PDA

View Full Version : Lupus, Pre-existing condition, Insurance, what give?

ewillies
04-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi everyone. My wife has Lupus now for about 15 years. She is doing fairly well on an experimental program but it has been 15 years of ups and downs as you are all aware of. Right now our biggest concern is insurance. I own a small business and was unable to renew my wife’s insurance a few years ago given that our plan I had was about to go under. I was able to get an HSA plan for our daughter and myself but no one would insure my wife. We finally got heir into the Texas High Risk Pool which is 3 times as costly as my daughter and my insurance combined. I also have a $10,000.00 deductable on our plan.

I am growing concern that with the budgetary problems in many states including Texas that eventually states will discontinue these high risk plan leaving everyone and I mean everyone with pre-existing conditions on the road to bankruptcy if any major hospitalization occurs.

I have become very politically active on the issue of healthcare and after researching options I have come to the conclusion that the only way out of our health care mess is some sort of single payer system that allows all of us to purchase insurance without being filtered for pre-existing conditions.

In order to put the fire under our President and Congress I am joining the effort to tell our health care stories, our realities so that those guys in Washington can see that the problem is real. I started a website at http://SinglePayerHealthcareNow.com. Please visit it and drop me a line and a picture so that we can get the ball rolling.

If others are interested in creating their own websites on this issue, I would be more than happy to help. We must let the government know we are not looking for giveaways but we want an efficient health care system that serves us all.

Thanks,

Egberto

kducks
04-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Good luck with the fight! One of my greatest concerns when I went to work was coming off of disability and losing my health insurance. Not that state coverage is the best, but it was at least something. I'm lucky enough to be at a company that has health benefits with no questions asked. Something does need to be done about health coverage in this country and it is great that you are willing to stand up to try to help change it.

Saysusie
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
My husband and I have often thought about changing our health care providers/insurance. However, as you mentioned, not one single provider would provide insurance for me because of my pre-existing chronic illness.
Our only saving grace was the fact that my diseases were diagnosed AFTER we found our current health care insurance/provider. So, they are obligated to continue to pay for my treatment, hospitalization, etc.
Another issue is that I cannot get life insurance from any company at all! The life insurance that I had dropped me when I was diagnosed with Lupus (unbelievable huh?).
I will check out your web site. I wish you the best of luck!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ewillies
04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Could you please write your story in two to five paragraphs email to me at info@SinglePayerHealthcareNow.com. A snapshot like is currently at the site would personolize like the one currently at the site.

Thanks

ewillies
04-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Saysusie & kducks

I would love if you could refer others with stories from the site that you know of as well.

Thanks

mountaindreamer
04-03-2009, 03:57 AM
hi ewillies,

thanks for caring enough to devote so much effort to medical insurance for the ill. i wish our health care opportunities were not so limiting.

i am showing my lack of knowledge, but if a person has insurance, with no lapse, then the new insurance company can not deny coverage....is this correct? my brain will not allow me to remember the specifics, but this was passed through legislation a few years back....

as i understand it, what you are advocating is that even with a lapse, insurance companies would not be able to deny coverage...is this corect? i think it is a great idea, i just want to make sure that i am accurate in my understanding of everything.

saysusie, i was advised prior to my dr. "formally" diagnosing me with lupus, to make sure that i had all of the life insurance that i needed because i would NOT be able to get any after diagnosis. that was a real slap in the face. i already had enough to worry about, then had to look at the financial realities of my estate, and my low energy level made all of it so difficult. i am a single mom, and do not want to be a financial burden on my children.

so wish things could be different.