PDA

View Full Version : Female question

froggal
04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I am having surgery at the end of the month. I am having a complete hysterectomy. My doc says that women with lupus that still have those "parts" can often make the situation better by having a complete hysterectomy. Apparently it can be very hard on a women with lupus for her body to go thru all the motions of having a period every month and producing estrogen naturally. He also says that it has about a 40% chance of improving my situation, so of course I agreed to do it because 40% seems pretty high. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

mountaindreamer
04-08-2009, 04:00 PM
wow froggal,

i had a hysterectomy when i was 30 years old due to what was diagnosed as endometriosis (did not have treatment for it that long ago). i can tell you that i have never regretted that decision. However, i can not tell you if it will make a difference with lupus....
my ovaries were left in, i now have a lot of pain on sides of pelvic area, but i have not seen a dr. (appt. is in may). don't know if mine is related to lupus or not.

this is an interesting question, and should make for an educational thread.

wrightrs
04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
I had a Hysteroscopy around a year ago because of endometrium polyps (not cancer) But still having problems. And I've also wonder If getting a Hysterectomy would help my Lupus symptoms:unsure:

NoodleMom
04-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I had a uterine ablation last July for fibroids and excessive bleeding. The doc didnt s ay one way or another if it was related to or would help my lupus. He did say that I probably wouldnt have a period again. That didnt happen for me I still have periods. I can say that I went into a huge flare after the surgery. I am just now coming out of that flare.(knock on wood, crossing my fingers, whistin' dixie anything that may help)

K

froggal
04-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Doc swears it will help any woman who is done having children with lupus. I guess I will truly see at the end of the month!! THank you all for your thoughts, ideas, and replies. This really is an interesting question.

gina
04-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Ihad a hyst. in dec of 2008, my doc said it would help me. he took me off of birth-control pills they were causing flares bad, tied tubes but later in life had bleeding etc.

since i have had this done i still have ovaries i have had less flares if you want to call them that. the joint pain in my hips and back is better. my drive is higher than it was on the pill. my obgyn thinks this was the best thing for me. just remember we are all different so what works for one might not work for another. and my obgyn told me when i was in my twenties doctors are practioners which means we practice med. we are not gods. so i have stuck with what he says ever since. and he believes its better for me and i have had less flares it seem to me when cycle was coming was more tired and hurt more now i don't have that every month. hope this helps:dance:

Oluwa
04-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Is it an elective surgery, Froggal? If so, I am very concerned..I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. I am post menopause, naturally and I have flares....I am 48..

From my reads, research over the last several years I have never read to remove you reproductive organs to lessen the symptoms, or prevent flares of Lupus...

If you have your ovaries left behind, they still produce estrogen, so I don't understand the connection, prevention or managing flares, Gina.

I would rethink that, Froggal... I would also seek a second opinion, especially since he, your doctor swears it will help because there is no study that even says estrogen plays a definite role....it is still a controversial subject. And I would recommend you to do more research on this.

Questions are, will you be on HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy)...or is he just going to leave you wham bam..into menopause and symptoms with no help. What if you are hit hard my menopause symptoms. No therapy? Yikes, times it is much harder than gradually entering menopause.

Wishing you the best if you persue this...
Hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

froggal
04-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I wouldnt necessarily call it elective. I have had serious other problems for years concerning my uterus/ovaries. They are taking it all out because it would be pointless to remove my uterus and not my ovaries. I have bled for as many as 23 days at one time in a month. It is definately not something that I have decided to do in haste. They wanted to remove everything when I was 25, I am now 35 and a little more comfortable about letting them do it. The doc swears that it will help reduce my pain and flare-ups especially since I do suffer from lupusnephritis. Thank you so much for all your info and personal knowledge. I really appreciate the people here and the warm welcome I have recieved!!

gina
04-15-2009, 05:27 AM
my ex husband made the doctor leave my ovaries he was going to take them out. but the birth control pills is what made my flares worse. not my natural estrogen. i had to have hyst. for other reasons but was taken off birthcontrol pills because of the flares by my obgyn too. sorry for the confusion by brain and typing don't go hand in hand. they also said it was better for my body to go thru menopause naturally not to be put on meds for not haveing ovaries. my obgyn believes in not takeing pills unless its a last resort.

again all doctors and patients are different you have to do what you think best for you and your body.

debbie-b
04-15-2009, 07:12 AM
Is it an elective surgery, Froggal? If so, I am very concerned..I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. I am post menopause, naturally and I have flares....I am 48..

From my reads, research over the last several years I have never read to remove you reproductive organs to lessen the symptoms, or prevent flares of Lupus...

If you have your ovaries left behind, they still produce estrogen, so I don't understand the connection, prevention or managing flares, Gina.

I would rethink that, Froggal... I would also seek a second opinion, especially since he, your doctor swears it will help because there is no study that even says estrogen plays a definite role....it is still a controversial subject. And I would recommend you to do more research on this.

Questions are, will you be on HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy)...or is he just going to leave you wham bam..into menopause and symptoms with no help. What if you are hit hard my menopause symptoms. No therapy? Yikes, times it is much harder than gradually entering menopause.

Wishing you the best if you persue this...
Hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

I have to agree with you, i am post menopausal (53) and I have alot of flares. For that reason alone, I would not have a hyst. You must get a second opinion, if you didn't alraedy do that.

Debbie

lucky7
04-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi Froggal! OMG, this is what i go throughEVERY month! My PMS flares me so BAD! It scares my husband and i so much cuz every month for 1-2 weeks im on the couch more than ever because i have EVERY symptom. Its bad! I have a new gyno im going to next month and my husband and i have already decided from our research and from others on this site that im getting an operation to deal with this issue. This is weakening our bodies that much quicker and we DONT need that!:no:

tiggerlishus - Heidi
04-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Omg what an interesting thread i have not even thought about this before but it all makes sense to me my gyno took me off the pill as he said they effect the lupus so the only forms of contraception was condoms and non hormonal coil ( this is in england not usa) and i also have polycyctic ovaries and they have said that can effect the lupus.
And now looking back on systems on weekly basis my systems seem to worsen around week and half before i am due on till halve way throu my period thou being only 29 with out any children yet i don't think i could even contiplate have hystractmy but it is deffo interesting to see what others think x

Niki
04-24-2009, 07:48 AM
I had an ovarian cyst on my right ovary in 2001. My OB/GYN talked with my husband and I and told us that a hysterectomy was the best solution. I was 30yrs old, and had my tubes tied since I was 22. I came through the surgery and he left one ovary. It took me longer to heal, and I have noticed, me personally that I have had more flares and less remissions since the surgery. I will say that the Methotrexate, even with the crappy side effects, has been the one med that actually showed signs of improvement. I'm not talking 100% improvement, but quite a bit of my RA pain has been reduced. After 10yrs, Ill take any kind of improvement I can get.

Nicole

RedHairAngel
04-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago I still have my overies but that is it. I still flair and now I get ovarian cysts like you wouldn't believe. I would really really think about the hysterectomy, I regret ever having one. It is such a drastic move and there is little research out there that supports the improving quality of life of lupus. I hurt more now then I did before the surgery. Good luck

Debbi

lucky7
04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Oh WOW Debbi! I am so sorry for your pain and discomfort you now have to deal with. Thank you for the info. I havent heard your story before. You have been a big help, i just might be taking another route. My husband doesnt want me to have the surgery anyways,he wants another route cuz the surgery scares him. Hugs to youXXXXXXXXXXX

froggal
05-02-2009, 02:36 AM
I also suffer from low platelets due to lupus so me bleeding for 23 days at a time was not good. I have had the surgery. (a week ago) I can already tell the difference in my pain level, as soon as I can get fully recovered I will post with better results, but after a week of what others would consider a horrible recovery, I am so glad that I had it done!

lucky7
05-04-2009, 01:34 PM
AWWWW, Im glad the surgery went ok for you Froggal! My Gyno just said today (i have PMS SO bad and im flareing so BAD cuz of it right now) taht she wants to think hard about what would be BEST for me, shes concerned about making my Lupus worse. UGH! Dang WOMANLY HORMONES! LOL :skeptical:

wrightrs
05-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I think I need to have this surgery. But I know it's really hard to go thought this surgery. I helped my Mother get through it. I watch my mother in-law go though it too.

froggal
05-05-2009, 12:30 AM
I am having a HE** of a time recovering. I have been put back in the hospital once and I have been to the doctor 3 times since the surgery and I only had the surgery 11 days ago!! I do not regret any of it however, my pain is already different than what it was before. I NO longer have back pain!!!

Pretti in Pink
05-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear about the additional hospital visit, but glad that you are finding some relief.

lucky7
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Well Froggal as they say "out of something bad comes something good"! Right?!:thumbs-up:Hope you dont have to make anymore hospital visits!:wacko:

froggal
05-11-2009, 10:18 AM
I just spent another 6 days in the hospital . . . I still do not regret having the surgery! I am no longer bleeding (only from my incisions) and like I said before my back no longer hurts. The complications I am having are due to my lupus. This is one of the best decisions I have made in a long time!:yes:

gina
05-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I am glad you feel that way. i do to about mine have a great day.

DrinkofWtr
05-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I had a hysterectomy when I was 32. It helped me tremendously with the pain associated with the menses. First I had my tubes tied which didn't help the severe menstrual pain I was having since I first had the menses at age 12. The main reason though I had the hysterectomy was because I had had a 2 lb. baby and didn't want to go through having another premature baby. I was eventually diagnosed with a bicornate uterus which was like a built in IUD and causing me to go into premature labor.

If having the hysterectomy helped me with lupus that would have been a bonus effect of the surgery. I really don't know if it helped the lupus or not.

lucky7
05-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Life can really throw us some curve balls at times huh:no: STAY STRONG:cute: We take it one day at a time:thumbs-up:

sick n tired
05-13-2009, 04:28 PM
I had a partial hysterectomy 12 years ago...the overies are still in...I was in an emergency situation and the doc was right to take it...that said, I would never elect to do it...sometimes the 21 day period could be the flooding of menopause...you might be almost through all this stuff anyway...

abbasgirl
05-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Froggal I'm so sorry you had to be hospitalized but so glad that pain is gone. Sorry about the complications but once you've mended you're gonna be even more happier. I am still so pleased I got rid of that monster. We have enough to deal with as it is, right? :)

May God bless you and heal you quickly. (((hugs)))

lucky7
05-15-2009, 12:15 PM
AWWWWW, I LOVE your KITTY CAT piture!!!! CUTE!!!! I like that word used to describe it! MONSTER! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:devil3:

froggal
05-16-2009, 12:53 AM
I am not missing my uterus at ALL!!! I do however miss the way my boobs looked before my body stopped producing estrogen!! We are working on getting the estrogen part right!!!

iseedeadmonkeys
05-16-2009, 06:36 AM
I cannot wait to have the damn thing out tbh, i dont need it, im not planning on ever having kids.......eww even the thought of having summin growing inside me freaks the hell out of me! (no offence to any mothers) but kids? nah not my cuppa tyvm, id prob leave it at the supermarket.

Ive heard about having it out, but aint i little younge atm?

hmm i will ask the next time i see Kevvy baby

peace
ISDM
xx

ButterflyRN
05-16-2009, 07:07 AM
I have never heard of a hysterectomy helping lupus.