PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette smoking and Lupus

tdeyne
05-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Does anyone here smoke cigarettes? I am a smoker. Not a heavy one though. I go through at MOST two packs a week, usually it's less. I am trying desperately to quit. My lupus doctor told me that there is no proof that cigarette smoking affects lupus. I find this very hard to believe. Does anyone here know anything about how lupus is affected my cigarette smoke? PLLLLEASE let me know.

Morpheus
05-30-2005, 02:19 AM
Hi there, I too was diagnosed with lupus at such a tender age, and yes i too was smoking at the time, infact 10 years after i was diagnosed i was still smoking. However, i did find a way to stop, and believe me, the results were heavenly and immediately. Magically nearly half of my daily lupus effects either got less intense or just dissappeared, like irritabilty, tiredness, short of breath,sleeplessness etc. I'm much more healthier now than what i have ever been.

I'ts been approxiamately a year that i've quit now.

So if u really serious about letting the cigs go, then i suggest you try "Allen Carrs Easy way to stop smoking" Believe me it worked, After smoking 3 packs a day for nearly five years, i Managed to quit in one week. Hope it works for u!!

P.S Let me know if you need any further help. and be strong

Bye Bye

silverlioness
05-30-2005, 10:16 PM
I smoked for 10 years (a pack and a half a day). I quit 2 years ago. I haven't noticed any affect on my symptoms.

theotherbane
06-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi,
I smoke still, 5 cigs per day, I haven't noticed any difference of when I am smoking or when I quit. I have quit several times in the past 10 years, like 6 months at a time, no changes noticed. HOWEVER, like any other disease, I am sure smoking does not help it one bit, and if you are prone to lung infections, sinus infections, pneumonia, etc - you might want to consider quitting the cigarettes. Can't quit unless you really want to and I hate people to harp on me to quit - so no harping here. Good Luck to you though! Can I ask you a personal question.....how in the world do you get medical insurance with lupus and smoke? I have been turned down repeatedly for life insurance and health insurance is impossible except I am now on spouse's work group insurance. Take care! Deb

Morpheus
06-02-2005, 12:01 AM
It is strange that no-one experienced alleviation of their symptoms, seeing that the very nature of smoking has ill benefits regarding your health. Even the effects of quitting smoking should enhance anyone's standard of living.

peace and blessings

tdeyne
06-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Hi it's me again, the one that started this whole topic. Thanks for the info guys....As for Morpheus, I haven't had a cigarette in 4 days and i've noticed a HUGE difference in my symptoms! It's unreal! I've also read in several different places that cigarette smoking affects the efficiency of plaquenil and i'm on plaquenil..so basically by me smoking this whole time the plaquenil has not been able to work to it's full potential...interesting huh? I honestly think that lupus is very unique in that it varies from person to person so that would explain why some of us don't notice a difference when we smoke and some of us do. As for Theotherbane, to answer your question, I work fulltime and my employer offers me excellent medical insurance and life insurance. By law if your employer offers medical insurance they can't discriminate against you if you have an illness... I'm not sure what your situation is, if you work fulltime or not but if you do, you should be able to have medical through your job, lupus or not. I do also agree that Lupus or no lupus cigarette smoking is bad for us all...its soooooo hard to quit and to stay quit though!!!

theotherbane
06-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Congratulations! Quitting is the hardest thing in the world! I'm even giving it another try....it certainly can't hurt a thing! Good Luck to you and take care :) Deb

madthumbs
06-03-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm researching natural cures for lupus, and one thing they seem to have in common is avoidance of certain foods, and recommendations of others. I've just watched a video about vitamin b-17 and cancer. I've also seen one on how AIDS is a result of unhealthy lifestyles and isn't related to HIV. Anyway, what seems apparent to me is that our lupus symptoms may be a result of bad reactions to foods we eat.

Canola oil consumption is on the rise, and so is lupus! Peanut butters are having thier natural peanut oil removed and replaced with canola. It's also being found in candy and all sorts of other things. Anyone can easily research canola and find that it's developed from rapeseed which is very toxic. Soybean oil is supposed to be bad as well, but not to near the degree.

I saw tobacco on a list of "nightshade" plants along with tomatos, and eggplant that should be avoided.

Could the cure be in what we consume or not consume?

tdeyne
06-04-2005, 05:54 AM
Theotherbane-

Thanks for the encouragement! I don't want to get my hopes up too high and then break so I'm trying not to get too happy about it...That's not very positive thinking I guess..I don't know why I do that..Aaaaanyway...Good for you though! Good luck with your quitting..I know it's hard, but we can do anything we set our minds to...Madthumbs that's interesting about the food allergies..I really do believe sometimes that the cure can very well be in what we injest. Thanks again for the info guys, please keep me updated on anything new findings, opinions, or just anything..i'm a sponge I absorb it all!! LOL! :)

theotherbane
06-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Tdeyne, I know what's it's like to get all hyped up about doing a great thing like quitting and then failing and falling; but if you look at it like it's a practice, like if at first you don't succeed, try and try again - it's not too bad on the ego any way. Tobacco is a night shade plant? I thought that only applied if you ate night shades, like tomatoes, and I read where nightshades were actually not beneficial to persons with arthritis, that it aggravates arthritis - but tomatoes have so many other good qualities, like everything I guess, you have to weigh what is good for you and bad for you. Even with RA I choose to eat tomatoes...ALOT, and peppers, and onions, etc. What's alittle arthritis pain compared to cancer and hyperlipidemia? Anyway, good health to all -
Deb

pandinita
08-25-2005, 09:37 AM
madthumbs. May I ask where you find info about the foods we should avoid. I know sugar and white flour are bad for everyone. What kind of oil do you use? Unfortunately I am a sweetaholic. Can't eat just one. New to this site and message board. Very good info here. Thanks to everyone for being here and sharing. Nita
I'm researching natural cures for lupus, and one thing they seem to have in common is avoidance of certain foods, and recommendations of others. I've just watched a video about vitamin b-17 and cancer. I've also seen one on how AIDS is a result of unhealthy lifestyles and isn't related to HIV. Anyway, what seems apparent to me is that our lupus symptoms may be a result of bad reactions to foods we eat.

Canola oil consumption is on the rise, and so is lupus! Peanut butters are having thier natural peanut oil removed and replaced with canola. It's also being found in candy and all sorts of other things. Anyone can easily research canola and find that it's developed from rapeseed which is very toxic. Soybean oil is supposed to be bad as well, but not to near the degree.

I saw tobacco on a list of "nightshade" plants along with tomatos, and eggplant that should be avoided.

Could the cure be in what we consume or not consume? :?: :?: :?:

Ouisch
08-25-2005, 02:33 PM
I didn't smoke for that long, maybe three years, and then I quit. However, I did notice that if I was in the midst of a flare, whenever I lit up, I'd get hit with a supreme wave of dizziness, almost to the point of passing out. My doctor said it was my vasculitis - the blood vessels were already inflamed, and cigarette smoke constricts them further.

Anyway, I quit for good on December 5, 1996. To those who still smoke, I understand how hard it is to quit. But smokes are sooo expensive these days, maybe that can be an extra incentive for you...? Each week, set aside whatever money you would've used to buy cigarettes, and put it in an envelope, or bank account, or whatever, and promise to buy yourself something frivolous that you always wanted after six months? Just an idea. Best of luck to all of you!

Mitch
08-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Hi tdeyne, I smoked about 1/2 pack a day for many years. I had been beating myself up over the fact that I was having such a hard time quitting. Then 3 years ago in July I had a TIA. I quit as of that day (out of fear!). Honestly, the main benefits I've noticed personally are less headaches. Maybe a LITTLE less tired, but I'm still short of breath (in fact I think moreso now.) It's been 3 years. I'm SO glad I quit because I know it was necessary, I just wish I had had the opportunity to make my last cigarette EXTREMELY enjoyable and savor every moment!

The only thing I've read about smoking and lupus - Dr. Wallace's advice is: (I'm quoting from a short article) "Don't smoke - smoking makes lupus disease activity worse -not surprising, considering all the chemicals found in cigarette smoke that have a negative effect on cell health."

I feel for you!

Mitch