PDA

View Full Version : temporary fix?



rosebud
04-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi group,

I'm three months into my lupus diagnosis and still not on treatment (a combination of my doctor having a baby and me traveling internationally). I have an appointment tomorrow where we're supposed to talk about using immuran. The problem is that I am in such intense pain in my joints (and they are all swollen and hot), that I don't think I can wait another 8 weeks for it to work. I am strongly adversed to taking prednisone except in dire emergencies, given that it can coax my crohn's disease out of remission by making me steroid dependent. I was wondering if anyone here has tried a steroid dose pack for pain, like the kind they give you for drug-induced lupus? I think 6 or 7 days on steroids wouldn't be too big of a risk if it gave a decent return.

mountaindreamer
04-10-2009, 08:34 AM
hi rosebud,

my rheumy gave me a script for the steroid dose pack, so that if i ever need it, i won't have to wait to see her. I have not filled it yet.

my rheumy would not start me on immunesuppresant while in flare. first, she got me out of the flare with a medrol injection, then started me on methotrexate. i hate the side effects, but have really felt better since i started it a couple of weeks ago. our hope is that with mtx, i won't have to take high doses of steroids....don't know if it will work, but we are trying.

the medrol injection was only 120 mg of steroids, and is only given 3 or 4 times a year....so dosage was small, but it knocked me out of the flare.

hope your appt. goes ok today.

sick n tired
04-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Hey Rosebud,

My rheumy gave me an script for prednisone and told me to take the 7 day plan, but he gave more in the bottle so if I ever need some I can call him and then take them....

rosebud
04-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Well, I did the 6-day pack, which knocked out the joint pain for a total of 3 days (but they were 3 good days!). I started imuran on the same day as the prednisone, and yesterday I developed a fever. Today it's up to 102 and they've pulled the imuran until they can figure out why. I'm a little distraught because that now makes me intolerant to remicade, 6MP, methotrexate, and potentially imuran. Do you guys know whether it's possible to just run a fever temporarily or if it always means you can't take the drug? The same thing happened to me with 6MP, but it took several weeks longer.