PDA

View Full Version : Lupron?

kukukajoo
04-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Anyone been given lupron to induce temp. medicinal menopause during treatment? I have never heard of this but it was given to a friend's daughter yesterday without any explanation of the major side effects of this medicine.

They want her to start Cytoxan ASAP for stage IV lupus nephritis and she is only 18. No explanation of possible sterility with the Cytoxan treatments either!

Thanking you in advance for your input!

Saysusie
04-12-2009, 03:36 AM
Information regardin Lupron:

GENERIC NAME: LEUPROLIDE - INJECTION - BRAND NAME(S): Lupron

This medication is a synthetic hormone. When it is used, the body stops producing testosterone hormones in males and estrogen hormones in females. When the medication is stopped, hormone levels return to normal. Leuprolide is used in the treatment of prostate cancer in men, early puberty in children, and anemia (due to uterine fibroid tumors) in women. It is also used for ovarian protection during cyclophosphamide therapy of women with severe SLE.

This medication may cause nausea, vomiting, hot flashes, night sweats, bone pain, swelling of feet and ankles, headache, or difficulty urinating the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication. Your doctor should be immediately notified if any of the following develop: rapid heartbeat, chest pain, breathing difficulties, fever, chills, painful urination, testicular or prostate pain (men), persistent irritation at the injection site,

Rare but serious side effects: severe headache, vision changes, severe drowsiness, unusual or one-sided weakness.

I hope that this information helps you.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Oluwa
04-12-2009, 06:33 AM
I was on Lupron when we were trying to conceive through INVITRO..not for SLE treatment.

I don't know if it was the Lupron or the Gonal F...but I was a mess emotionally. I would cry and laugh simultaneously, because I knew I had nothing to cry about...

Between gasps of sobs and tears, I would laugh.."I don't don't"..(suck up snot)...(laugh)..."why I am crying"...sob...laugh... Weird...I felt weird.

So, let her know it maybe the medicine if she feels she is on a roller coaster emotional ride...

Love,
Oluwa

TERIOD
04-13-2009, 05:38 AM
My wife and I went through Invitro several years ago also, My wife has developed some of side effects above also with the site of the injections, they get very painful pinched nerve type of pains which no doctors can explain, I have read where this has happened before with lupron,

Terry

kukukajoo
04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks Saysuzie, I am aware of the medicine itself, just not the applications regarding Lupus such as how commonly it is used, etc.

I have found nothing about how well it allegedly protects the ovary function, just that it is thought to provide protection while on the Chemo meds which in turn may protect childbearing ability. My concern is if this doesn't work, then this poor girl will never have her own kids.

Oluwa, that is exactly the reactions that scare me! I researched Lupron extensively many years ago when the doc wanted to give to me for a treatment for gyn issues and refused to consider it and became so opposed to it!!

I am praying this young woman does not have these, but the probability is likely... She is only 18 and already on such a rollercoaster ride.

Oluwa
04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
If there is money and time could she try freezing her eggs?

Maybe you will find something in the following links regarding the study of induced menopause to protect the ovums...

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/results/ovarian-suppression1206
http://ww5.komen.org/ExternalNewsArticle.aspx?newsID=36057
http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/17/1/74

Hope this yields some answers for you...

Give her our best wishes and I will say a prayer for her...

Love,
Oluwa

Saysusie
04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Kukajoo;
I've done a search to see why Lupron is prescribed to Lupus patients. I found a lot of information about it being used in conjunction with Cytoxan (Cyclophosphamide). But, like you, I am having difficulty finding information about why it is prescribed for Lupus patients.

The best that I can figure out is that there is a risk of ovarian failure with Cytoxan and the Lupron is prescribed to minimize or prevent that failure. If she is of child-bearing age and is prescribed Cytoxan, it is incumbent upon doctors to preserve her ability to have children.

I hope that this helps
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie