PDA

View Full Version : The Problem With So Many Doctors

wrightrs
04-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Like most people with Lupus, I have a lot of doctors.:soapbox1: When I tell one doctor about a problem I have. They always tell me to tell another doctor.:looking2: Then when I tell the other doctor. They tell me to tell another doctor.:headphones1: It's a big run around and nothing gets done.:outtahere: I was wondering about how any of you handle this!!!

KATROACH1972
04-14-2009, 11:45 AM
We all relate totally! It is soooooo hard to find a good competent Dr, thats not arrogant or has a God complex, where he is always right, your always wrong and makes you feel like a hypochondriac! Sorry, sweetie! I cant tell you how to deal with them. I still breakdown like crybaby when I try to talk to them. Hugs Kathy

lucky7
04-14-2009, 12:01 PM
You know what has HELPED in this area with me Wrightrs?! My husband goes to EVERY appt i have, he can intimidate the drs by just BEING there,this makes them more alert and attentive we've noticed! LOL Boy is Kathy right though, they act "God like" and dont you dare question them! BLAH BLAH BLAH is what is what i say to that! Talk to the hand mo fo!! :nana: Yo HAVE to be STRONG and ASSERTIVE. It might take you moving from dr to dr alot to get to the right one but you just dont back down! WOMAN POWER!!!! :banana: My husband says what i CANT say or what i FORGET to say so often. He jots notes (which usually makes them watch their Ps and Qs LOL) while we talk to the dr, we take a printout to EVERY dr of EVERY symptom i have or have EVER had during this whole time of me being ill. You just HAVE TO PUSH PUSH PUSH!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!:rocketwhore: You CAN WIN this battle!!!!!

Bonita
04-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Like most people with Lupus, I have a lot of doctors.:soapbox1: When I tell one doctor about a problem I have. They always tell me to tell another doctor.:looking2: Then when I tell the other doctor. They tell me to tell another doctor.:headphones1: It's a big run around and nothing gets done.:outtahere: I was wondering about how any of you handle this!!!I am sorry that you do not have a good doctor who listens i feel fortunte to have one who even calls me back on my cell phone when i call with something. Bonita

lucky7
04-14-2009, 12:22 PM
HOORAY BONITA!!!! Thats HARD to find in a doctor!! Im REALLY HAPPY for you, that makes a BIG difference in your care! You have one of those RARE ones!!! :9:

wrightrs
04-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks so much Jeannette that's a big help!!! I will find someone to go with me. My husband usually can't go, because of work. One of my Doctors won't let you bring somebody in with you. I tried there one time. And I do need to keep a list of my symptoms also!!!

mountaindreamer
04-14-2009, 02:35 PM
if you encounter a dr. that will not allow someone to take notes for you, then you need to change drs. and explain why. I have never heard of such nonsense....i tink he should be reported to the medical board,,,,what the hell is he doing that no one can witness.

wrightrs
04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks Phyllis, Some of my doctors. I would consider changing. But that doctor, I wouldn't I've been going to him for years. He's my PC. Most of my family goes to him. Although he doesn't get Lupus at all. He complaints about his lupus patients in general to me. He Says all of his lupus patients does this, always come in with a list of things wrong with them, but you can't find what it is. He also didn't like it when I got my diagnosis, Because another doctor found it. He was like well I checked all that and nothing showed up. He didn't send me to the rheumy another doctor did. I'm sure that frustrated him. But he's the only doctor I feel like I can talk to. He feels like part of the family. I know it sounds crazy to keep him.

Angel Oliver
04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
OH MY DO I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH :yes:. You would not believe the things they put me through. I so understand you.

Oh and Bonita......please give my number to your doctor :)

love
Angel.xxxx

wrightrs
04-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Kathy, Angel, Bonita,:laugh: And I might need that number too!!!:yes::silence2::raspberry1:

Angel Oliver
04-14-2009, 04:19 PM
:laughing-at-you:

lucky7
04-15-2009, 11:42 AM
WOW Wrightrs! Im with Phyllis on this one! Screw him on not letting anyone in with you! He has something hes not confident about,shoot he didnt even diagnose you and he complains to you about other patients. That is REALLY LOOPY POOPY!!!:crazy: He needs to learn some bedside manners. Its exactly what i went through with my old PC. I was with her for 13yrs and i left her just recently and it was the BEST thing i ever did. Believe me, i loved her for a long time, but when i think about it, its only because i was never sick so i didnt get on her nerves. I got on her nerves and SHE rolled her eyes about my charted symptoms when i started getting really sick. Going to her often because i was getting nowhere with her and my symptoms persisted, well, she did not like me bothering her with an actual illness. WELl EXCUSE ME B****! Just what do you think you are here for? :chairshot: No skin off my back though, I have a GREAT dr now whos behind me all the way! WOO HOO!!! Just think about it Wrightrs cuz i would hate to see you not get the CARE you DESERVE.

wrightrs
04-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks Jeanette,:yes: Maybe if I keep going to him. He'll learn more about lupus!!:wacko: I can talk to him and tell him how I feel. He does listen to what I say! But I don't like it when I tell one doctor about a problem and they tell me to tell another doctor.:skeptical: Because none of them do anything!!! You just go around in circles:rolling-crazy:And all my doctors do it!!! Their all so busy they just want to pass you to someone else. But then the next doctor does the same thing!!!

lucky7
04-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Boy do i hear you on that one Wrightrs! They dont want to spend the time on you cuz they have so many people to shuffle through so they can line their pockets! BIG BUTTHEADS!:loser:

wrightrs
04-15-2009, 06:46 PM
They do line thier pockets!!!:no-no: And HMOs & PPO control them.:silence2: My PPO calls my docs about changing my meds and and other things. I use to go to eye doc 2 times a year for my Lupus eye exam.:5: Til my PPO made me change to once a year!!!:rolling-crazy:

mountaindreamer
04-15-2009, 07:55 PM
wrghtrs,

are you on plaquenil? i am, and my eye dr. appointments are covered under my ppo medical, because of the eye concerns associated with plaquenil. I just called the ins. co. and explained why i needed to see eye dr., and they gave me the approval, the eye dr. just has to put the appropriate code when they file for insurance. you might want to check.

as far as PC dr....i too, for years, went to my long-time family dr. I went to him one time when i was having trouble with the initial onset of lupus.....his response to me was, "well, you are fat and depressed...take care of both of these and you will feel better." he had a few other choice words about me, and offered me valium. I never went back.

My family continued to go because "he was the family dr." When he almost let my brother die from a ruptured appendix (he said it was a pulled muscle causing the pain), my brother had to have emergency surgery and a huge chunk of his intestines had to be removed. My family finally changed drs.

You must do what is right for you....you will probably not be able to change/educate him, and i am concerned that you are not going to a dr. that is familiar and compasstionate about lupus and its attacks on our bodies.

How is the weather in NC....love that state

Rastagirl
04-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Wow, reading this thread makes me so sad for the state of things in doctorland today.

I have something, from my doctor, that I'll bet not one single person on this forum has....

His home phone number!

I haven't had to use it in years, but back when I was first diagnosed with Lupus, only 18 years old, and my mom and I were very scared, my Lupus doctor gave me his home telephone number. He is the sweetest doctor in the entire world. I was very, very sick for the first 5 years or so, and he didn't want me to end up in the ER for something he might be able to take care of himself. He saved me quite a few trips to the ER.

I remember I even had to call him while I was on my honeymoon in Maui. I was sooooo sick, having a major flare, fevers, joint pains (yep, on my honeymoon), and I sat on the floor of a phone booth cause I could barely stand up, with my husband standing right outside, and I called my doctor collect. I remember I was so embarrassed....I kept apologizing for calling collect, told him I'd pay him back...he just chuckled and said, Not to worry, let's just get you better, Lori. He helped me adjust my Prednisone and called in a prescription for some paid medication. He even talked to my husband and told him what to watch for in case I needed to go to the ER. What a Godsend this man has been to me.

Like I said, I've rarely had to call him outside the office over the years with Lupus, but I bet if I had to do so tomorrow, he'd still be as kind and gracious as the first time I saw him.

Don't give up searching for a doctor that listens and cares. I have to believe that there are still some of them out there.

Fondly,

Lori :heart:

wrightrs
04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Phyllis, I take Plqauenil and I would have my Lupus eye exam 2x a year. My PPO wrote my Ophth to change me to 1x a year. My Rheumy wants me to go 2x a year. My PPO also writes my doctors asking them if they could stop or change meds. To cut cost.

Doctors I go to are:PCP, Rheumy, Pulm, Cardio, Gastro, Endo, Urol, Vasucular Surgeon, 0pht, Derm, Gyn,

Need to start: Neuro, Nephro.

mountaindreamer
04-16-2009, 01:49 PM
man oh man, the insurance company is making this difficult.

i have another option. Do you participate through your employer? If so, you might try to contact the personnel dept., explain to them what is happening, and see if they will contact the insurance company for a waiver.....my company representative will do this, and sometimes it works.

jeese lady, you must support half of the drs. in your area....so sorry you have to see so many.

don't know if it is an option or if it will work, but maybe it is worth a try.

wrightrs
04-16-2009, 02:27 PM
I participate thought husbands employer!!! Its self insured. But this month going to stop been self insured. Everything's going to cost us more and going to get less. We have a lot medical bills. Afraid to go to the Doctor because they might send me for more test. And we will get more bills. His employer always sides with insurance

lucky7
04-16-2009, 03:13 PM
AWWW< sorry about what your brother went through Phyllis! :no:

mountaindreamer
04-16-2009, 05:32 PM
oh yuk, wrightrs,

i am so sorry, wish things could be different.

wrightrs
04-16-2009, 11:42 PM
I just don't like it when I tell a doctor about a problem,and they tell me to tell another doctor. Then the next doctor does the same thing. I just want them to try to find a solution instead of them just trying to get rid of me.

rob
04-17-2009, 08:22 AM
I've gone round and round with some real jerk doctors over the years. Once, I told one that I've known Undertakers with better bedside manners. His office took me off of their Christmas card list. What a rebel I am.

lucky7
04-17-2009, 11:11 AM
LOL ROB, you ALWAYS make me LAUGH!!!!! Im sure thats a card you dont mind NOT receiving! :laugh:

wrightrs
04-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Rob, Know what you mean!!! Hope your feeling better!!!

KATROACH1972
04-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Wish those jerks could spend just one day in our shoes! The day my feet stink really bad! lol Kathy

wrightrs
04-17-2009, 05:43 PM
I wish they could too Kathy. It so frustrating dealing with them. It takes to long for them to ever do anything. I get so tried of going to appointments and they do nothing. I have better things I can do with my time than sit in doctor offices for no reason!!!

lucky7
04-18-2009, 11:20 AM
LOL Kathy! STINKY FEET!!!!

mountaindreamer
04-18-2009, 11:59 AM
i have walked out of many drs. offices, and i took them off my christmas list.

:chairshot: bad drs. get the chair.

lucky7
04-18-2009, 12:03 PM
LOL Phyllis, I LIKE that! :laugh:

wrightrs
04-18-2009, 03:11 PM
PUT DOCTOR COMPLAINTS HERE!!!!!!!!!

:silence2::pokey::5::crying6:

mountaindreamer
04-19-2009, 10:53 AM
hey becky,

don't forget the chair....:chairshot:

lucky7
04-19-2009, 11:09 AM
LOL :raspberry1:

wrightrs
04-19-2009, 04:57 PM
And don't forget this either!!!
:beat-dead-horse::no-no::smashfreakB::buttkick:

wrightrs
04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Most of my doctor appointments are coming up next month. I have a lot of things that I hope I'll will be able to get addressed, instead put off again. I think I'm so easy on my doctors. They know they can get rid of me fast.
:hissyfit::wacko::skeptical::wideeyed:

AyahsClan
04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS

Sorry had to vent.

Today I had the last appointment I'll ever go to with my local yokal doctor who is too old to be doctoring anyway.

I have to drive 2 freeeeeeking hours from now on to get to Loma Linda to see my rheumy for every little problem needing meds.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhg

I got sick of the merry go round of 5 different docs I used to have to see but it looks like I don't have a choice anymore.

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE THEM

AyahsClan
04-20-2009, 05:43 PM
oh yeah get this, my jaw doesn't work, cant chew food, trigimineal nerve inflamed (pain from the depths of hell), heart rate is 100 resting, half of my face/head burns even 1/2 of my toungue, and what does he give me?

FREE SAMPLES OF VESICARE. That is a bladder med. There were THREE drug salesmen in there and how much you wanna bet one was peddling Vesicare.

wrightrs
04-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Phyllis, I ment to tell you. I was sorry about your brother, but when Start to write I forget what I'm going to say.

mountaindreamer
04-21-2009, 06:23 AM
thanks becky,

he is doing great now. everything is fine,

hi ayahsclan,

i am so sorry that you are a member of the "i hate drs. club" I so wish they could be the honest and compassionate people that makes us feel comfortable putting our faith into.....reality blows up our dreams.

wrightrs
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS I HATE DOCTORS

Sorry had to vent.

Today I hiad the last appointment I'll ever go to with my local yokal doctor who is too old to be doctoring anyway.

I have to drive 2 freeeeeeking hours from now on to get to Loma Linda to see my rheumy for every little problem needing meds.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhg

I got sick of the merry go round of 5 different docs I used to have to see but it looks like I don't have a choice anymore.

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE THEM

Sorry you have drive so far. That would really be frustrating. I hope they see more than 2 mins like some of mine do.

I have a doc I wish would retire too. He's my Ortho. He wants me to have knee surgery. But I won't do it because I think he's to old to do surgery.

wrightrs
04-21-2009, 11:24 AM
oh yeah get this, my jaw doesn't work, cant chew food, trigimineal nerve inflamed (pain from the depths of hell), heart rate is 100 resting, half of my face/head burns even 1/2 of my toungue, and what does he give me?

FREE SAMPLES OF VESICARE. That is a bladder med. There were THREE drug salesmen in there and how much you wanna bet one was peddling Vesicare.

One of the Hospitals here in Charlotte stopped a allowing the doc's that are affiliated them to give drug samples, or get visits from salesmen. But I don't go to any of them. So I have to deal with salesmen

mountaindreamer
04-21-2009, 07:34 PM
it amazes me everytime i go to a dr., i sit there waiting for my turn, some cute pill pusher walks in, the staff gets all friendly, and the pill pusher gets to go back while is sit in the hard chair in pain ....waiting for someone to call my name.

AyahsClan
04-21-2009, 11:15 PM
it amazes me everytime i go to a dr., i sit there waiting for my turn, some cute pill pusher walks in, the staff gets all friendly, and the pill pusher gets to go back while is sit in the hard chair in pain ....waiting for someone to call my name.

yeah I turned to mush yesterday...I guess maybe we are afraid of burning bridges with these demi gods who hold so much power over us. It made me angry waiting 45 minutes past my appointment so these pill pushers can yuk it up with my doctor.

I went through 3 local doctors when I first moved here. I walked in, told him my medical history and asked them "can you handle me because I am a complicated patient, please do not say yes if you are not sure." It went well for almost 10 years as he did take care of everything; lupus, HH, etc. not great but kept me going. I had to do research before I went in and lead him to what to do by acting stupid by asking questions.

An oral sergeon pulled out one broken tooth today but refused to pull any more. He said my teeth are fine but at least he did know about the trig condition. It was a very pleasant experience, he listened. We drove only an hour to see him but well worth the trip. He put me under before he did anything.

What the heck! My teeth are "fine" but hurt like hell, they will not pull until one breaks. If my sinus flares my upper teeth are all unbearably painful. Any ear, tooth, throat or jaw flair and the trig is inflamed. They don't get it.

AyahsClan
04-21-2009, 11:17 PM
One of the Hospitals here in Charlotte stopped a allowing the doc's that are affiliated them to give drug samples, or get visits from salesmen. But I don't go to any of them. So I have to deal with salesmen

It sucks, the whole system sucks. Too much corruption and loss of ethics. Do these doctors actually RESEARCH these drugs by non biased sources? I doubt most of them do.

wrightrs
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm feel really bad. Flu and Flares don't mix. Feel worse today. Don't want to go to doc, because they won't do anything for flu.

lucky7
04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
OMG Phyllis! I so HEAR you!!! That is SO TRUE! I see the same thing! Just throw those pills at us and dont really SPEND the time LISTENING to us to address the problem in maybe some other "natural" way first! Stinking pill pushers! :devil3:

AyahsClan
04-22-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm feel really bad. Flu and Flares don't mix. Feel worse today. Don't want to go to doc, because they won't do anything for flu.

I'm sorry. I call these days "sick on sick" but you might want to reconsider the doctor visit just in case. As much as we despise them you could have something going on other than the flu, or even a complication from it.

I know, it seems like a waste of time.

Hope you feel much better tomorrow.

wrightrs
04-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm sorry. I call these days "sick on sick" but you might want to reconsider the doctor visit just in case. As much as we despise them you could have something going on other than the flu, or even a complication from it.

I know, it seems like a waste of time.

Hope you feel much better tomorrow.

Thanks I have appointments real soon. I would go sooner but have transportation problems!!! Hope your well also!!!

mountaindreamer
04-22-2009, 05:46 PM
oh becky dear,

sorry about the flue and flare....yuk the dreaded double f. I would probably keep myself knocked out with flue medicine....

my daughter has the neatest thing she does for her kids....she get a warm humidifier, and has the kids hold an umbrella over their heads and breath the steam. does this for 5 minutes and their heads loosen up...do you have a humidifier and an umbrella?

all of the pollen can't possibly be helping.

hope you feel better as the day goes on.

wrightrs
04-22-2009, 06:12 PM
oh becky dear,

sorry about the flue and flare....yuk the dreaded double f. I would probably keep myself knocked out with flue medicine....

my daughter has the neatest thing she does for her kids....she get a warm humidifier, and has the kids hold an umbrella over their heads and breath the steam. does this for 5 minutes and their heads loosen up...do you have a humidifier and an umbrella?

all of the pollen can't possibly be helping.

hope you feel better as the day goes on.

Thanks so much, My husband has flu now too!!! He can try that. I have Sleep Apnea and use a CPAP Machine. It has stream so the air doesn't dry me out to much. So now that I'm stuffy that really helps.

Hope your feeling well today!!!