PDA

View Full Version : Autoimmune Patient Strikes Back!

rob
04-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi Everyone, this is a bit long, but I think you'll like it-

I spent the day at the Neurologists office yesterday doing some more tests (evoked potentials), and I need to do another MRI later this week. I've been having some bad fog combined with some depression as well as numbness in my extremities. Sure signs of more CNS problems. I won't know exactly what's going on until after the MRI, but I have a fairly good idea, and I guess this isn't really unexpected to me. Most likely it's more CNS problems caused by MS, and I'll have to have another round of IV methylprednisolinone done. I have big plans for this summer, sailing, flying at the airshow, so I'm trying to take this in stride and realize that now is a good time to get another IV round out of the way, so I can do what I want this summer. It's still cold and rainy here, so if I have to sit around at the hospital for treatment, it's way better than doing it next month when it will be 70 degrees and sunny everyday.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. For all of you here who have been telling horror stories about bad Dr's and Rheumo's, this one is for you. At the end of my rather long visit to the Neurologist yesterday, I was sitting talking with my neuro in a common area divided by cubicles. If you listened, you could hear other conversations going on. Well, there's another neurologist there who I'm learning is not only unpopular with his patients, but not very well liked by other staff at the office, including my Neuro. I hear this guy talking down to his patient like she was some schoolgirl and he was the principal. He's telling her that it's a waste of time, and quite frankly stupid, to be going onto the internet to research potential health problems. Well, I think we all know that there are good websites with good, solid info, and there are bad ones you should steer clear of. We're smart enough to make that judgement for ourselves.

Well, this guy is still lecturing his patient when he says "You should only talk to your DOCTOR about your health problems, not a bunch of misinformed hypochondriacs on some website". Well, my neuro knows me fairly well, and he see's me gritting my teeth and turning red in the face. He stops talking, kind of smiles and shakes his head. He gestures towards the obnoxious neuro and says "Be my guest". He then runs back and grabs one of his assistants and a nurse is says "hey you guys, watch this". Let the bloodbath begin.

The lady leaves, and I approach the obnoxious neuro and ask him if he really believes people should not research their own illness. Here's the conversation-

Neuro- Only Dr's are qualified to research such things.

Me- Come on doc, it's not like people are incapable of comprehending this stuff as it applies to them?

Neuro- There is nothing but sad people with angry incorrect onfo on the net.

Me -Wow, what if I told you I am a Moderator at a website that gives out very accurate information, and helps people to learn about their disease so they can take back some control of their own health and treatment?

Neuro- You ARE NOT QUALIFIED T0 DO TH-

Me- Not Qualified!? Do you want to have an intellectual sparring match with me? Ok, lets play the IQ game, my IQ is (such and such), what's yours Doc?

Neuro -This is B.S. and I am done talking to you!

Me - Well doc, I'm not done talking to you, in fact, I'm just getting started. The information on the site I mod on all comes from verifiable sources and medical books, and is very accurate. I'm just a guy who works with others on the site, and we are doing our best to help people understand the facts of their disease, and possible treatment options. What's wrong with that?

The neuro turns around and starts to storm out of the office, but I couldn't resist a parting shot. I say, "You know doc, unlike you, I'm not pretending to be a neurologist!" I was a bit worked up at this point, and failed to recognize my tirade had attracted a small crowd. My neuro and others there start clapping. I couldn't believe it. So, I took a bow, and went home. I wish the patient he was talking down to could have stuck around to see it, as she was very upset and in tears when she left.

So, that's yesterdays adventure. I felt really good after all of it. A little bit of justice and vindication for all those who are mistreated by cold, ignorant Dr's.

Rob

NoodleMom
04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
:fam21: WAY TO GO ROB!!!! :071:

KATROACH1972
04-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Hoooooooooooooooooooooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful Rob! i need you at my Neuro thursday, they have always talked down to me, and made me feel stupid, and like a hypochondriac! I am so proud you took care of that arrogant @##$%%!!!! lol Have a great day! You made mine! Kathy

ssingh
04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
WOW!
I like that............

RedHairAngel
04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
WTG Rob sock it too them. --- Debbi

red246
04-21-2009, 12:14 PM
:thumbs-up: :071: :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Way to Go! Do you think you could come with me to my appts??????

wrightrs
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Good Job Rob, My hubby goes to the same PCP I do. My hubby told him he bought me a computer, and that I spent most of my time on twitter and a lupus sight. My doctor told him she needed to be careful about that. He said some things are good and some is misinformation, some people pray on sick people. Thought that he's right because on other sights. There's always someone trying to sell the next cure for lupus. But I'm glad I don't have to deal with that here.

lucky7
04-21-2009, 02:03 PM
GO ROB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You gave that "neuro" a GOOD and well deserved spanking!!!!!!!! :spankme: You made my day once again!!!!! Today was pretty tough for me too so it couldnt have come at a better time!!! THANK YOU MY FRIEND!!!!! :You_Rock_Emoticon: By the way, your summer plans sound GREAT, good for you Rob!!!

cptnblah
04-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Way to go Rob! My new urologist was not happy when I started talking the mumbo jumbo to him at my 1st appointment. I told him that I like to look up the issues that I have and what the docs tell me that I have and he just rolled his eyes and started talking in a different direction. I just laughed.

But you know what they say about docs..."They are practicing Medicine"!

lucky7
04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
LOL Cptnblah! Well put! This should be on every flagpole outside of those drs offices who "think" they're God!:bsflag:

Angel Oliver
04-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Way to go Rob!!!! Lets hope with the audience you had as well, makes this man realise...HE IS NOT GOD!!! How dare he!!!

Well done Rob for putting him in his place.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:yes:

mountaindreamer
04-21-2009, 07:23 PM
oh rob,

how wonderful....you got the opportunity to really give back some of the b.s. that the drs. have dished out to you for years.....and with a cheering crowd. I too wish the patient had been around to hear this.

when i told my rheumy about the forum, she was thrilled...she says it makes her job so much easier when patients educate themselves....

congrats, my friend, i bet you are still wearing that big smile.

hey, so sorry about the IV. What are the side effects? does it make you sick for awhile? i can't wait to hear about the sailing, and other summer adventures that you have planned.....

well, pat yourself on the back, grin really big, and have a great night's sleep.

Saysusie
04-21-2009, 08:13 PM
ROB..MY MAIN MAN!!!!!!:thumbs-up:
The best part of what you did is that EVERYONE heard it, applauded it and allowed you to put him in his place. I bet that the staff has been waiting a long time for someone like you to let him know that being a doctor does not make him GOD!
I am sorry that his patient was not there to hear that you took him down a few rungs and put him in his place. I especially liked your parting shot about pretending to be a neurologist!
I know that this relieved a bit of your stress and you are now our hero
WAY TO GO:banana:
I hope that your IV methopredilosone (did I spell that right??) gives you some relief and allows you to enjoy all of the wonderful plans that you've made for this summer.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Bonita
04-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Hi Everyone, this is a bit long, but I think you'll like it-

I spent the day at the Neurologists office yesterday doing some more tests (evoked potentials), and I need to do another MRI later this week. I've been having some bad fog combined with some depression as well as numbness in my extremities. Sure signs of more CNS problems. I won't know exactly what's going on until after the MRI, but I have a fairly good idea, and I guess this isn't really unexpected to me. Most likely it's more CNS problems caused by MS, and I'll have to have another round of IV methylprednisolinone done. I have big plans for this summer, sailing, flying at the airshow, so I'm trying to take this in stride and realize that now is a good time to get another IV round out of the way, so I can do what I want this summer. It's still cold and rainy here, so if I have to sit around at the hospital for treatment, it's way better than doing it next month when it will be 70 degrees and sunny everyday.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. For all of you here who have been telling horror stories about bad Dr's and Rheumo's, this one is for you. At the end of my rather long visit to the Neurologist yesterday, I was sitting talking with my neuro in a common area divided by cubicles. If you listened, you could hear other conversations going on. Well, there's another neurologist there who I'm learning is not only unpopular with his patients, but not very well liked by other staff at the office, including my Neuro. I hear this guy talking down to his patient like she was some schoolgirl and he was the principal. He's telling her that it's a waste of time, and quite frankly stupid, to be going onto the internet to research potential health problems. Well, I think we all know that there are good websites with good, solid info, and there are bad ones you should steer clear of. We're smart enough to make that judgement for ourselves.

Well, this guy is still lecturing his patient when he says "You should only talk to your DOCTOR about your health problems, not a bunch of misinformed hypochondriacs on some website". Well, my neuro knows me fairly well, and he see's me gritting my teeth and turning red in the face. He stops talking, kind of smiles and shakes his head. He gestures towards the obnoxious neuro and says "Be my guest". He then runs back and grabs one of his assistants and a nurse is says "hey you guys, watch this". Let the bloodbath begin.

The lady leaves, and I approach the obnoxious neuro and ask him if he really believes people should not research their own illness. Here's the conversation-

Neuro- Only Dr's are qualified to research such things.

Me- Come on doc, it's not like people are incapable of comprehending this stuff as it applies to them?

Neuro- There is nothing but sad people with angry incorrect onfo on the net.

Me -Wow, what if I told you I am a Moderator at a website that gives out very accurate information, and helps people to learn about their disease so they can take back some control of their own health and treatment?

Neuro- You ARE NOT QUALIFIED T0 DO TH-

Me- Not Qualified!? Do you want to have an intellectual sparring match with me? Ok, lets play the IQ game, my IQ is (such and such), what's yours Doc?

Neuro -This is B.S. and I am done talking to you!

Me - Well doc, I'm not done talking to you, in fact, I'm just getting started. The information on the site I mod on all comes from verifiable sources and medical books, and is very accurate. I'm just a guy who works with others on the site, and we are doing our best to help people understand the facts of their disease, and possible treatment options. What's wrong with that?

The neuro turns around and starts to storm out of the office, but I couldn't resist a parting shot. I say, "You know doc, unlike you, I'm not pretending to be a neurologist!" I was a bit worked up at this point, and failed to recognize my tirade had attracted a small crowd. My neuro and others there start clapping. I couldn't believe it. So, I took a bow, and went home. I wish the patient he was talking down to could have stuck around to see it, as she was very upset and in tears when she left.

So, that's yesterdays adventure. I felt really good after all of it. A little bit of justice and vindication for all those who are mistreated by cold, ignorant Dr's.

RobThat was awesome and well deserved on the guy Bonita

gina
04-23-2009, 06:16 AM
You go Rob its about time someone puts and arogant doctor in his place.

we need more people like you on our side.:laugh:

Rastagirl
04-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Wow...I go away for a few days, Rob, and you sneak off to the doctor's office and have some fun.

What an awesome story...you had me on the edge of my seat...cheering you on. Sure wish I could have witnessed that first hand. I would have been in the cheerleader section sayin'....GO ROB, GO ROB, GO ROB.....Rob, Rob, he's our man...

Or, I would have been running out to catch that patient of his, so she could watch too.
This is you and that doctor going at it >>>>>> :vader: the doc's the evil one!

Thanks for representing ALL of us in that office.

I'll be sending you postive vibes as you go through this round of IV Methpred...hopefully this will give you plenty of good days to enjoy every single fun thing you have planned for your summer. Can't remember, do you have to do it as an inpatient, or just spend a few hours in the hospital? Whatever the case, I'll be with you in thought and prayers.

Proud to call you friend....I am.

Lori :cool2:

Pearl
04-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Way to go Rob. Some docs never learn bedside manners...or that they aren't the only intelligent beings on the planet. Thanks for being Superman for the day. We can all relate, and we all appreciate it!

frekkuls
04-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Rob you rock!! You should go on tour!! That will stay with me and remind me to be assertive and stand up for myself!! Hopefully it inspires everyone who reads it!!! Thank You.

rob
04-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Way to go Rob. Some docs never learn bedside manners...or that they aren't the only intelligent beings on the planet. Thanks for being Superman for the day. We can all relate, and we all appreciate it!

Actually, the way my temper was the other day, I'm probably more like The Terminator than Superman! Or maybe Don Corleone-Hey doc, I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse, and if you do, doc will be sleeping with the fishes tonight!

Seriously, I don't like to make a spectacle. I've always been poker face-diplomatic. I try to keep my cool and let the other person make a horses you know what out of themselves. But this guy just set me off. Two things I cannot stand, arrogance, and a condecending (sp?) attitude. Back in my working days, I was considered by others to be one of the more experienced people in my line of work, but I never wanted to start thinking of myself too highly because once a person takes the attitude that they are "the best", they are no longer open to new ideas and new learning experiences. Once that happens, you become stagnant. Your personal skills and knowledge become locked at a certain point and you never progress any further. I think alot of these Dr's have this problem. Anyway, this guy had it coming.

Lori, thankfully the low-dose short term IV methylpred treatments are outpatient. And, since I've done two already, I know pretty much what to expect. I'm getting a prescription for a sedative beforehand as the last two times I had not only insomnia, but terrible disjointed nighmarish dreams. Weird stuff. It also killed my already small appetite, but it's no biggie. Anyway, I'm glad everyone enjoyed my bad neuro story.

Rob

froggal
04-24-2009, 01:56 AM
I think that you could start a new business . . . You could accompany people to their doctors appointments and make sure they are treated properly and not talked down too! What would we call you? We would have to come up with a cool name, and somehow incorporate handcuffs! That was really an awesome thing you did Rob. I hope that it made the doc think about his actions. Three cheers for Rob!!! :071: