PDA

View Full Version : Common Questions from New Members

admin
04-04-2009, 06:48 PM
I receive emails from time to time with similiar questions, so I'll start posting those questions and answers here. This is for questions about forums, software and navigating our community features. For Lupus related questions please see our main forum.

If you are a new member and have a question about how the forum functions work, please post here so we can add it to our questions. Thanks!

What is a blog? A blog is like an online notebook to post your thoughts. You can treat it like a diary, or a place to post recipes, schematics, your favorite poetry, jokes. You can also add photos and attachments. Every member has their own blog. See the "Blogs" link on the top navigation bar.

What is the difference between a thread and a post? A thread is a collection of posts. When someone makes a post on a new subject in a forum, then a thread has started on that subject. Other members add their own posts to that thread. In general, the individual posts are on the same general subject. Think of our forum as a fabric, and each "thread" is what makes the fabric or content of our forum. This thread you are reading is about "Common Questions from New Members".

What is an Avatar? An avatar is the picture/image/photo associated with your account. It's part of your online identity. You can upload an Avatar in your control panel. See the "User CP" link on the top left of the navigation bar.

How do I change my statistics? Statistics on your account are generated by your activity on our forum. They change automatically according to your actions. Individual elements like password, Avatar, blogs posts, etc. can be changed or added in your control panel. See the "User CP" link on the top left of the navigation bar.

Saysusie
04-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Thank You, Conrad! :yes:

mountaindreamer
04-07-2009, 01:38 PM
could you please list the basic operational guidelines for private messaging. for example, when we respond to a pm, do we delete the originators message, or scroll down to the bottom and add ours?

sometimes, i have trouble when i want to send a new pm while i am in the window that allows me to read my messages. the only way i know how to send a pm from this window, is to completly back out with arrow button till i get to main menu for pms, and then i can find the link on the left side.....i know this makes no sense....if you will just put a few instructions down, i am sure they will help, as you can see, i no nothing.

thanks for your contributions...i love the forum.

Saysusie
04-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Your message will usually go on top of the originator's message. However, I usually delete the originator's message after or before I respond to a pm.
I also will print the originators message so that I can respond to everything they've said and not have to back up to the message.
Also, you can click on the originator's name (it is always in blue, meaning it is a hyperlink) and it will give you a drop down list with options. One of the options is to send a private message to that person. You can click on a member's name anywhere in the forum and it will either take you to their page or give you a drop down menu!

I hope that this is helpful! Perhaps someone will be along with even more information for you!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Rastagirl
04-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Conrad..

My Private Message folder is almost full and I was wondering if there's a fast way to delete more than one message at a time?

I've been having to open each Private Message and scroll down and check the 'delete' box and then click 'delete this message', over and over again.

I tried checking all the little boxes on the right side of the screen and then hitting the delete button on my keyboard, but that didn't work.

Just wondering if there's another option....

Thanks,

Lori :cool2:

mountaindreamer
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
thanks saysusie,

yes, you answered my question, and i appreciate it. I knew i was missing something, and it is the drop down screen on the left side....

everyday, i am thankful for you and this group.

Oluwa
04-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Hi Conrad...

Happy Friday or is it Thursday or Saturday in your neck of the world....

Hey, I am getting lost in the posts. Prior we use to be able to see all new posts that we had not replied to, read or not... not just the ones that are new since the last time we logged in. I find myself going around in circles trying to find posts that I know I read or times I question, was it really there and Lupus is toying with me...

Also prior we were able to see posts that had not been answered at all, no repliers...

Can those features be implemented into this new site....?

Thank you for all you do..hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

Oluwa
04-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Lori...

The very first square, unchecked box..which indicates all PM message total in bold face..one click there, will enter all checks in all PM message boxes..and click delete in the scroll window at the bottom of the page.

If you want to do it by day...the first line on each day.. yesterday, Wednesday and etc..indicates all PM's that day in bold face number...click that box and it will click on all for that entire day.

If you want to just keep one message of the day..still click on the day's entire number bold face number and deselect just the one you want to keep by clicking on that one check mark..

Am I sounding like a sausage...confused you?

Hope it helps..

Loves,
Oluwa

Rastagirl
04-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Oluwa...

Worked like a charm!

It was a little sausagy at first, but I swam through my fog.....read it 3 times....and the lightbulb went on.....

I feel like such an idiot sometimes....looking at things right there on the page and just not seeing them.

I want my pre-Lupus brain back pleeeeaaasssssseee!! Thinking of the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz right now.... "If I only had a brainnnnnn!"

:thanks:
:veryhappy:

Oh, would ya look at what I did.....I used the smiley for 'thanks' first, hit enter and on the next line, used the veryhappy smiley.....and it looks like my smiley is saying thanks.

Guess I'm not an idiot....figured that one out all by my lonesome.

Hugs Oluwa....

Love,

wrightrs
04-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Would it be possible that we could have a place to do short quick blogs, like on twitter.

On twitter it ask "What are you doing?" Then has a place to write. Only a 140characters. About anything you want.

Then when we are feeling good, we can write long blogs in the current place we blog.

And short blogs in the short blogs place, when don't feel up to writing a lot!!!

Hope this makes since

Saysusie
04-18-2009, 11:53 AM
I've sent an e-mail to Conrad asking him to drop in to look at all of your questions. Hopefully he will do that soon and provide you all with some answers!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Rastagirl
04-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks Saysusie...

Mine's already been answered...

It's all good!

Oluwa
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM
You're welcome Lori. I am struggling a bit, keeping up with posts. So, I am going to my profile...Posts written by me to find out where I have been... I have many to reply to...not so user friendly....or it is me the user....

Thank you Saysusie for emailing Conrad...I guess maybe I am just so use to the old way..I will adapt....

Hugs..Bye.
Love,
Oluwa

mountaindreamer
04-20-2009, 11:13 AM
hi everyone,

i, like Oluwa, keep finding myself stumbliing over a thread that i did not realize had new posts to it. If the thread is not bold faced, i think there are no new posts, but that is not always the case.

I did not think about going to my profile and checking that way. thanks Oluwa, i will give it a try.

I really appreciate this thread, i always thought it was my limitations, or just good ole brain fog. it makes me feel better that others continue to wander around also.

mountaindreamer
04-20-2009, 02:15 PM
sorry, but i have another question.

i have added a member as a friend, but whenever she sends me a pm, it comes up under the guest column and not as my friend. Also, i can never find these pms after i have exited out....i keep loosing these before i can even repond.

so sorry to keep bothering you all, hopefully i will get this very soon.

sugarfoot52
04-23-2009, 10:27 AM
I posted a question about remicade about an hour ago and now I can't remember where I posted it.

Oluwa
04-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Here is is Sugarfoot... http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?t=6092&highlight=remicade

It is under Medications Forum....

L.,
O.

sugarfoot52
04-23-2009, 12:13 PM
thank you talk about brain farts

Pax4All
04-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Had a variety of symptoms but not yet diagnosed w/ Lupus. Going to the Rhuem next week. My most recent and distressing symptom is hair loss and wondering if anyone knows a remedy for that. I have always prided myself on beautiful, fairly thick hair that I consider to be my best asset. So this is quite distressing.

tgal
04-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Had a variety of symptoms but not yet diagnosed w/ Lupus. Going to the Rhuem next week. My most recent and distressing symptom is hair loss and wondering if anyone knows a remedy for that. I have always prided myself on beautiful, fairly thick hair that I consider to be my best asset. So this is quite distressing.

First let me welcome you to WHL. I am sorry that you have to be here but I am glad that you found us. If your doctor finds that you are suffering from Lupus he/she will put you on a medicine called "plaquenil". It takes several months to completely work but it does help with the hair loss.

Strawberry Shortcake
04-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Hi, I was recently diagnosed with lupus. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

dmollere
07-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the information. I was diagnosed with Lupus and Sjorgren's last year after several years of weird symptoms (burning eyes, dry mouth, overwhelming fatigue, joint and bone aches, well, you know the list). Although I was glad to finally have a diagnosis, I am still struggling to deal with these symptoms. The Plaquenil is off the table because of the horrible dreams, talking in my sleep, and hallucinations. I read where one person wrote that going to bed was like an adventure, not knowing what she'll experience that night - fright or wonder. When do I get a handle on this Lupus and Sjorgren's?

jmcminoway
07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
im new to this page dont know if im doing it right or not

jmcminoway
07-04-2012, 04:38 PM
i was diagnosed last year was put on plaquenil the weight started coming on with dizzy spells and eye problems anyone else with this problem

KittyKatAllen
11-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Urm i made a intro thread O_o? and it didnt come up so i redid a new one and it still didnt come up, can you tell me why please O_O i am so confused?

aurora_butterfly68
07-19-2013, 05:16 AM
hi new here and looking forward to meeting you all and chatting about lupus. but for now why do I keep getting invalid file when I try to upload a av pic and prof pic ?????

steve.b
07-19-2013, 07:13 PM
........... but for now why do I keep getting invalid file when I try to upload a av pic and prof pic ?????

at the moment there is a problem in the system. it will not allow anyone to upload pictures. our admin is having problems sorting it out.

aurora_butterfly68
07-19-2013, 09:59 PM
ok ty for telling me I was wodering what was going on with my puter heheheheh

Venny
05-03-2014, 06:50 AM
I am unable to make posts without a moderator approving, view blogs, add an avatar, add an profile picture, add friends, PM a moderator or Administrator (to tell them of the issue), and several other things on the board is "broken" for me.

steve.b
05-04-2014, 05:46 AM
hi venny,

on this site we have seen lots of people trying to post unapropriate information.
we have had so many spammers at times ....
that legitimate posts were lost in the garbage they posted.

unfortunately this required us to tighten our procedures for new members.

the system we have in place at the moment is one where .....
new members need to have there posts observed and approved by administrators.

once you have had several posts approved, this restriction is lifted.
but as an administrator, we look at every post ..... all of the time.

we do this to protect the majority of our members.
you will notice that soon you will not need this approval, ...
as you have passed the checkpoint, and can post without our first accepting your comments.

please remember we are also volunteers, and we consider this place our cyber family.
we are all hear to be a help to each other, .....
and we do not like spammers interrupting our peaceful and informative family.
i may personally disagree with a particular post, or point of view ......
but if it is within the guidelines of our community ..... it will be approved and visible to all.

Venny
05-04-2014, 07:39 AM
^ No problem. Thanks for accepting the posts.. *hugs*