PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone?

new to lupus
04-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Hi all,

I saw my doctor yesterday and he recommended Prednisone for me for a total of 10 days to attempt to reduce the joint pain. I started it yesterday morning 10 tabs 5mg each was my first dosage, and then this morning I have to take 9 tabs 5mg each and so on. I woke up this morning with severe wrist pain. My question is, How long does it take for the medication to take affect? And should I continue to have joint pain? Thanks in advance.

Be well,
Cindy

gina
04-09-2009, 05:58 AM
I am not sure but someone should be along to help you. i refuse to take the steroids and deal with the pain or take tramadol or lorotabs. i don't care for the side affects that steroids do to you.
but just be patient someone will be along to help you. :laugh:

justanangel
04-09-2009, 06:45 AM
For me, it takes around 3 days for steriods to take effect, and my pain comes back the lower I go. It has just come back at 10mg. This is only my experience, I don't wake up in pain, my pain turns up as the afternoon goes on unless I have had a really bad night and then it will still be there in the morning.

RedHairAngel
04-13-2009, 12:12 PM
good luck on that prednisone - it takes a few days to kick in and when it does it works great just watch then side effects (Mood swings, weight gain (lots of weight and fast) sleeplessness, restlessness, the jitters) not a fun drug but one that works.

RedHairANgel

dsunshine
04-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I am on prednisone... When I was first diagnosed in early Nov. 2008 I was on 30mg and now I am down to 5mg. Each time my doctor tappered me down on a lower dosage I had flare ups. I don't know if it helps with the pain but I too had painful swelling in my knees, feet and hands. TERRIBLE! I couldn't make a fist. I have to say one thing that has helped me a lot is medical marijuana...brownies to be exact as I do not smoke and didn't want to start for the sake of being out pain. They are extremely strong and help 100% with my pain but I only eat half of one at night just before I go to sleep. You might want to look into this as an alternative. I know a lot of people are against medical marijuana and I too was one of these people until I was diagnosed and the pain was driving me crazy...if the wind blew too hard it would hurt me and uncontrollable crying. Not anymore.

Ria0331
04-19-2009, 11:30 PM
that is a new one for me medical marijuana for pain. I take hydrocodones for my pain but will be seeing my new doc on tuesday and who knows what she will be putting me on. I'm glad that you have found a good way to manage your pain.

dmott
04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I noticed that you take tramadol and loratabs for the pain. does the tramadol not make you sleepy? I am suppose to take 100 mg three times a day but can only take it once a day because I get to sleepy.
:hissyfit:

pamjw
04-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I wAS ON PREDNISONE years back for 4 years and it helped then, no weight gain.
I am back on it now and it has made me feel better, its been 2 weeks, started at 20 mg, now on 15, when I feel leveled out I will go to 10 mg and so on. So far I have lost weight.:skeptical: I try to snack on fresh fruit and vegies, not sweets.:yes: I'd rather try the prednisone than some of the other drugs. I also have been on plaquinal for 10 years.
As for the med marijuana, I tried some cause I was in so much pain. It made it way worse. Not for me!!
Red angel How much weight have you gained, I am worried about it
Pam

:grumpy:

dmott
04-23-2009, 08:10 AM
I saw your post asking about the weight gain on prednisone. I think everyone is different so people gain and some people lose. I have gained 82 lbs being on this drug for 9 years. I am only taken 10 mg every day (unlesss going through a flare) but being on this drug for so long as given me cushings syndrome so please be very careful when taken this medicine. Your doctor will know the correct dose to give you.:yes:

mortifiedat52
05-06-2009, 04:52 AM
when i first started taking prednisone, i noticed some improvement after a week.. but it took about a month to see major improvement..

AChronic
05-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi dmott,

I've also developed Cushing's after being on prednisone for 20+ years and have gained about as much as you if not a little more. At this point I don't gain any weight but don't lose any either. It can be quite frustrating because it gets more difficult to drop weight once the 'thick trunk' develops.

I was diagnosed back in the 80's and prednisone was it. There were no other choices. It is a drug that helps me a lot, it's just unfortunate there are so many side effects.

I saw your post asking about the weight gain on prednisone. I think everyone is different so people gain and some people lose. I have gained 82 lbs being on this drug for 9 years. I am only taken 10 mg every day (unlesss going through a flare) but being on this drug for so long as given me cushings syndrome so please be very careful when taken this medicine. Your doctor will know the correct dose to give you.:yes:

maguadalupe
05-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Sorry that you feeling bad and having joint pain just take one day at a time . some days will be bad some days will be good.

maria

Bonita
05-17-2009, 01:09 PM
I have been on predinisone for almost 2 years different mg and it really is a good drug but the lower the dose the more of your symptoms come back. Weight gain has not been and issue with me because i lost 60 lbs over 4 years agao an have kept it off. My doctor has just taken me off the imuran after a year and a half because my blood counts were really low but i am also on plaquinel and my pains in my joints are commming back again and i have had the worst heartburn i have ever had and do not know if that is from not having the imuran but i also have barrote esophegus. Bonita

nesne1
05-20-2009, 09:15 PM
I was feeling better within a week but it was a big dosage 25mg... I'm having problems now that my dosage has been lowered but I have to keep on a lower dosage for diagnostic purposes. It tends to absolve all your symptoms and mask your blood results and stuff I guess. I have been on it for 7 weeks now and not put on any weight. I'm not sure if I've had side effects because my body is out of control at the moment anyway... Good luck!

KATROACH1972
05-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Its aggravating to think all this time and they still are basically using the same medicines! over and over! and prednisone has such bad sideeffects longterm its crazy! i have only taken it 2 and half years everyday, 5- 60 mgs , but unfortunately I have gained 35lbs, and it has masked a uti for atleast 4 months, and now, I cant even fight the uti with 4 rounds of high dose antibiotics. i am on Cellcept 2 so I am sure that doesnt help. I still get inflammation even with the prednisones, cellceppts, ect... I too really wish more medicines and research will change up our medication options! Kathy

DrinkofWtr
06-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Not only are the medicines the same ones that have been used forever, but I think about how lupus never has had a really high profile person, or celebrity, other than Ellen Degeneres as an advocate. It seems like all the other groups, AIDS, Muscular Dystrophy, etc., have had several. No wonder lupus hasn't had the recognition it so rightly deserves!!!

KATROACH1972
06-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Thats very true! I read where Michael Jackson has it? There is a website that I found when I typed in Celebrities with Lupus and it had 15 or so peole on it. I will see if I can find it. http://cure4lupus.org/awareness/celebrities.htm

froggal
06-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi Cindy! Oh steroids . . . SO much fun! It usually takes a few days for them to work when I take them. However, I do not gain weight, I lose weight! They affect everyone differently. I have to take them in the morning because they give me a huge burst of energy! (then I tend to over-do things because I have energy) Unfortunately, you have to figure it out by trial and error because everyone is so different. I hope you start feeling better, and I hope that you get it figured out soon!

froggal
06-05-2009, 03:48 PM
I just saw the end of a comercial for lupus on TV! (I just flipped the TV on right after I posted my last reply) I dont think that anyone famous was in it, but it was advertising a website called could I have lupus. Has anyone seen the whole commercial?

justomegirlindallas
06-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmVk3YXN76o

Bonita
01-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I have been on prednisone for 825 days 7mg as of now and plaquinel for 425 days and methotrexate 20 mg for 14 weeks and my joints still hurt hope something will kick in soon. Bonita

smokerscat94
01-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi Cindy, I have been on and off prednisone for 15 yrs. It works well to control the inflammation, but yes there are lots of side effects. I am currently at 15mg. It took me a while to be able to get down to this level. I am still trying to taper down, but the last taper I tried failed. I got down to 10mg and all hell broke lose in my body again. I called my rheumy and he told me to go back up to a level that was comfortable. I found myself at 15mg. I was on a taper 3 times since August of 60mg taper down. I haven't been able to completely go off of it. They have me on it waiting for the plaquenil to kick in. It usually takes 3 days to a week for me to notice a difference when starting prednisone. Then you should notice a definate decrease in swelling and pain. I am virtually pain free right now at 15 mg. I have been struggling with the arthritis pain and migraines. The prednisone has taken care of my joints, and my primary put me on a prophylactic migraine medicine. The Nortriptyline seems to be preventing my migraines, which were everyday occurences. Good Luck and I hope that the prednisone works for you. Try not to stay on it too long as it can cause multiple of other problems. Take Care Gentle Hugs(((((((XXXXX)))))))

Nonna
01-23-2010, 02:13 AM
I just got off the prednizone. Yes, it kicks butt with the pain; but I gained 10 pounds. Big setback for me. No more predizone for me, unless the pain flares majorly. Would someone tell me exactly what Plaquenil does and is for? I'm on that also. Oh the meds I take........

nonna

justomegirlindallas
01-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I short strong burst I think is better in the long run than long term tapered dose for some people. Its less dangerous than the long term doses. I seem to have few side effects as long as I'm on it for less than 2 weeks. I'm not supposed to be on prednisone due to cardiac risks so we're weaning off. I gain a lot of weight on it but it is water from the edema mostly as it negatively impacts my blood pressures. It takes about 2 days to notice significant anti-inflammatory effects. it helps my joints but mostly my other organs. Some people are not on prednisone for pain, they're on it to survive. (Folks with organ involvement will take it to prevent major issues associated with the organ involvement) If you are being given it for pain only usually not recommended for long term use unless nothing else works just like with narcotics. Tramadol is non narcotic though it makes some people sleepy. The prescription nSAIDS are used for inflammation related pain but again - contraindicated in cardiac patients. I think the highest prednisone I was on was 60mg starting out like you and worked my way down over 10 days. As long as you are not on it more than 10 days and dont need it a lot your adrenals will usually be fine. Just make sure your doctors know you're on prednisone because it can make your blood look wonky.
Hope you get well soon.

mabeljane
02-16-2010, 12:25 PM
:thumbs-up:Hi, I am on pred, only started it on 5th February at 30mg for one week, then tapering down to 25mg for 2 days, 20mg for 2 days, then 5mg on a regular basis. It began to work within 3 days, it was an amazing relief!! much less pain, and could walk upstairs properly for the first time in over a year!! I know about the side effects, so far all is ok. My main worry is that when I get down to the regular dose of 5mg that it wont work anymore. i also take tramadol 100mg x 4 I dont find they make me sleepy but we are all different. I work with babies, nannying, so need to be mobile, so its worth the side effects. My main concern will be the weight gain, I am trying to be careful and hoping for the best. I honestly couldnt believe the difference it made its given me such a better quality of life this past week. I hope it works for you, and that the side effects are minimal. Take care

Hunniebun
04-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I started prednisone on march 10th and I've noticed it has worked a little, I can actually tolerate myself now where as before when I was on plaquenil, I couldn't stand it and don't want to go back on that drug. I take 5mgs every day so I guess I don't need to worry too much about gaining weight since thats such a tiny dosage? Unless my rheum increases it if I get worse, which I really hope won't happen, I just don't know. I'm a very tiny and very skinny person so gaining 10-15, maybe even 20lbs really wouldn't hurt me all that much, but I don't want to gain more than that. I'm sure it affects everybody differently, so far the side affects I have noticed are insomnia(one in a while though, not every night), increased appetite, bloating, nausea and throbbing headaches.
I know steroids are no good for you but I'd rather be on this then go back on plaquenil and starve again, it just doesn't agree with me at all, plus I have a very, very hard time swallowing pills so this tiny 5mg tablet is much easier for me to deal with. Rheum says I need to be on this to get my body under control plus to avoid possible organ involvement.
Bah I hate pills in general...Ha.

Summertime
04-05-2010, 02:29 AM
As far as prednisone, I took 10mg for 5 days, and then did a medrol pack to taper off of it. I didn't see any results for the first week or two, but week three and four I felt amazing, still had a little pain, but tolerable. Week five and six, I started to go down hill, and now I think I need another round. But the side effects were brutal on me. I felt crazy, jittery, emotional, spaztic, restless, insomnia, it was bad. Not sure if the good out weighs the bad. But for me personally, it took a while for the drug to kick in, and it stuck with me for a while, but when it wears off you remember how bad it was, and then make the choice to go thru the knarly side effects again.

Nonna
04-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Funny I was reading through this thread and saw I had gained 10 pounds due to the prednizone. I had to go back on it. but now need to ask about a replacement as it's made my twitches and hand tremors much worse.

Oh well,

Nonna

Pain - the mind is supreme, the mind rules, according to my logic there is no pain........ thanks Mr. Spock

Hunniebun
04-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Has anybody broken out with acne problems due to the prednisone? I haven't had acne since I was in my teens and all of the sudden I have started breaking out.

Saysusie
04-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I've never had this problem but I know that Prednisone is used as a treatment for acne so it is weird that it would actually cause acne. Hope someone with experience will come along to help you:yes:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Hunniebun
04-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Oh really? I didn't know that, I was just curious because all of the sudden its showing up and I'm not sure why other than stress, my diet hasn't changed either. Thanks though!

MicRoMediC
04-21-2010, 07:45 PM
i've taken two packs like this, i felt better while i was on them but then they were through and i went right back to where i started. i see my rheumy in june, i'm going to probably convince him to put me on long term steroids.