PDA

View Full Version : New member from Brazil

Renan
04-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Everybody!

My name's Renan and I'm Brazilian.

First of all, I don't have Lupus. But my girlfriend has just told me she has.

And now I wanna know a little bit more about Lupus. We can find a lot of things on Internet, but I think I can't trust most of them. So I wanna learn about Lupus with people who has this sickness.

Please, don't think I'm being unrespectfull or something like that. I just wanna understand about Lupus. I know it's really difficult to my girlfriend talking about Lupus and I don't wanna ignore it. I really wanna know about it to understand her and support her =)

Well... that's it! Hope to be welcome here :P

Greetings from Brazil!

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I'm sorry about any English mistake! :P

mountaindreamer
04-06-2009, 12:34 PM
hi renan,

absolutely, you are welcome to join our caring and knowlegeable group. your english was perfect.....from you post, i can tell that your girlfriend has a wonderful man to stand beside her. we have other husbands who have joined for the purpose of learning about lupus and how to help their wives.

there is a lot of information in the "sticky" threads in each section of the forum. you can learn a lot from these. also, any questions you have, there is always someone who can help.

again, welcome to our circle of friends, and your girlfriend is welcome to join us as well.

sick n tired
04-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Hey Renan,

Welcome to this forum...let me start by telling you how awesome I think you are...so many people don't really want to know or will tell their friend/or loved one that they don't really look sick...many become irritated, but you are here finding out so you can support her...

No your post was not disrespectful in the slightest...so no worries on that front..and your english is almost flawless....

So
Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease that occurs when your body's immune system attacks your own tissues and organs. Inflammation caused by lupus can affect many different body systems, including your joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, heart and lungs.

Four types of lupus exist systemic lupus erythematosus, discoid lupus erythematosus, drug-induced lupus erythematosus and neonatal lupus. Of these, systemic lupus erythematosus is the most common and serious form of lupus.

The outlook for people with lupus was once grim, but diagnosis and treatment of lupus has improved considerably. With treatment, most people with lupus can lead active lives.

Some people have mild cases that means their organs arent being attacked...they still are ill and at times have much pain, but it is alot less serious.

No two cases of lupus are exactly alike. Signs and symptoms may come on suddenly or develop slowly, may be mild or severe, and may be temporary or permanent. Most people with lupus experience episodes called "flares" of worsening signs and symptoms that eventually improve or even disappear completely for a time.

The signs and symptoms of lupus that you experience will depend on which body systems are affected by the disease. But, in general, lupus signs and symptoms may include:

Fatigue
Fever
Weight loss or gain
Joint pain, stiffness and swelling
Butterfly-shaped rash (malar rash) on the face that covers the cheeks and bridge of the nose
Skin lesions that appear or worsen with sun exposure
Mouth sores
Hair loss (alopecia)
Fingers and toes that turn white or blue when exposed to cold or during stressful periods (Raynaud's phenomenon)
Shortness of breath
Chest pain
Dry eyes
Easy bruising
Anxiety
Depression
Memory loss
If you look around on the forum you will be able to find sticky's and these are much better than me at explaining all about Lupus....

Renan
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
People,

Thank you very much about all the welcomes. I'm really glad!

And thanks about saying I'm a good man. I'm just trying to understand her and don't let her feel she's different from the others because she's not!

I promisse I'll learn as much as I can about Lupus to support my dear girlfriend and even another people.

Be sure: I'll be the one who'll let her out of all bad feelings about Lupus.

Thank you very much again!

lucky7
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Just wanted to WELCOME you Renan! WOW, i have to say it too, what a good man you are to take this step for the woman you love! This is going to HELP her TREMENDOUSLY! My husband is by my side every step of the way and it makes a world of difference!:smlove2: By you learning about this illness yourself you will be able to help her through the flares, you might think of something to help in the moment that she cant think of. You can make her rest when you see that she NEEDS it and she doesnt think she does. I know my husband HAS to MAKE me ly down sometimes because i can get into such a "brain fog moment" to where it makes me a little delerious so i dont make such good decisions at the moment! Can you say LOOPY!:wacko: You also will be the ONE person who BELIEVES her through every symptom to come and that IS SO IMPORTANT since so many people DONT believe we are ill, some drs included. This is a sneaky disease with so many symptoms she's going to feel like shes going crazy sometimes but lucky for her she has YOU! :angelic:You'll be her angel when she needs one! By the way, you talked about your English not being so well, Shoot, us Lupies dont even notice because as you read more posts you'll see that ours isnt either! LOL :) One of the MANY things Lupus does to us!!

ashleybaby715
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
hi renan! first off, your english seems pretty fine to me!
its nice to see that you want to get involved in this whole lupus thing for your girlfriend. alot of times, people who dont have it, dont understand. and its good to see you want to learn about it and everything!!

feel free to message me with any questions you might have!!

-Ashley

rob
04-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Hello Renan,

My name is Rob, and I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus five years ago. Welcome to our group. I'm very sorry to hear that your girlfriend has been diagnosed with Lupus. It can be a very difficult thing for a person to deal with. Many people with Lupus, especially those who have just been diagnosed, feel incredibly scared, and alone, even if they have a significant other in their life. Unfortunately, many people who have a wife or girlfriend with Lupus, do not want to learn about the disease, and give no support to the one they love. It doesn't have to be that way.

The fact that you are here, and willing to learn, will help her more than you could know right now. Lupus is tough, but's it's not the end. People have to make adjustments in order to live with it, but you can still live a great life, and thrive despite it. To have just one person who understands, can make such a difference to the person with Lupus.

Please know that you do not have to have Lupus to be a member here. Many of our members here are family members and friends who do not have Lupus. You, they, are all welcome here. Feel free to ask any questions you need to, and don't be afraid to jump into the conversation whenever you want.

Rob

P.S. Your English is just fine!

Renan
04-07-2009, 04:08 AM
Thank you very much, people!

I've been searching for information about Lupus on internet. As I said, I can't trust in all of the information I read on internet, them I'm here to learn.

I've been also reading some topics here to understand and find the answers to my questions!

PS: About my English, I'm an English Teacher here in Brazil. And I knew her at school, learning English. Nowadays we both are Teachers at the same school. But I was afraid of being not that clear writing here :)

mountaindreamer
04-07-2009, 08:24 AM
hi renan,

what a beautiful quote you have chosen for you signature...thanks for making me think again about the true meaning of the cross.

hope you and your girlfriend are having a good day.

Renan
04-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi mountaindreamer!

Actually, I haven't written all the quote! It's missing some parts. I've chosen just my favourite part.

The complete quote:

"Remember, my child: Without innocence the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion & Ocean Soul's nothing but a name... The Child bless thee & keep thee forever"

This is a quote from a song called Bless The Child, by Nightwish.

Rastagirl
04-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Hello and Welcome, Renan.... :wavey:

I'm popping in kind of late to welcome you....glad you decided to join us, and I'm pleased that you're trying to educate yourself about Lupus, and very happy to know that you're eager to be a strong support for your girlfriend.

I wish there were more boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, and others that would be that caring and thoughtful of what their partners are going through with this illness. As others have already said, it can be absolutely crucial to have someone, even 'one' someone, that wants to be there to support and understand what those of us with Lupus go through. It's not an easy road and most times, a very lonely one.

We're an easygoing group here, with plenty of compassion and we're always eager to help with your questions. Our members are pretty diverse too...you'll find we're scattered around the globe, and we come from all walks of life.

As an English teacher, do you teach children or adults? Your English is quite easy to read...so no worries. And if you don't understand any of our English, feel free to ask us to explain...we'll be happy to help.

I just wanted to say hello and send you a greeting all the way from Portland, Oregon. How is the weather in Sao Paulo? You live in an absolutely beautiful city....and country.

I wish both you and your girlfriend the best...

Fondly,

Lori :cool2:

Renan
04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Rastagirl!

Thank you very much!

Answering your questions: I'm a teacher at a Language School. One of the most famous of Brazil, called "CNA" (Cultural Norte Americano). So I teach both, children and adults.

The day is cloudy today in Sao Paulo! And yes, I do live in a really beautiful city and country! :P

I think the weather here is almost the same as Seattle! =)

Rastagirl
04-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Same as Seattle? I thought Brazil was much warmer....

Aren't you hot and humid that far south?

Renan
04-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Sure! Brazil is warmer!

But here, in the south of Brazil, we have cold weathers, too! =P

But I know it's not the same. I was thinking about the rain when I said. It rains a lot here in Sao Paulo.

LOL

Thamires
04-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Hello everyone!
Well, I guess I'm the lucky one who has this awesome person right beside me... Thanks to all of you for your support and specially to Renan, my love. I always thought I was lucky for having you in my life, but now I'm sure about it! Like you said me, you're my angel!

Guys, I got really happy when Renan showed me this forum. It's really nice to know that there are people just like me, who really understands me and who are willing to talk about it without hurting feelings. I'm sure we can help each other like this.

I hope I'll be welcome here!
And thanks again, to all of you!

Rastagirl
04-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Oh, Thamires, you are more than welcome here! I am so happy to see you posting.....this is so cool, we got to meet Renan, and now you've joined.

What a joy to meet you. I'm Lori and I've lived with Lupus since I was 18....27 years now. So, I've got a few years of experience with Lupus. I've been very blessed to be in remission for the past 15 years or so. Praise God! I've been married for 25 years and have 2 children, a son and a daughter.

Just wanted to say Hi and tell you guys I'm so glad you have found each other for love and support. You are both blessed. And I'm happy you've found your way to our forum home.

You are welcomed with open arms.

Hugs from Portland, Oregon! :hug:

Saysusie
04-12-2009, 01:34 AM
I am Saysusie, one of the moderators of this forum. I am quite late in welcoming you, but so happy to see both of you here. As you've seen, this is a place filled with the most understanding, kind, & supportive people. Everyone here is open and willing to share. It is important to all of us that each member knows that they are not alone and that every single person here knows that we care about them. You've joined a wonderful family:grouphug:

This family has become quite global and I am happy to have members from Brazil. I've been to Brazil once and found it to be an absolutely beautiful country. We were there for Carnival in Rio de Janeiro..one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced in my life!!

I am so happy that you both are here and I know that you will make great friends here and find that no question will go unanswered and no ask for help will be ignored!

Welcome
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ashleybaby715
04-12-2009, 01:42 PM
hi renan!
i am agreeing with what you heard, that you can't trust everything you read on the internet. some people blow things way out of proportion! you could think your reading a death sentence, when in reality its really not! go to well known websites like www.lupus.org
things along those line. those are trust - worthy sites!

i hope your girlfriend is feeling ok. and i hope your ok as well ! :]

mountaindreamer
04-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Oh Thamires,

You have made my Easter weekend. It is so nice to meet you, and to know that you trust us enough to be a part of our family. No ocean is large enough to keep us apart, and it is wonderful to add you and Renan to our group.

Any time you have a question, please feel free to ask....we talk about everything here, and are always open for new topics.

I hope you are feeling ok, and I am so glad that you decided to join.

Angel Oliver
04-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Just to say hello and welcome.So glad you have found us all. Everyone here are lovely and will be very helpful to you and funny too at times. You ask anything and watch as many members come to your aid.

love
Angel.xxxx

Bonita
04-13-2009, 05:29 AM
Hi mountaindreamer!

Actually, I haven't written all the quote! It's missing some parts. I've chosen just my favourite part.

The complete quote:

"Remember, my child: Without innocence the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion & Ocean Soul's nothing but a name... The Child bless thee & keep thee forever"

This is a quote from a song called Bless The Child, by Nightwish.

Welcome Renan i am fairly new to this site but there are so many caring people here and i do not have anyone close who has this diease and they have been very helpfull. The Cross just proves how much God loves us enough to sent His Son in our place. God Bless you Bonita

TobyJug
04-14-2009, 04:22 AM
hey just wanted to say welcome...
Nice to see someone like u join to be able to offer more support to ur gf...

anyway welcome

Rastagirl
05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello Renan and Thamires...

Hope you both are doing well....staying well.

How're things in Brazil?

Thinking of you both......

Fondly,

MicRoMediC
05-01-2009, 07:03 PM
renan-
welcome. i'm so glad you're willing to learn. i have been blessed with a great boyfriend that is also willing to research. don't worry about your english, some of us here in the US can't even speak or type correctly. anyway, welcome and ask any questions you have!

Thamires
05-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey Lori!
I'm so glad you remembered us!
We're both doing fine! I'd say more than fine *_*
And you, dear? how r u doing?

Rastagirl
05-01-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm doing well....always happy when it's Friday. I like the weekends. Any plans for your weekend?

Just finished a late dinner....Mexican food....yum, my favorite...and an ice cold beer.

Been sitting here texting my girlfriend in Florida and catching up with her news.

And, let's see....it's my dog, Cooper's, 7th birthday today. Went out and bought him a HUGE bone. I took a picture of him with it....I might head over and post it in one of my photo albums. He's a sweet Golden Retriever.

So glad to hear from you again. Please say hello to Renan for me. :veryhappy:

Hugs,

mountaindreamer
05-02-2009, 07:52 AM
hi thamires,

so glad that lori called you back up. it is great to hear that you and renan are going so well, it is obvious that you two are a great partner for each other.

have you been feeling ok? what treatment are you on, and how is it working? please stay in touch, it would be so nice if we all could meet each other.

hope you are having a great weekend, and hope your weather is very nice.

lucky7
05-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Well HI Thamires!!! Im so GLAD you jumped on to join us!!!! I was hopeing you would!!! WOO HOO to you!!!! Im glad Renan found us for the both of you!! Hes GREAT! Having the one you love beside you really helps, my hubbies been GREAT too!! Every dr we go to tells him that too! I told him to not get too much of a swelled head! LOL:wacko: We are here for you and i hope we can help you through this! Its tough but we are all STRONGER than we give ourselves credit for!!! GO THAMIRES!!!:thumbs-up: