PDA

View Full Version : Hair root pain?

cheryl_v
04-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Does anyone have painful hair roots? On top of my head and near the crown, the roots of my hair hurt without even touching. If I actually touch or try to brush, the pain gets worse. Painful enough to make my eyes water. Does anyone have this issue? If so, how do you get releif? Is their any? Its been going on for a month now.

I've had hair thinning and falling out before, but no pain when it happens. I've had the hair roots ache, but figured probably due to hair falling out at times.

That's the other thing, before I've had hair fall out more as in thinning badly. Now I've started noticing bare areas, but not exactly bald patches. I've also noticed a few times when I washed my face, I've had eyebrow hairs, 1 or 2, in my hands. Even an eyelash now and then. That has never happened before. I have noticed my eyebrows do appear to be a little thinner. I've never needed to pluck, always blessed with nice arch that was reasonable and not thick. Now I can see a little skin in the eyebrow arch. What is going on? My hairs gotten bad enough I have to brush over and lightly pull back to cover the new bare areas. I could deal with the hair loss, but it hurts to brush or put my cloth headband on. So I can't really do anything at the moment. I even been taking otc med for pain, but doesn't help at all on the root pain.

I'm at my wits end, just looking for some relief. I've made jokes of hurting from "head to toe", but never ment it literally. My feet are a pain all the time too, but thats the other thread(lol). Does anyone know what can be causing this?

Angel Oliver
04-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi Cheryl,

Im sorry to read you have to be going through this. Im wondering if you have changed hair products or hair dyes in the last few months? A new hair brush? If not, this could be down to medication and i would let your Doctor know anyway.He can help you. With many of the meds you take, it is normal for hair to start thinning.But it doesnt mean your hair will fall out. Also, as you get older its very normal for hair,eyebrows,lashes to fall out natrually. They will and do grow back. If you tie your hair up, say in a pony tail, when you take your hair down, you will notice more hair than normal falling out.Aspecially then if you wash it.This is because, if your hair was down, the wind would blow away any hair that natrually falls out and you never notice.But when tied up, you are stopping that process and its a big worry when washing your hair to find what looks like clumps falling when really, its normal. You are supposed to loose 150 hairs a day. When my hair was long, i lost about 450 hairs a day :) I have extremely thick hair and curly yak!
I know its not easy to go through, so let your doctor know and he will help you with solutions that can go on your scalp, like a medicated shampoo and stuff.
Hope this helps a little.
love
Angel.xxxxxx

cheryl_v
04-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks Angel, always so quick to respond.

Ok I didn't think to lay it out, so here goes. No meds, except otc for pain and sleep(but I keep that to a bare minimum). Same hair products and only dye my hair every 4-6 months (always same brand and shade). Same brushes, hardly use a comb. I bought some selsum blue for the seborreah rash, its gone so only use it 2x a week. Never had root pain with it. I've noticed thinning at the crown a year ago, no biggie. Now though its thinning fast and leaving bare spots down the back a little and a few on top. I wear low ponytails, loose. I only wash my hair every other day now. I've done all doc had mentioned for scalp issue and hair thinning, but it getting worse fast. Thinning hair runs in the family, but mum says slow and around 40, no pain. I'm 35, so a little concerned. I can handle the hair loss, but this constant pain is wearing me down.

Thanks for letting me know on the eyebrows and lashes, relieved to know that. I guess it was bad timing on it to start, made the hair loss look worse. At least one worry from my mind. Thanks again for always being quick to help, I appreciate it so.

wrightrs
04-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I have a lot of hair loss at times. A certain amount is normal. Could be meds, hormones, and certain illnesses. (Lupus) Stress.

cheryl_v
04-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks wrightrs, their does seem to be so many causes I may never know what it's from.

I just want some relief, is their anything that can stop the pain? I'm really not too concern about the cause (but thankful for the inputs). I'm really just trying to find relief. Something I can do or take to make it stop hurting so much.

I can handle pain well, blessed with a high tolerance. This is different and new, so I have no tolerance for it. It just hurts everyday, so sensitive to the touch. Ashamed to say I haven't brushed or washed my hair in 3 days. Just a low ponytail, pulled back loosely. Tonight I need to wash it and brush it, not looking forward to it. Hoping someone has something they've done to help relieve or cut down on the pain.

Thanks for the help, you guys are sweet and thoughtful as always.

Angel Oliver
04-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Dont worry about not washing your hair.You are keeping in the natrual oils so its a good thing.Now the brushing.Your avoiding see the hair on the brush.You know you loose hair natrually anyway,so there will be that hair of each day your not brushing your hair.So dont panic as it'll seem like allot of hair is on the brush...its just the collection of the normal hair you should loose....but your not brushing so its all just waiting to come out.
I had a look on google.Go and look.People are talking about root pain hair. Ok i got the words back tofront there lol. Some are going on about sulphur and nerves...go and look It'll put your mind at ease.

love
Angel.xxxx

wrightrs
04-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Have you tried Tylenol or anti inflammatories!!!!

mountaindreamer
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
hi cheryl,

do you have a dermatologist? maybe you could get in on an emergency basis.....if the pain is too bad, then go to the hospital and let them figure it out.

You say you are not on meds other than otc pain, but you could be taking something with ibuproferin in it, and you may be allergic to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. I am, i break out into a major itching rash all over my body...i avoid even otc meds with anti-inflammatory in them.

The good news that i can offer, if your hair has been thinning faster than before, it could be caused by a flare....in this case, it should grow back....

cheryl_v
04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks all.

I am still taking the same otc meds as always. I have allergies, so used to the do's and don'ts and what to look for. (but thanks for the input, some don't know that)

Truthfully I'm not worried about the hair loss and the amount. Used to bother me, but I got over it. Its the pain I'm scared of. The brushing is more painful than the washing, its why I so do not want to brush my hair. When I wash it, I definetly have to brush it of course. Its becoming such a dread. It seems to hurt a little more each day. I must admit, I chickened out again and didn't wash or brush my hair tonight either. Tomorrow I have to, a family reunion on saturday.

You know, may be my imagination, but I could swear my hair roots had a pink tint to it (wierd, but looks like it). My scalp is really white, so no seborreah acting up again. Its just strange and painful. I want to hold out for doc appointment, but its 4wks away. I just want pain relief so bad and unsure if they can give me any. Most the time I come from docs all disappointed as usual. I feel like I need to dunk the top and crown of my head in cold water, its almost to a burning pain now. Wonder if I would hear a sound like you do when the hot pan hits the cool water, lol.

Seriously, any ideas how to soothe the pain? I thought to rub some cream, but running my fingers in my hair hurts too. I just don't know what to do. Even hubby looks at me like I'm crazy, hair roots hurting like that?

I did look it up, thanks Angel. Never thought something like that would have web results. Still browsing, but here you guys have the best answers. Sometimes faster than I can find. Thanks again all for helping, I pray relief comes soon. May relief for your pains come soon for being so kind and helpful.

wrightrs
04-17-2009, 12:08 AM
So sorry your still having this problem. Hope you find relief soon!!!

Angel Oliver
04-17-2009, 01:56 AM
I am glad you looked it up.Many people have this and like MD said,let your Doctor know and see a Dermatologist, there is help.

Just to make you feel better.My hair did fall out.As scary as it is, it does usually grow back.THis may not even be happening to you, but i do understand your deep concern.

A few months ago i was blow drying my horrid curly hair straight.As i did my fringe,the front a clump of fringe did fall out in my hand> My heart dropped. In the last few days ive noticed allot of thinning. In my heart im preparing myself. But if mine goes its gonna be all at the front, like an old man bald at the front with just side burns :) But see how im thinking.BUT this may not even happen.Its quite normal to think the worst.But i know from experience, if it happens i spend less time on my hair.But stressing about it can make it worse....stress doesnt help.And not just that.I think we all have enough to worry about.Yes, it freaks you out....But it wont be as bad as you think and like me....you always think the worst.

I did see plenty of people with scalp and root pain.For some reason it wont let me copy and paste.These people got help....Hair did NOT fall out.

Wish i could reassure you more.....but i know....once hair pain/scalp.....no matter what people say to you YoU DONT believe them and convince yourself...Im going bald like me. Thinning is normal. Sending you a big fat hug.

love
Angel/xxx

cheryl_v
04-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks wrightrs, I so love those smileys. It made my morning.

Thanks for the big hug Angel. I have my headbands ready for incase to much hair does come out. Its some wide ones I bought, scrunnched on the side and extend open on top. Actually covers the top and crown of head, love them.You only see a little on the side and the back. They help me feel better. Besides I'm honest to others, I tell them why when asked why wearing such huge hairbands. They are more surprised by honesty than actually why. Turns out they were just curious why I would hide my hair, instead of styling it up or something. You should find you some, I love them. I've had mine before hair started falling out. Good for cleaning and my bad hair days. I pick up new stylish ones now and then, since I seem to need them more. I'm not a vain person, so hair was not a huge issue with me.

I do wonder, is it common for this to happen with fibro? Is hair thinning and root pain common with fibro? Or could it be something else. Curious, like to be prepared. It makes what life has to throw at you more tolerable.

Thanks you two, such great fast support. You too mountaindreamer. By the way, should I mention to docs for a dermatologist? I really don't want more docs, but pain overrides all decisions.

Oluwa
04-17-2009, 06:33 AM
CV...

Try forgoing the low loose ponytail...loose or tight it still causes tension on the follicles...

Oh, I just remembered I saw something briefly on TV the other day on Doctors, they were discussing Trichodynia...let me google it...

I am not sure the spelling is correct as it only comes up with a few hits when I google but it sounded like that....

I found this, Cheryl...

A theory behind the condition is that nerves innervating scalp hair follicles send pain messages back to the brain when the follicle no longer has a hair in it, in a similar way to phantom limb pain. Another theory is that people who have this condition (sometimes called “ponytail syndrome”) have super-sensitive nerves in their scalp.

Though the hair loss doesn't bother you much, CV..it could be something underlining.,,check this quick link...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/DS00278/DSECTION=causes

Hugs..loves...
Oh.

debbie-b
04-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Cheryl,

I have the same problem, my hair hurts too. I could not figure out why, but then a light went off in my head ( doesn't happen very often anymore), i do have painful skin over half of my body, it feels like tissue pain. I assume it is the same kind of pain on top of my head as well.
Do you also suffer from painful skin anywhere else on your body?

Debbie

cheryl_v
04-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks Oh for the site, I read some of it before I posted now. I will call doc and mention it, just to see what she says. I could understand crown hair root pain, even a low and loose ponytail can cause it sometimes. The very top I don't understand, my ponytail doesn't pull the top hairs. Some of my hair from the top doesn't even reach the ponytail. I'm going to that site again to see if theirs at home care for pain relief when done here. My hairs down I promise, been down since yesterday.

Hi debbie-b, thats a thought. The first few weeks of root pain, no. But this past week, yes. I have numb/burn feel from time to time, doc said thats what fibro can do at times to the skin. It does hurt, but eventually just stops. This past week my lower right arm started having the pain. Then yesterday my lower jaw skin on both sides and a little bit of the right cheeck. Never even thought of scalp as skin, so it may have the same issues from time to time. Duh me, lol.

Unfortunately now I'm light-headed and a bit queezy too. Just what I need. Family reunion tomorrow I'm so looking forward too. My family only does it once every 5-10yrs. So many I haven't seen, and I am going to go. Sick and pain or not.

Thanks all for being here and so helpful. Bless you all.

Angel Oliver
04-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh Cheryl,

Just what you need.You enjoy the family reunion, sounds fab.Enjoy!!!!!

love
Amanda.xxx

cheryl_v
04-17-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm trying. We all have to bring a dish. I love to cook, so bringing 3. I'm bringing skins-in potato salad, veggie soup(with kidney beans and potatoes, slow cooked 12hrs), and 2 ooey-gooey brownie cakes (I sprinkle a whole bag of milk-chocolate chips on bottom of pan before pouring in cake mix). Cooking relieves stress for me, so went into the kitchen to relax with the work.

Tummy feels a bit better, but hair pain has traveled a bit more to the front. More fun, but I'm doing my best to put it on the back burner. I'll deal with it later. Forgot to call docs, to late now. Maybe next week if still no better.

Hope your days going well for you, thanks again.

cheryl_v
04-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Just noticed the pink patches are back. Must of been what was making my hair roots appear pink. I guess the skin around the root was pink, but not enough to actually see on the scalp just yet. The seborreah has never caused pain before, granted this will only be my second time having it. Wrote it down in my pain journal for doc. Off to soak my head in some selsum blue, maybe it'll bring relief.

Just got over it in early february, is it possible to happen again so soon? Is it normal for it to cause pain, if so every time? Just looking for answers. Looked on line, but those two subjects really didn't have much info.

mountaindreamer
04-18-2009, 12:15 PM
hi cheryl,

you are probably off to your family reunion....i hope you are having a blast.

I have fibromyalgia along with SLE, and i am not aware of hair pain. There are six trigger points along the back of the head, and when they are flared, the whole head hurts, but i don't recall just the root of the hair.

have you started any new meds that you might be having an allergic reaction to?

glad you are having this time with your family, and the food sounds yummy,

cheryl_v
04-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks, had a great time. Like most reunions where you bring a homemade dish, some yummy and some yuck. Had a great time though. Even learned a few things about medical history for pain journal for doc.

Brought 3 teenage nieces home with me and let my 9yr old stay with my oldest bubby. We will swap everyone tomorrow around 6pm. Its been fun.

Off to bed, only slept a couple hours last night. Its really late again, so hope to get some sleep tonight.

wrightrs
04-18-2009, 11:16 PM
I was wondering. How you were, and if you are finding any relief. Hope your are having a nice weekend.

cheryl_v
04-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks Becky, your sweet. Weekends going good. Nieces' just went home, 3 teenage girls. A joy though, hope they get to come more often.

Hair root pain is a little eased, a long soak with selsum blue again helped. I hope it starts retreaing. Pains not as bad now that the pink spots are back, funny. Maybe it was an early symptom of the seborreah coming back, a long lasting symptom.

How was your weekend? Hope it went well for you too.

Angel Oliver
04-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Cheryl,glad to read its eased a little for you.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

wrightrs
04-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Glad things are better hope you continue to improve!!!

cheryl_v
04-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks you two. I hope its going away too. A little relief is better than none, so I'll take it.