PDA

View Full Version : Blood Work: Interfering Substance

KHoguetuc
04-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I took my two friends who are also my Medical POTs to my appointment with the Rheumatoid doc. They were very disappointed with her. They believe she is giving me the run around. I agree. Apparently my tests done four months ago came up with something called an interfering substance so that the lupus panel could not be checked. That was four months ago and she waits until this appointment to mention it all the while I was still suffering symptoms. She thought the substance might be cholesterol or triglycerides. Since I had not eaten I was able to take another blood test that day. This was last Tuesday. They just called today to tell me they still could not read it. But it was not the cholesterol or triglycerides. They also said I still have a kidney infection. Now what? What could the interfering substance be?

mountaindreamer
04-21-2009, 07:23 AM
this is a puzzle....i have not heard anyone mention such a thing as "interfering substance". hopefully someone will be along who can help with this....makes me wonder about the lab that your dr. uses. It is common for different labs to get different results....maybe your dr. could send your blood off to another lab specializing in auto immune diseases...this is what my rheumy does. She sends my tests to a lab in california.

KHoguetuc
04-22-2009, 12:25 AM
I looked up "lupus panel interfering substances" and got this: http://www.infertilityphysician.com/evaltreat/immune.html
This is by a doctor who specializes in immune problems and pregnancy loss.

Many years ago, it was recognized that women with Systemic Lupus frequently aborted pregnancies in the first trimester. It was discovered that these women had, in their blood, a substance that affected the tests that I use to measure the ability of the blood to clot. This substance prolonged certain coagulation tests. Women who had the substance in the blood stream, when tested, behaved as if they were taking an anti-coagulant such as Heparin. This substance, but because it was found initially in women who had Lupus, was named "the Lupus Anti-Coagulant".

Women who have these types of autoimmune problems show different patterns of pregnancy wastage. Very commonly, these women have repetitive first trimester spontaneous abortions. The woman becomes pregnant but the pregnancy is lost by the time she gets to be 6 or 8 weeks pregnant. However, in other women, the pregnancy will survive but because of impaired blood flow to the placenta, the baby will not develop properly. The baby is not getting proper nourishment; this is termed "intrauterine growth retardation". In other situations, the baby may die in the uterus later in pregnancy. However, we now recognize that these are all parts of the same underlying problem.

My first child was a high risk pregnancy due to labor needing to be stopped twice. My second child was born when I was 19. He had this "growth retardation" during the last six weeks of the pregnancy. He is the 21 year old with MR and Marfan Syndrome. I had a miscarriage after that at about six weeks and another one at about 4 months. I had my last child Kat after many times of premature labor. She was still a month early. I truly do believe that if I had not moved away from Cleveland, she never would have been born.

I need a new doctor!

mountaindreamer
04-22-2009, 04:49 AM
thanks for the information....i have seen where a few members here are taking heparin, and i have wondered why. I take a heparin, but it is to prepare me for a heart procedure, then i will come off.

i also had one premature baby, and one miscarriage, but each happened prior to me being diagnosed....don't know if they are related.

thanks for all of you hard work....yes i agree, you need a new dr. good luck in your search, remember you are your best advocate....you know what is going on with your body, and there are drs. out there who understand our plight and will join our team.

wrightrs
04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't take heparin but had a blood clot. Doctors didn't want to put me own more meds. But may put my on it sometime. My ovaries shut down at a very early age because of lupus and couldn't have children