothing was ever diagnosed for them, except arthritis and then Alzheimer's late in their lives. I'm thinking that they both had all of this,too.
I'm glad that we can talk about these shared frustrations, too. It does help to know that someone else is dealing with the same things. It's kind of sad, but funny, that I'm always telling my students to speak up, since I can't hear them because of the Meniere's causing a hearing loss, and then I have to repeat myself because they can't hear my shaky little voice!
Take care,
Marla

iseedeadmonkeys
05-25-2009, 11:23 AM
News in from ISDM's part of the world......

now 71 confirmed cases in the capitol (London)

........over and out!

iseedeadmonkeys
07-15-2009, 08:00 PM
It has now reached the top up my road!

Madness......all the way from mexico too

ISDM

Danica01
07-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for updating us!!!!!! Hide under the bed........it does not like to go under there! Closet is the second choice!

iseedeadmonkeys
11-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Hiya i know its been a while from when this thread was originally created..

I would like to know how many of you guys have had your swine flu jab?

im off to get mine tmrw morning, i had my anual one done on thursday still red lump on my arm, so why do we have to wait for 20 mins after the jab? the nurse just fobbed me off with "its goverment policy"

ISDM

iseedeadmonkeys
11-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Not that anybody has replied!! for those wondering or worried about the swine flu jab/shot....

I thought i would let everyone know that when u go for ure swine flu jab you need to wait for 20 mins after incase anyone feels sick and collapses, it does make u feel a bit light headed but nothing compaired to what we deal with on a day to day basis with the lupus...or (for those on mtx) mondays....

ISDM

magistramarla
11-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info, ISDM,
My PCP was very adamant about me getting the pneumonia shot a couple of weeks ago. That sucker made me feel rotten and my arm was sore for over a week. He also wants me to get the swine flu shot. The problem is that it is only available if you go and wait in a long, long line for shots that are being offered by the county. I don't feel like going through that kind of pain, so I'll wait 'til they are more readily available. I'll be visiting a newborn grandson in January, so I think that I should get it for his sake, too.
Marla

mountaindreamer
11-15-2009, 01:21 PM
i was waiting for the shot to be available here, the only vaccine we had was the spray, and i can not get that because of mtx. Like Marla, you had to wait in long lines at the health department to get the shot, and i just did not make it.......well, i now have a horrible cold, and hope it is not the flu....time will tell.