PDA

View Full Version : Pedicure-Possible Flare?

Pretti in Pink
04-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Hello Family,

This question is for all the pedicure partakers. The place where I get my pedicure uses some type of sea salt and hot rocks. Several months ago I noticed that when they do the massage and use the hot rocks and sea salt, I seem to ache later that evening and a couple of days later, so I asked them not to do use the hot rocks (although I love the way they feel) and forgo the massage of the legs. That seem to help, now I can't remember if they kept using the sea salt but they did today and did a pretty intense massage on my feet and now I am feeling achey. Has anyone else experienced this and is there some type of coorelation?

Angel Oliver
04-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Oh you know im not really sure. I know its normal to ache after though. Once i went to have massge thing done on my feet. From the massage, very deep, supposed to relax you, i swear...i walked away bandy like Whoopi Goldberg :)
She gave me a list of herbal medications i need. This massage thing i had has a name, but i carnt remember what its called. When they touch certain areas of your feet, they can tell if you liver is working right, kidneys, stomach etc. I hurt and ached so much after.They are actually releasing the tension you build up, which you dont even notice in every day life, you feet feel normal. I suppose the ache is good.....they've done a good job. But for me....i never had it again, cause my feet cramped allot, hence the bandy walk afterwards...not a sexy look.
Hang in there...i know ive waffled a bit....about me me me again....but someone will have a better answer for you soon.

love
Angel.xxxx

Pretti in Pink
04-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Thansk Angel, it is a relief to see it is not just in my head but it can be a possible side effect of what we go for relaxation.

wrightrs
04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
When you have lupus. Ask them to me gentle when you Get your massage. Also they need to be very careful they when they work on your cuticles and scrub your feet (hands too!!!) :yes: The rocks should be just warm and used gently.:yes: I also make sure your going to a reputable place and avoid the discount places!!!:yes: Make sure they use proper sanitation procedures!!!:thumbs-up: I do mani's and pedi's. But not working know!!!!

lucky7
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah Wrightrs, I thought the same thing about being sanitary enough. They have done studies on those places and alot of them reuse things the arent supposed. That would put bacteria and/or infections from othr people into your system, and as we alll know, thats no good for our already weak immune system to try and fight off!:samurai:

Pretti in Pink
04-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Thank you all for your responses and this place is on the higher end scale and "appear" to be very sanitary. It's just the body aches that is a mystery to me.

Rastagirl
04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi Pretti...

I always pay a few dollars more and choose the high end ones too. And I watch 'em close when they're sanitizing the utensils and stuff. If anything looks questionable, I find another salon.

Just wanted to let you know, I've had the same issues with a strong leg and foot massage. I've come away having the achey feeling for a few days following. I've noticed that some of the girls really want to beat on your legs and dig their fingers into muscles, I guess because most people have lots of extra layers of muscle (or fat) and very thick skin. I don't. So I've learned to always tell them, as soon as they get started, that I'm sensitive, and to take it easy. No rough stuff.

I also love the hot rocks (haven't had the sea salt), but noticed when I was having a full body massage in Jamaica and they used them on my lower back, I ached in that area for the next day or so. Not sure if it was caused by them, but I've decided to forego anymore hot rocks on my body. I understand how you feel...I like 'em too.

I've definitely learned over the years, that my body can have an immune response to all kinds of things...so I pay attention to what causes me to feel achey, like my immune system has been activated, and note those things, so I can avoid them. Sometimes it's those little things we do that can irritate our bodies and trigger the Lupus.

I'm just thankful nail polish hasn't caused me to flare yet, cuz I'd be miserable if I couldn't have my nails pretty once in awhile.

Oh, and just thought I'd mention, everytime I see your name....Pretti in Pink...makes me think of cute little pink toenails peeking out of sexy sandals.

Hugs to ya,

Lori :cool2:

wrightrs
04-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Wish I could give you all a nice Mani & Pedi!!!! :laugh: Too help you feel better!!!:yes: I want to start doing them for shut -ins some time!!! :laugh: Working on that now!!! If I well enough. Had my Cosmetology license over twenty years!!! :yes:

Pretti in Pink
04-15-2009, 06:20 PM
You got it right Rastagirl, I love me pretti little pink toes (and most time they are pink or coral-my two favorites) to hang out of a pretti pair of shoes. I am a shoes and handbags girls!

Again, I too love those hot rocks just wish the feeling was mutual. The little girl did do alot of massaging on my feet before I eventually had to tell her, "thank you, that is good" and then she smiled and stopped. So, I guess like you said some can take it and some can not, I might just go for polish changes and do the rest at home. I am going to do another elimination test on my next go round and see what happens.

Rastagirl
04-15-2009, 06:31 PM
I just knew 'Pink' toes was you, Pretti! Oh, would we have fun shopping together...shoes and handbags...is there anything better in life? Well, of course, we'd have to include sex and chocolate on that list. :)

Hey, when you have a pedicure, have you ever had that 'misty' stuff they spray on your legs....that feels so cool and refreshing...and smells heavenly?

I love it! I always want to ask them, "Can you spritz me just once more, please?" But I think it's pretty expensive stuff...at least I've noticed it's only at the very high end salons.

They put a new Dola Nails shop in my neighborhood and they have what's called a 'Champagne Pedicure'...you can actually sit there and be treated like you're somebody special, served champagne in a fluted crystal glass. And they have these lovely, bird bath looking pedestals between each Pedicure seat, and they're filled with water with floating candles in them. They smell sooooo good!

I haven't tried this yet, but one of these Friday evenings, I'm going to have my husband drop me off and pick me up....no driving on the champage for me, that's for sure.

Maybe I'll save that for my Birthday in June.

Lori :heart:

wrightrs
04-15-2009, 07:31 PM
The sprays are antiseptics, they help kill germs, but have other things to help skin and make it non-drying. Very soothing too!!! Very expensive !!! Years ago we used rubbing alcohol and Seabrease inexpensive but very drying!!!

I can't do my own feet can't reach them. Hurts too bad do any of you have that problem!!! But Do my hands!!!

Rastagirl
04-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey, Wrightrs, I don't have germs on my legs... :)

Do you mean the problem of reaching your feet? I had that problem when my hips were going bad and needed replacements. Ouch...couldn't lean forward, couldn't lean sideways...so painful. That's pretty much when I stopped painting my own toenails and left it to the pros. I've had my hips fixed, but I still enjoy having someone else do it for me.

That's a sweet thing for you to do....thinking of the shut ins. That can really make someone's day. There's a lady that comes to my Grandmother's assisted living center and does manicures for the elderly ladies. My Grandmother was so excited to get her nails done for her birthday.

Hugs to you....for being kind!

Lori :heart:

wrightrs
04-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Lori, They spray everybody just in case!!!! Yeah, can't reach feet!!!! I can scrub them with long Foot file (was going to say pedi file but that doesn't sound nice."Nail Tech Joke") I can't reach feet to do detail work!!! And when I polish my toes get it everywhere but toe nails.!!!

lucky7
04-16-2009, 03:20 PM
YOU GIRLS ARE TOO CUTE! Its fun to catch up on a later day with you cuz i puts a smile on my face:You_Rock_Emoticon: