PDA

View Full Version : Food to help with pain for Lupus and Fibromyalgia

adl011
04-25-2009, 06:31 AM
Hey guys, I was doing some research on pain relief for lupus and fibromyalgia, and I found this Shake recipe and I wanted to share it with everyone. I hope it helps someone.

Dr. John Gray’s “Shake” is popular with Fibromyalgia and Lupus patients and people who suffer from other pain or fatigue-related illnesses, tension, sleep problems and depression.

The ingredients of the “Shake” form a great recipe to balance the chemicals in the brain at the start of the day. Dr John Gray recommends that the “Shake” is taken in the morning, because this is when most of the serotonin the body needs for the day is produced and this can only happen if the brain receives the proper nutrients...

Gray spent many years researching the effects of these ingredients on the brain and finding the correct amounts of what is needed. Providing the brain with all the nutrients it needs can also reduce withdrawal symptoms. As a result, Gray’s “Shake” is also popular with patients who are trying to give up smoking or who have had to stop taking a medication for any reason.
The “Shake” is cheap and easy to prepare once you get into the routine of preparing it every morning. It replaces breakfast, keeps you full till lunchtime, and what’s more, most people like the way it tastes.
To create the “Shake” you need the following ingredients:
Whey (3/4 tablespoon for women - 1 tablespoon for men)
Flax (2 tablespoons for women - 1 tablespoon for men)
3 or 4 almonds
1 apple
1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon molasses (start with 1 teaspoon and gradually increase how much you take each morning, up to 1 tablespoon)

Add the whey, flax and almonds to the blender and mix until it's all tiny pieces. Core the apple but leave the peel on. Add the apple and the molasses. Blend the mixture again. You may wish to add a little water to make it more liquid.

If you’re not keen on apples, you can use half an apple and add any other fruit of your choice. A banana or half a cup of frozen mixed berries is popular with many followers of the “Shake”.
Whey is a protein powder. It is usually fairly cheap to buy a large bag at health food shops. These will last a long time if you are only using the whey for your morning “Shakes”.
Flax seeds (also called Linseeds) must be ground in order for the body to process it. Putting it in the blender should do the trick. If you buy pre-ground flax it must be stored in the freezer once the bag has been opened, to prevent it from going bad. Flax alone helps many patients with tension, sleep problems, hair loss and depression, so it is easy to see why Dr Gray includes it in the “Shake” recipe. Flax is also easy to find in health shops and some supermarkets, usually with the nuts and seeds.

I'm tired of having to take narcotic pain meds just to get a little relief. They are working less and less all the time because my body is adjusting to them, so I plan on going to a health food store tonight and getting the supplies to try it out. I'll let you all know how it goes. Hope this helps!

~Amanda

mountaindreamer
04-26-2009, 02:42 PM
thanks amanda,

i will definitely give this a try....i have a question, must we use molasses, or is maple syrup ok?

i used to use a lot of shakes in my daily nutritional routine, and i would peel, slice and freeze banana pieces. when added to a shake mixture, it serves as ice, and gives shake the frozen texture. might be worth trying here.

adl011
04-26-2009, 03:27 PM
the molasses is really just a sweetening and thickening agent, so i would say yes maple syrup would work, but i'm not an expert :) it'd be worth trying tho

wrightrs
04-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks I will try this. I need all the help I can get.

AyahsClan
04-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Here is a list compiled by Dr Perricone as anti-inflamatory:

Perricone suggests these 10 "super-foods," chosen because of their anti- inflammatory activity:

1. Acai fruit (found in health stores)
2. Allium vegetables: garlic, onions, leeks, scallions, chives, and shallots
3. Barley
4. Green foods, such as wheatgrass
5. Buckwheat, both seeds and grains
6. Beans and lentils
7. Hot peppers
8. Nuts and seeds
9. Sprouts
10. Yogurt and kefir

This is on WebMD. If you google "anti-inflammatory foods" you can find some legit wesites like WebMD and Dr. Perricone's. I would add organic blueberries to the list as a daily and green tea from personal experience.

It really does help me to stay away from foods that cause inflammation.