PDA

View Full Version : Puffy Morning Face

red246
04-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Can't remember if I've posted something about this b4 or not - if I have pls forgive me! For the past few months I've been waking up w/a VERY puffy face. I look as bad as I did when I had toxemia (high blood pressure) when I was pregnant w/my daughter. I asked my family doc about it today, had to go in for an eye bump. He said that he feels it has to do with the connective tissue disease.
Does anyone else have this problem? I don't think I've read anything about it anywhere. It goes away slowly over the morning. It is just really upsetting to look in the mirror every morning and see how horrible I look. :hissyfit:

mountaindreamer
04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
hi lauren,

sorry, i have not heard this discussed here either. Also, i don't deal with this, but i am sure it is upsetting to you. Hope someone can help you and i hope you can find some relief.

Saysusie
04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Are you taking Prednisone or any other corticosteroid? If so, this might be contributing to your puffy face in the morning.
However, you may want to mention this to your doctor ASAP as it might be indicative of kidney problems. Lupus kidney disease can cause water build up in the body, with swollen ankles, or puffy face and hands.
Do not let your doctor continue to dismiss this as just something that Lupus does. This could be a serious matter if not caught and treated. Call your doctor back and insist that he test your kidney function!
Please let us know how you are doing and what you and your doctor find out!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

red246
04-22-2009, 05:50 AM
Wow, Saysusie, I know I've read that before - I guess w/brainfog I completely forgot! No, I'm not on any meds. I guess I will call the rheumy. Thank you for reminding me about this! :yes:

lucky7
04-22-2009, 11:32 AM
WOW! I didnt know that either Saysusie! I too wake up puffy! Ive NEVER had this problem till my symptoms have gotten so much worse. This is GOOD information to know! I go to my GP on Friday and i Will mention this. It IS hard to look in the mirror for me too in the morn. Sometimes it doesnt even go down. Depends on my symptoms and the severity of them. Im sorry you are having to experience this too:no: I wish you well and talk to your dr TooXXXXXXXXXXX

red246
04-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, called my lovely rheumy (said VERY sarcastically!!!)! She doesn't think that it is related to anything - said that it is probably an allergy. She said that I could come in for a re-evaluation, but it probably wouldn't make any difference. She doesn't see any reason to re-do a urine test at this point since my last ones were okay - a month ago. I REALLY need to find a new doctor!

Jeanette - hope you get better answers than I did!

wrightrs
04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Saysussie, I retain so much fluid and my lab work always has protein. Like you said it always gets dismissed as something Lupus does!!! I do take a diuretic for it. But been trying for 2 year to get referral to kidney doc. They won't see me with out referral. I hope when I go to my doctors (soon) I can get something done this time.

Saysusie
04-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Wrightrs;
I hope that you get a referral also and, I hope that it is NOT your kidneys. However, I do not think that doctors should dismiss this so easily and they are prone to dismissing everything at first (until we get angry and insist that they run tests!).

Red246:
If your doctor insists that your puffy face is just Lupus related, what part of Lupus does she think is causing it? You need a definitive answer with treatment options. If she is not willing to do this for you, then yes, you probably need to find a new doctor.

Lucky7;
Please let us know what your doctor says at your appointment and if he/she prescribes anything!

I wish you all the very best!
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

lucky7
04-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Lauren, you DO need to find a NEW DR!!! Take care of YOU! Dont except BS answers! You know YOURSELF, they dont.:skeptical: Thank you Saysusie, i will let you know how my appt goes! :cute:

K.Grams
05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi..I actually got kidney disease before I was diagnosed with Lupus. I did wake up with puffy eyes in the beginning but it got worse as the weeks went on to where the puffyness wouldn't go away for hours after waking up and my legs were so swollen with water i couldn't move.If it does that and you are getting bad migraines and your eyes feel "full of water" then I would definately make an appointment and ask about your kidney involvement.

I have been in kidney remission since July of 2004 but occasionally atleast a few times every 2 weeks I wake up with puffy eyes/face but it does go away. I have asked my doctor about this but because nothing else seems to be swollen that it's "normal" and shouldn't be a problem...coming from a doctor who isn't going threw it and has to deal with looking in the mirror at a swollen version of your face it really isn't a problem.

Good luck I hope the puffyness goes away and that you find out if there is anything else causing it!

mountaindreamer
05-29-2009, 07:38 PM
hi k,

it is so frustrating....it seems that everything that attaches itself to lupus is borderline, and the drs. always want to "watch it closely". I have lost count of the different organs that drs. are "watching". Seems to be a part of our new normal.

red246
05-30-2009, 09:31 AM
I have noticed w/my lovely, puffy face that is not as bad when I sleep in more of an upright position. Whenever I manage to sleep all night in bed, even though I have 2 big pillows, I sleep more laying down. In the morning my face is pretty bad. When I either can't fall asleep or I wake up & go into the family room, I end up falling asleep in the recliner. On those mornings my face isn't as bad. Hmmmmmmm.........maybe if I just stood up and slept then my face wouldn't be swollen at all! :laugh-floor:

Monique89
05-30-2009, 09:03 PM
I feel for you...puffy faces are not fun, they make you feel gross....
I have a lot of puffiness in my face at the moment, but its from the prednisolone i hae been on for 2 months...thank goodness it should go away when i come off it.

Betty Boop
06-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I just shared with my PCP that my face is puffy and has been for over a month. He just shrugged it off. He thinks that something has caused an inflammation in my system and that will work its way out. He said for me to stop paying so close attention to my body and to relax. I realize that I am not in the same distress as I was when I originally saw him, but things are not right. It is incredibly hard to get them to pay attention. Between being puffy and constantly dealing with flares of severe redness and swelling, I am pretty frustrated. He keeps saying that he does not think this is lupus, but that I simply had a one-time lupus-like reaction.

mountaindreamer
06-09-2009, 09:15 PM
what the hell is a "one-time lupus reaction"?

lucky7
06-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Boy, im with you Phyllis!!! WHat the f*** is wrong with your dr!!! Seriously, OMG, arent we SUPPOSED to pay atttention to what our bodies are trying to tell us!:skeptical: Our bodies are doing these things for a reason and it varies from one person to the next so im thinking its time for a new dr, or, tell him like it is or else your going to get midevil on his buttocks!!! :spank:

alliekat
08-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi Lauren. I have mixed connective tissue disease, lupus being the most severe. I wake up EVERY morning with the "puffy morning face" It is the worst around my mouth. I get the puffiness at night too. I know how frustrating it is. I cry over it sometimes. Icing the area with ice packs on your face helps. xxx

Sarah2010
08-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey Lauren,
HOw is your thyroid function????I was waking up with puffiness and swollen areas around my eyes for a while..I went to the Rhumy and he said it was an allergy...HE WAS WRONG!!!! I saw my PCP and he did a thyroid test, and found out that mine was extremely under active!! The only way he even knew to test for it was from my swollen face.. I am so thankful that he didnt disreguard it as just another lupus thing and that the problem has been fixed, no more underactive thyroid and no more puffy face for me. You should check that out...just a suggestion.
-Sarah

red246
08-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Sarah,
Thyroid is fine. I'm glad that you got an answer for your puffy morning face! Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

debbie-b
08-09-2010, 04:30 AM
My swelling is always above my knees, no swollen ankles.
When I wake up in the morning, my thighs, belly, stomach, chest, arms, hands, neck face and eyes, are all swollen.
The swelling lasts most of the day, but goes down, in the evening.
I am weighing myself at night and in the morning, but in the morning, with all the swelling, I weigh 4-5 pounds more, than in the evening.
All my genius rheumy ever said, is " if it was the kidneys, your ankles would be swollen, but they are not, so it's not the kidneys".
My thighs and arms are so bad, that I have indentations, if I press down with my fingers.
It is very disturbing, because I know, something must be wrong, plus it is not very attractive.
Right now, my fingers look like sausages.

Debbie