PDA

View Full Version : accutane and lupus

sickofbeingsick
04-06-2009, 06:53 PM
I was on accutane about 5 years ago. Is there any correlation between the two? If lupus can be linked to accutane, does it go away when the drug is stopped?

mountaindreamer
04-06-2009, 07:19 PM
hi sickofbeingsick,

i have never heard of accutane, and i have never heard of "lupus going away". Also, i am not aware of anything that is specifically linked to the onset of lupus.

good question, let's see what others can offer.

BonusMom
04-06-2009, 07:23 PM
I've taken two courses of Accutane in the early-mid 90's. I've not heard that there is a connection between SLE and Accutane, nor have I heard that Lupus ever "goes away" although there are periods of remission.

sick n tired
04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
You aretalking about the Drug induced variety of Lupus. That form is where certain meds cause symptoms of Lupus...when the patient is taken off these meds the lupus symptoms go away...Yes, Accutane is listed as one of those medicines.

Rastagirl
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
At the risk of sounding foolish....what is Accutane for?

Thanks in advance....

Lori :cool2:

p.s. I could go google it...but I'm feeling a bit lazy today and recovering from a nasty visual migrane...my head can't take too many words on one page. :)

sick n tired
04-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Accutaine is used to treat severe nodular acne....

sick n tired
04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
I found this on another thread that talks about drug induced lupus...it was written by Saysusie...

SLE is irreverisble, however, drug-induced Lupus generally is reversible when the drug is dicontinued. They symptoms of drug-induced lupus generally DO NOT include involvement of the kidneys or the central nervous system.
The drugs that are most commonly associated with drug-induced LUPUS include:
1. Procainamide (Procan, Pronestyl) used for heart rhythm abnormalities.
2. Hydralazine (Apresoline, Apresazide) used for high blood pressure.
3. Quinidine, used for heart rhythm abnormalities
4. Isoniazid (INH) used for tuberculosis
5. Phenytoin (Dilantin) used for confulsive disorders or seizures.
There are other drugs wich may possibly be associated with drug-induced LUPUS (DIL), but there is not definitive proof yet. Experts say that most of the drugs associated with DIL can be safely used in people with SLE or cutaneous lupus (discoidal) IF there are no other alternatives.

mountaindreamer
04-07-2009, 08:38 AM
very good sickntired,

i had forgotten all about "drug induced lupus". thanks for reminding me.