PDA

View Full Version : Neck Issues

red246
04-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Good morning all! I have a question for anyone who cares to reply. Just something I thought of and haven't had a chance to talk to doc about yet. I have arthritis in my neck. Found out about it ~ 1 1/2 yrs ago. I had a headache that lasted a few weeks no relief from anything. Anyway that was the start of all my problems. Progressed to hand tingling. Had physical therapy - only made it worse. Eventually it faded away only to come back late last year when everything started up again.
I have noticed that when I am feeling my crappiest is when my arm acts up. Tingling, pain, weakness, dropping things. Neurologist is having me try pt again. I start this morning.
My question is this: Is it possible that when I'm "flaring" my spinal cord is swelling, which in turn would aggrevate it? Anyway just a thought! :cute:

gina
04-02-2009, 06:20 AM
I believe so, when i am flaring my lower back swells and i feel that the spine is being crushed together like someone pushing head and feet together in straight line and sometimes i can't walk pain so bad or bend to tie my shoes.
my doc sending me for physical therapy for five sessions to see if it helps but thinks its the lupus flareing and just wants to rule out anything else. i hope this helps you.:wacko:

goodboie1
04-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I believe that it could be related. During my worst days, the inflammation causes me pain in my neck, back and legs. My doc just put me on a Medrol pack for pain in my leg due to the inflammation, and within a day the pain was gone and the swelling was gone. I'm not a huge fan of steroids (was on them for long periods of time due to another autoimmune issue I have), but the medrol packs are great because they're short term. So, the PT may help you, but if you can't control the inflammation you may still have the pain.

Good luck!
be well-
Tracy

red246
04-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I just got back from seeing the therapist. He really doesn't think that at this point I need therapy. Currently my arm is not bothering me - it's been pretty good for about the past week. I guess I will have to talk to neuro about my thoughts on flares affecting it. According to the report from the radiologist my neck doesn't seem to have any changes from last mri. So, I go back to therapist in a week unless I have problems before then.
Thank you both for telling me of your experiences! It helps alot. :yes:

lucky7
04-02-2009, 12:55 PM
They do say Lupus inflames every part of our bodies and i CAN CONTEST to that! I too have the inflamation of the lower back/spine. What makes mine so much WORSE is that I had an MRI done of my back and it also shows that i have a broken L5 vertabrae and my disc wore away from it so now im grinding bone on bone. So when it inflames from a flare or for other reasons the pain is BAD. OUCH! :hissyfit: