PDA

View Full Version : new to nephritis

awhite
04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
First time on this (or any forum) site. I'm 55 y.o., had SLE diagnosed about 18 years ago--subacute cutaneous type. I've been very fortunate to have it stay there, with flares about once a year that were suppressed with increased prednisone. This year I've developed nephritis and now am facing decisions about treatment. Just had my conference with the nephrologist to review the biopsy results a couple of days ago. He has laid out the options of infused steroid + Cytoxan + fairly high dose oral prednisone (60 mg) between infusions OR the oral Cellcept (sp?) + not-so-high prednisone (30 mg) therapy--both of these for six months. He clearly thinks the the first one is indicated in my case (because of my hematocrit level). So, I'm interested in hearing from others who have had that particular regimen to treat nephritis--or something like it. Any warnings, precautions, what worked, what didn't, inspiring tales will be much appreciated.

TERIOD
04-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Hello Awhite, I am sorry to hear about your predicament, I am well past the cytoxin/cellcept treatments, and although I went the cellcept way twice from what i understand it is about 6 of one half dozen of the other type thing, with the cytoxan being a little more toxic for your body, in this case i would probally leave it up to the doc to call, it sounds like he knows the treatment progressions well, while under going either of these treatments you should keep yourself in the best shape as possible in order to give yourself the best chance possible to work, on my first round of cellcpt, it did put things into remission for a while but did not stick, and now im in the second round of rituxen trying to stay off kidney failure, the use of steroids with these treatments sounds fairly normal to begin with and can be titrated up or down to make you more comfortable, but you will have watch for "roid rage" and the inability to stop eating as they can make you ravenouisly"sp" hungry, Unfortuantly with males that have sle it usually hits our kidneys very hard and I wish you the best of luck, and try and keep a good outlook as it does help, especially since with you it sounds like the caught it early

Terry